Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

FSX VAS Testing - Memory Leak Fix Found

After getting many OOM problems with long 777 flights I have done some vas testing with fsx and the pmdg 777 over the past week.  Before I could not complete any long hauls but now I am able to do 14 hr + flights with no issue.  Ive been monitoring fsx vas usage with fsuipc and noticed that on some flights the vas usage slowly climbs higher until the sim crashes, all while at cruise altitude.  This is with or without addon airports enabled.  This is a memory leak situation.  Other flights would complete with no issue.  After some testing It was found that If the flight was started and scenery was then activated in the library, the sim would consume vas throught the cruise.  However if this was not done and scenery changes were made before starting the flight vas usage would decrease upon reaching cruise and remain relatively constant through a 14 hour flight.  Hopefully this will help some simmers as it has helped me.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

So, if you make a change to your scenery library after loading a flight, it doesn't leak memory?? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If I understand your post, this issue has already been addressed and you should enable sceneries you fly to/from only, with the help of SceneryConfigurator

So, if you make a change to your scenery library after loading a flight, it doesn't leak memory?? 

No its the opposite, make the changes before you load a flight.   Yragorn: this post has nothing to do with how many sceneries you have installed or activated, but instead has to do with enabling/disabling them before starting your flight.  However, less activated sceneries will lower your vas usage and the memory leak will take longer to crash the sim.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

No its the opposite, make the changes before you load a flight. Yragorn: this post has nothing to do with how many sceneries you have installed or activated, but instead has to do with enabling/disabling them before starting your flight. However, less activated sceneries will lower your vas usage and the memory leak will take longer to crash the sim.

Okay.  Uh...so, if you have some sceneries you're not even going to be close to, remove them and that, somehow helps?   What am I missing here?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Okay.  Uh...so, if you have some sceneries you're not even going to be close to, remove them and that, somehow helps?   What am I missing here?

Well yes that does help, but the main idea of the post was that I have identified something on my system at least that was a trigger for memory leaks.  It is not an end all fix for all OOM issues but rather something that many may be unaware of that can cause a memory leak.  Somehow messing with the scenery library during flight seems to cause an oom issue for me.

Gregg,

The best way is to get SceneryConfigEditor.  Set up the Group page so you  place sceneries into logical groups so its easy to find them quickly.  I have a group for FSX Base Scenery, ORBX Global, Vector & LC at the bottom of the list and I just leave them on all the time.  The airport scenery is by area (UK, Europe, USA, Canada, etc).  When I need to fly, I fire up the program turn on the airports I need and then start FSX.   Really simple to use and works very well.  I also you SimStarter to run a specific fsx.cfg for different types of flying.  Mostly I just change LOD radius from 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5.  I can normally use 5.5 for anything except the Concorde and then I use the LOD 4.5 setup.  I think with this combination you should be able to eliminate any OOM issues you are currently seeing.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

What am I missing here?

It still OOMs, but it just takes longer. And it doesn't matter how many sceneries you have, just keep them all active.

I disagree with that, I have over 800 entries if that is the case (keeping them all active). I can load a flight at let's say for example, Aerosoft Thesoliniki or Helsinki and get an instant OOM error.

If I only activate those two sceneries with SCE before my flight I can fly between them all day.

I also read that photo scenery loads no matter where you are (California will load while you are in Russia for example).

The best way is to get SceneryConfigEditor. Set up the Group page so you place sceneries into logical groups so its easy to find them quickly. I have a group for FSX Base Scenery, ORBX Global, Vector & LC at the bottom of the list and I just leave them on all the time. The airport scenery is by area (UK, Europe, USA, Canada, etc). When I need to fly, I fire up the program turn on the airports I need and then start FSX. Really simple to use and works very well. I also you SimStarter to run a specific fsx.cfg for different types of flying. Mostly I just change LOD radius from 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5. I can normally use 5.5 for anything except the Concorde and then I use the LOD 4.5 setup. I think with this combination you should be able to eliminate any OOM issues you are currently seeing.

Hmmm...I'll have to look into Scenery Config Editor.  I have SimStarter...just barely started using it.

I disagree with that, I have over 800 entries if that is the case (keeping them all active). I can load a flight at let's say for example, Aerosoft Thesoliniki or Helsinki and get an instant OOM error.

If I only activate those two sceneries with SCE before my flight I can fly between them all day.

I also read that photo scenery loads no matter where you are (California will load while you are in Russia for example).

Interesting stuff.

Gregg Seipp

Mmm, I never load up sceneries when in flight, I think that's asking for trouble. Everything is loaded before hand, though I do often check that ASN is engaged in the FSX Weather tab. And like other posters, every big airport I own is at the top of my scenery list and unchecked until I need it. 

It still OOMs, but it just takes longer. And it doesn't matter how many sceneries you have, just keep them all active.

Very bad advice!  I believe that Photo scenery will be loaded no matter WHERE you are in the world on any given flight so it would behove those with photo scenery areas to disable them if not actually flying there!

Using process monitor I have seen scenery files being loaded that were half way around the world from where I was flying for no apparent reason!

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Paul,

It's not my advice! It's what I TRIED to translate for Gregg that mess of advice from the OP.

My advice is to leave everything alone!

We know it doesn't change load times from that other thread about 2 weeks ago. And if users want to mess around with multiple setups with scenery activated or not, then that is totally up to them.

Always activated only the airports I'm flying to/from. Everything else gets deactivated. It's a regular practice and I do find it acceptable as I haven't had an OOM for ages now (if it ain't broken, don't fix it philosophy). As for editing the scenery library in flight, I'll agree. It tends to create more problems and weirdly increases VAS usage more than normal (tried this with Aerosoft Night Environment). I use Addit! Pro to make changes before loading up the sim.

Does anybody use DX10? This should decrease the use of VAS also.---> SteveSceneryFixer

Or are we talking about DX9 here only