Sign in to follow this  
Need-To-Know

Resource usage comparing - J4100, 737NGX, 777

I am curious about comparing these three AC in regards to VAS and basic computer performance.

I have the J4100 but not the others. With a recent (maybe temporary) return to FSX I felt I had my performance (mainly VAS) tuned pretty good until I installed the J4100 and FSCrew. Of course all of the over the top goodies where there too.

So last night with the real time opus bad weather, Orbx Alaska, Rex - and newly purchased FSCrew I was met with the ding ding from FSUIPC before even moving the AC. Ok Ok my fault more tuning and more tuning and close to being sorted now. ( I have hundreds of hours reading about tuning - if it has ever been written I have read it - haha - so not looking for tuning advice)

But wondering how you 737 and 777 guys do it? Does the newer code of the 737 and 777 perform better than the old J4100 girl? (I am in love with the J4100 BTW)

My system is pretty good 6 core (12threads) and 780. -not that that matters to VAS.

Robert Hollis

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Robert,

You will need to post actual system specs. I run a Toshiba Satellite with an AMD Quad Core Processor @1.5GHz with inbuilt Radeon HD Dual Graphics. I have all the PMDG products for FSX and you loose frames with both the 737 and 777. Depending on  your specs, it may be like mine (5-20 FPS) or better.

Pay attention to the pages in B77X Intro regarding VAS.  I had a temporary problem when my scenery sliders got pushed further right than normal for some playing around and I forgot to reset them.  Took me a couple days to figure that simple trick out.  Otherwise, I don't have OOMs.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is a very interesting issue.  As recently as yesterday I upgraded my video card but my computer specs are a little different than most as I am running my FSX on a Mac Pro that I boot in to Windows from the boot menu.  My specs are as follows:  Mac Pro 3.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 GB Sapphire 7950 3GB video card, 4 Western Digital 1 TB hard drives, 1 TB dedicated to my FS drives.

With all of that at FS Dreamteam Vancouver, I can taxi the 777 around with about 18FPS with a pretty good amount of scenery active and Ultimate Traffic II running at around 50%.  I have my configured my sim as per the into documents PMDG authored with the release of the 777.

I would like to get these numbers higher but I am at the end of my PC (mac) knowledge because after all, I am just a pilot who likes to mess with flight sim for fun.

DR

Yes basically what I was asking. Since the J4100 is an older product and maybe a sort of flag ship to bigger projects for PMDG (a coding learning curve if you will - grabbing at straws here :) ) and since it does not seem as complex as the 737 and 777.

I wonder if the VAS usage and actual FPS of the newer planes are heavier  or in line with the J4100.

I ask because in the future I may want to step up to the 777 - but if it is harder on VAS and FPS not sure if I would.

Currently flying good with a few adjustments to my sliders, UT2, and a few .cfg tweaks.

I do believe that the first time in the J4100 with FsCrew it used up the VAS so fast had to do with Orbx PAJN being a hefty AP. I remember in the past it OOM me almost always on approach and that was in GA AC.

Decent system: (but not immune to VAS...darn it)

i7 4930k 4.5 WC (6 cores 12 with HT) - Rampage IV Black Edition, CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB, EVGA GTX 780 Classified, Three 27" Screens, One 19" Touchscreen, Obsidian 800D, COOLER MASTER 1000w Gold Series, Multi Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Asus Xonar,

TrackIR 5, WARTHOG, MDF, Pedals, all saitek panels, yoke, GoFlight panels, STRIKE 5 Keyboard, RemoteFlight IPad, Asus N.C. Headphones, / Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Rob

Very few people have problems with VAS and OOM errors. They do happen, but if you manage your system they are unlikely.  In the B777 Introduction, PMDG states that the aircraft uses about 700-800 MB of VAS.  By far the biggest problem is photoreal scenery because FSX loads it into memory regardless of where it is in the world and it can take a lot of memory.  Some add-on airports include photoreal scenery in and around the airport so the simple solution is to only turn those on when using them.  Otherwise, the steps that need to be taken are not radical and you should be able to enjoy these complex products.

Full names in the PMDG forums please Rob.

Dan Downs KCRP

Full names in the PMDG forums please Rob.

Check the first post

Rob