OK, so what I am getting here is that:

1) adding external power supply to Saitek yoke (supposedly feeding its internal usb hub) might be not necessary and even detrimental, after all

2) Saitek internal USB hub is of bad quality, anyway.

here is the question: did anybody try an alternative way to efficiently hook yoke, pedals, trim wheel and switch board (all from Saitek) WITHOUT using the internal hub in the yoke? Maybe with a third-party external usb hub (properly powered)?

I am saying all this, because I OFTEN get my trim wheel disconnected before/during flight. Sometimes this happens even with the quadrant (especially after fresh startup).

Any comments on this?

Thanks

That is EXACTLY the path to take Kermit. It works a treat.  There are several threads running here about the Saitek yoke.  Try to get what you need from them and leave the rest behind,  How nuts that Saitek (and many companies like them) get away with producing and selling equipment, with exactly the same major faults, for well over a decade. I can only only asume its because we're such a small market, our voice isn't really important. That's my theory anyway;-)

OK, so what I am getting here is that:

1) adding external power supply to Saitek yoke (supposedly feeding its internal usb hub) might be not necessary and even detrimental, after all

2) Saitek internal USB hub is of bad quality, anyway.

here is the question: did anybody try an alternative way to efficiently hook yoke, pedals, trim wheel and switch board (all from Saitek) WITHOUT using the internal hub in the yoke? Maybe with a third-party external usb hub (properly powered)?

I am saying all this, because I OFTEN get my trim wheel disconnected before/during flight. Sometimes this happens even with the quadrant (especially after fresh startup).

Any comments on this?

Thanks

I have mine setup like this and works fine - one would have to make sure they ordered the correct power supply as it does not come with it - as for trim wheel do not use it as it can be pain so I dont bother 

Rich Sennett

I have mine setup like this and works fine - one would have to make sure they ordered the correct power supply as it does not come with it - as for trim wheel do not use it as it can be pain so I dont bother 

What do you mean "like this"? With internal Saitek hub or with third-party external?

What do you mean "like this"? With internal Saitek hub or with third-party external?

Saitek yoke has usb inputs I use one of them for my saitek throttle

Rich Sennett

That is EXACTLY the path to take Kermit. It works a treat.  There are several threads running here about the Saitek yoke.  Try to get what you need from them and leave the rest behind,  How nuts that Saitek (and many companies like them) get away with producing and selling equipment, with exactly the same major faults, for well over a decade. I can only only asume its because we're such a small market, our voice isn't really important. That's my theory anyway;-)

Hey Dougal, do you have your yoke attached to the external (powered) usb hub as well, or just everything else? I am asking because the quadrant is attached to the yoke system through PS2, so I wonder if that could work if the yoke itself is "sharing" signal through a hub.... 

How do you have set it up, please?

Hello Kermit,

On my Saitek Yoke Hub I installed the default Throttle and the extra Throttle Quadrant.

By means of a separate extern powered Hub I connected to the PC :Saitek : Switch panel, Saitek Radio Panel 1+2 , Saitek Trimwheel and the CP-Flight MCP and EFIS as well.

The green LEDS On Throttle Quadrants and the Trim wheel start burning as soon your PC decovers them (The PC will then give power to them). On the yoke is the timer, when it is lighted the connection with the PC is there. All you have to do is to set-up the devices and evt. calibrate them.

For Radios and Switch Panel Saitek delivers an excellent Test program. I use CH-Pedals.

Everything works flawless now for several years. Specs PC : Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 8 Gb RAM,  NVidia  Geforce GTX650, Windows 7.

So you see : it isn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Ben

Hello Kermit,

On my Saitek Yoke Hub I installed the default Throttle and the extra Throttle Quadrant.

By means of a separate extern powered Hub I connected to the PC :Saitek : Switch panel, Saitek Radio Panel 1+2 , Saitek Trimwheel and the CP-Flight MCP and EFIS as well.

The green LEDS On Throttle Quadrants and the Trim wheel start burning as soon your PC decovers them (The PC will then give power to them). On the yoke is the timer, when it is lighted the connection with the PC is there. All you have to do is to set-up the devices and evt. calibrate them.

For Radios and Switch Panel Saitek delivers an excellent Test program. I use CH-Pedals.

Everything works flawless now for several years. Specs PC : Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 8 Gb RAM,  NVidia  Geforce GTX650, Windows 7.

So you see : it isn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Ben

Thank you for your detailed reply, Ben.

Unfortunately I still can't find the explicit answer to my question: is the USB cable coming from the yoke attached directly to your PC or to an external hub? In essence, are you using ONE USB port in your PC (for a single usb hub serving everything), or TWO (one for Yoke and one for external hub).

From your wording "by means of a separate external powered hub..." I guess it is the second scenario.

Could you confirm?

Many thanks!

Thank you for your detailed reply, Ben.

Unfortunately I still can't find the explicit answer to my question: is the USB cable coming from the yoke attached directly to your PC or to an external hub? In essence, are you using ONE USB port in your PC (for a single usb hub serving everything), or TWO (one for Yoke and one for external hub).

From your wording "by means of a separate external powered hub..." I guess it is the second scenario.

Could you confirm?

Many thanks!

The USB cable coming from the yoke attached directly to your PC is the only correct way to use it - going to a hub then to pc is a no no - its works sometimes and for how long know one knows - just attach the yoke straight into the pc

Rich Sennett

Hello Kermit,

I will try it once again; sorry for misunderstanding.

Richard is perfectly right : The USB cable from the yoke goes directly in the PC. The powered HUB goes directly into the PC. The CH-Pedals are going directly into the PC.

For connections into yoke HUB and into powered HUB see please my earlier topic.

And once again : it works perfect for me for quite some years; so why not for you ?

If any further questions, don't hesitate asking me.

Cheers,

Ben 

Ok thank you all, Iam defenitely going to try an external hub and see how it does for me.

Hopefully that would reduce disconnections. We'll see.

Thanks!

Saitek yoke has usb inputs I use one of them for my saitek throttle

Inputs? Richard, are they not instead "outputs"?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

They are inputs you can hook up your rudder pedals to it as I do - the throttles have a different connection so thats all that fits into that portion of yoke - I only have pedals hooked into usb ports in the yoke - I have switch panels not in use but they can work in the remaining empty usb ports

This will explain it better

28aup0i.jpg

Rich Sennett

FWIW, I found that using the Saitek Yoke power supply (accessory) hooked to the yoke with the pedals, Trim Wheel, and the accompanying Throttle Quadrant and a second USB TQ works perfectly when the Yoke is plugged int a USB2.0 port on your computer.  USB3.0 ports are problematic as is plugging other devices into the yoke.

I run 23 Saitek devices with the others being plugged into 3 powered USB2.0 hubs in turn plugged into the cpu.  Do not try to chain USB hubs.

USB1: Yoke (Yoke, Pedals, TQ1, TQ2 & Trim Wheel)

USB2: Radio1, Radio2, TPM, Switch Panel, Mulit Panel & Annunciator.

USB3: 6 FIP's

USB4: 6 FIP's

No problems here and I have used this setup for years.  I did have problems until I started using this setup and stopped trying to use USB3.0 ports.

One last thing, I use an ASUS ROG Matrix 7 Formula MB and have to turn xHCI off in the BIOS to use all of my devices.  You loose USB3.0 connect-ability by doing this but it's a tradeoff I prefer.

Rick S.

Thanks Rich, one last thing I forgot to mention.

Kermit; the yoke is a hub so plugging it into another hub is asking for trouble.

Rick S.