Sign in to follow this  
RexGrant

Just built a new PC for FSX but think I have made a Mistake

Hi

After many years without FSX I thought I was ready to come back?? things change very fast these days and I did not give the make of my GPU much thought .I had read that ATI was not recomended for FSX win7 64 Bit So this silly old fella bought :excl: AMD :blush:  and I think I am paying the Price Should I sell it and get a nVidia and loose 250pounds or is there now a way ATI will work with FSX.The real problem is on landing be it over a UK airport or on a lake in the centre of Australia the grafics go haywire and I loose all sight outside the cockpit just big flashes of coloured blocks and streaks.

I have just read as far as graphic cards here

THE FSX COMPUTER SYSTEM: THE BIBLE - BY: NickN 

Please Help me decide. Should I sell my  AMD GPU and buy a new nVida one Or is it posible to get the ATI one to work with FSX. My full spec is in my Profile But at my age now I dont think I have time left to try to sort it out myself, Before the GrimReaper becomes my Co Pilot.

Regards

Rex

FSX should work just as well with either AMD or NVIDIA. The only difference I've heard of is performance in heavy clouds and fog. I have an i5 4670 and an AMD R9 270 and FSX runs great so I don't see why a R9 290 would do any worse.

If you have the box version of FSX, it is important to have FSX Acceleration installed which provide you with the most up to date service packs.  If this is a boxed version you might also need to make the config changes which are well known to bring the program up to date with your system such as HIGHMEMFIX=1 / etc...  With the acceleration added your scenery addons as well as aircraft addons will work much better.