Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

FSX VAS Testing - Memory Leak Fix Found

If you use FSDT airports you don't ever need to disable those, seems like I read a post from Virtuali that the way their airports work if you overfly it it's not going to load everything into your memory anyways... 

My advice is to leave everything alone!

Yes, you don't run sceneryconfig editor, or enable just airports you want to fly too. So how is your advice beneficial to this discussion ?

If you use FSDT airports you don't ever need to disable those, seems like I read a post from Virtuali that the way their airports work if you overfly it it's not going to load everything into your memory anyways... 

Spot on.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I think everybody's input is helpful here.  I don't know that anyone's really found an optimal solution yet...but I'm hopeful.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes, you don't run sceneryconfig editor, or enable just airports you want to fly too. So how is your advice beneficial to this discussion ?

Because you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. FSX runs great on Windows 3.1 and the VAS management is superb.

Edit: Post #14:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459932-anyway-to-force-fsx-to-give-up-some-vas/#entry3156152

You take that post by Gregg to be conclusive Jim ? Not many installed. I would not test disabling addon airports or photo scenery if the current install is minimal.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Because you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. FSX runs great on Windows 3.1 and the VAS management is superb.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459932-anyway-to-force-fsx-to-give-up-some-vas/#entry3156152

Lol i don't have OOM, and don't need all those so called tweaks lol but then again I know what I'm doing ;-)

André

You take that post by Gregg to be conclusive Jim ?

No, just Gregg's, mine, and thousands of other FSX users.

I would not test disabling addon airports or photo scenery if the current install is minimal.

So how many If.....thens would you need?

Lol i don't have OOM, and don't need all those so called tweaks lol but then again I know what I'm doing ;-)

Proof is in the puddin', lol!

Paul,

It's not my advice! It's what I TRIED to translate for Gregg that mess of advice from the OP.

My advice is to leave everything alone!

We know it doesn't change load times from that other thread about 2 weeks ago. And if users want to mess around with multiple setups with scenery activated or not, then that is totally up to them.

Its not a mess of advice, if you read the whole post its quite clear.  Simply put, changing the activation status of sceneries in flight creates a memory leak.

For example, lets say you take off and realize that you forgot to enable your destination addon airport, so you enable it in flight.  It will create a memory leak that will crash fsx if the flight is long enough.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

However, less activated sceneries will lower your vas usage and the memory leak will take longer to crash the sim.

What does this mean?

I also found a fix for OOM, It's called starting up P3D...sorry couldn't resist.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

However, less activated sceneries will lower your vas usage and the memory leak will take longer to crash the sim.

What does this mean?

With less active scenery addons the initial virtual address space available to fsx will be high, so once the sim begins "leaking" and available vas starts to drop it will take longer for the sim to run out of memory.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

The issue of activating/deactivating scenery while in flight and it's affect on VAS is not, IMO, a memory leak.

What I have seen while testing addon airport scenery is that often the AI will reload when you make a change in the Scenery Library without removing the original AI load.

This results in double the AI in the sim. Do this a couple times during a sim session and I will see multiple planes occupying the same parking spots.

I have never checked to see if this doubling of the AI happens at airports other than the one I was testing, I suspect it does.

If making a change to the Scenery Library causes FSX to load twice the AI it is not hard to see why the VAS takes a big hit.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif