Sign in to follow this  
nachezdc9

Carenado citation first review?

in FSX so I went for it. I have not yet tried it for P3D yet.

Should work ok in P3D as most aircraft meant for FSX can be heard in P3D

I may try that out

BTW did you use the TSS for Airbus 319 CFM for FSX, in P3D or FSX, with  aerosoft's 319 CFM ?

BTW did you use the TSS for aerosoft's 319 CFM for FSX in P3D or FSX?

No I haven't. I'm currently in a flight in FSX but if you want to give me an hour or so I can see if that sound pack can be heard in P3D v2.4. I don't see why it wouldn't work either.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

TSS
AVAILABLE SINCE: 06/05/2008

I just installed the TSS sound pack into my P3D v2.4 and it does work. Everything works. I found my problem in FSX why I did not have any panel or warning sounds. That is because I placed the TSS sounds into the FSX\sound\carenado\CarSoundC550 folder. That folder contains all of the panel and warning sounds. Leave that one alone. Just place the TSS sounds into the SimObjects Citations sound folder.

The ONE problem I have found with this sound pack is there seems to be a problem with the shutdown sounds. When I use my throttle quad and go to my throttle cut detent, the engines shut down but the start up sounds are played over and over and over as long as my detent is in throttle cut. This may actually be a bug with the Citation. I will have to do some more trial and error. I will see if it does it with the default sounds. Other than that I still recommend getting these TSS sounds, much much better.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Probably because it's a very old sound pack, for a different simulator.

Carenado bind all of their button press sounds to the "signs" sound commands in FSX/P3D, which did not exist inb FS2004, hence why you've lost all your switch sounds.

I've put this plane in the hangar due to poor performance/stutters/uneven frames, but actually I thought the sounds were ok.

I certainly wouldn't substitute them for a 2008 sound pack for FS9, that causes you to lose your switch sounds, but each to their own.

I certainly wouldn't substitute them for a 2008 sound pack for FS9, that causes you to lose your switch sounds, but each to their own.

No it does not cause you to lose your panel and warning sounds as my post above yours shows. It was an install error on my part.

Now as for the shut down and start up sounds it seems to be an error with the Citation itself and not anything to do with the TSS sounds because it will do it with the default sound pack as well. If I enter the aircraft systems and engines running, I can do a flight and on the ramp, cut the fuel and the shut down sounds play, all is normal. I can restart the engines and the start up sounds play and fly away I go. At my next destination I can cut the fuel and the engines shut down but the start up sounds play instead of the shut down sounds. The start up sounds will endlessly repeat. Bug with the aircraft, not the sound packs.

So it seems something is wrong and only allowing you one shut down sounds per flight. Kinda stinks at the moment if you fly multiple legs.

peppy, I don't want to contraddict you but how do you explain, then, the great success of PMDG, A2A and Majestic planes?

I am not so sure that most of simmers are basic untrained hobbyst.

Furthermore Carenado people were aware of the "basic" level of the 550 and they shouldn't have priced it at a similar level of the Dash 8Q or the BAe 4100.

Two days ago I purchased the Milviz Kingair 350 and even if still in a Beta stage is far better than the Citation and the price is very close.

Really, no harm done.  Been married 40 years and still getting use to feedback.  LOL

Like most of you I have doing this a couple of years....  well since 95.   BTW, I own at least one airplane from each of these vendors and host my own forum boards for my VA.  Apples and Oranges cannot be compared.  My current "go to" light AC is A2A 182, my Med AC is the Areosoft Twotter, and my heavy is the PMDG 747 or Level D 767.  I have recorded 130+ hours in the A2A 182 since buying it.  My flight time hours for FSX far exceeds 4k..

My RW time in business jets are restricted to the US ARMY where I have only done 3rd seat monitoring.  My flight experience began with my WWII flying father in 1956 when he allowed me to land and takeoff in the family J3 at eight.  I am sure he assisted that landing.  LOL

So why did I buy the Citation II by Carenado?  One, I believe they have the right talent to provide a beautiful, functional AC at the level of to demand the asking price.  I also missed my Eaglesoft business jets really bad.  BTW, I only own RX Reality gauges when I fill like it and always have PlanG running on a third monitor.

With only ground time, manual reading, and one test flight from Orbx's KBZN to FL20, return to the pattern and land, that is it so far.  This was all on the stick.  I have no other 3rd party software enhancing or distracting from the performance and operation of this AC.

I can say it flew via pedals, yoke, trim wheel and quadrant just beautifully.  I was concerned about the 4096 graphics on my 3d generation i5 turbo 3.8 chip using two monitors.  It flew flawless and no impact on FPS.  For this type of instrumentation, do I need 3d party?  I really do not think so.  The Citation II has been and will be a pilot's "flying" jet.  You never have to worry about auto breaking or takeoff settings.  Some flaps, some speed breaks, some knowledge of angle of attack is about all. 

That one flight was great and looking forward to seeing how she does in a full weathered in approach to a busy airport.  That is about 20 hours down the road. 

As for needing 3d party gauges, sounds, flight aids it is my opinion it would not be a requirement for having fun in the Citation II.

vafs_status.php?cs=EGE001&w=0&c=0

Oh, wrt the FMS, I read from a RW Citation 550 pilot that they never had FMS' in the earlier models like this, so I'll probably just leave it off as did you. Even when they did get them, they were not all that functional, so while for the $$$ they are charging for this version you should have a working FMS, I'm not going to be all that upset at not having it. Hopefully it will get fixed, but I don't think Carenado will be the ones to do it if it is.

Thanks for this Mark. Appreciate that!

That is mostly correct.  Early jets of any kind had no FMS or even GPS.  Old school VOR Vicotr airways and Jet Routes.

One might want to go over to ISG.  His FMS equipment is WELL worth the $$.  Looks like this will be the good model to put those into.  IF you do that however, do yourself a favor and get FS Panel Studios to go with it.

Respectfully,

Jet

One might want to go over to ISG.  His FMS equipment is WELL worth the $$.  Looks like this will be the good model to put those into.  If you do that however, do yourself a favor and get FS Panel Studios to go with it.

Or just read this fantastic thread, and the superb "pre-made" ISG fit that Janek has made, along withe some fantastic other Citation II mods :-

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/460037-s550-with-isg-fms/

:smile:

The ONE problem I have found with this sound pack is there seems to be a problem with the shutdown sounds. When I use my throttle quad and go to my throttle cut detent, the engines shut down but the start up sounds are played over and over and over as long as my detent is in throttle cut. This may actually be a bug with the Citation. I will have to do some more trial and error. I will see if it does it with the default sounds. Other than that I still recommend getting these TSS sounds, much much better.

hello all, i solved the problem with the engine shutdown sounds in the Carenado Citation II: very simple, it seems that the starter stays running after the engines start up, so when you cut the fuel, the startup sequence is running... so all you have to do is press that big sqare button in the middle of the starter switches that says "starter disengage" before you shut down the engines, or after you start them up

cheers

hello all, i solved the problem with the engine shutdown sounds....

Thanks for figuring that out!

The starters are supposed to auto-disconnect as soon as the combustion flag is set on. Since they are not, then there's some script missing to handle this.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh, wrt the FMS, I read from a RW Citation 550 pilot that they never had FMS' in the earlier models like this, so I'll probably just leave it off as did you. Even when they did get them, they were not all that functional, so while for the $$$ they are charging for this version you should have a working FMS, I'm not going to be all that upset at not having it. Hopefully it will get fixed, but I don't think Carenado will be the ones to do it if it is.

Thanks for this Mark. Appreciate that!

As a RW broker, who has dealt with a fair number of these 30+ year old 500/550 series Citations, very few have an FMS. Those that do, were retrofits from decades ago, and are often INOP simply because the technology of the time is obsolete and can't be upgraded. Installing a modern FMS in these airplanes would cost more than the airplane is worth. You will find that most operators have gone with Garmin navigators, previously the 430/530 series and now the 650/750. The Garmins do most of what a FMS does, at a greatly reduced cost. 

Full fledge APU unit.

No 500/550 series Citation has ever been produced with an APU. Nor, to my knowledge, has one ever been retrofitted.

Thanks for this Ray (again). One concern though - in the last pic of the panel (just above the chart), it looks like your fan speed is well within limits but you're actually above the redlines for the ITT's. That is the part that's concerning me as at those levels IRL you'd have a pair of molten engine pods where the engines used to be. Sounds like you have power to spare on this, but if you were heavy trying to get out of there and had to push the power up near max, you'd be in trouble. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again Ray!

N1 fan speed is the limiting factor on the JT15D engine. If ITT exceeds redline, there's something internally wrong with the engine. With a properly functioning engine, if N1 is kept within limits according to OAT and altitude, so will ITT. I think you're confusing this with certain turboprops, where torque is the limiting factor until ITT increases with altitude and OAT, at which point ITT becomes the limiting factor.

No 500/550 series Citation has ever been produced with an APU. Nor, to my knowledge, has one ever been retrofitted.

EXTERNAL APU, see all the screenshots on the ramp.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .