Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Recommended DX10 Scenery Fixer settings

Just bought PrecipitFX and looking forward to try it out when I get home today!

One question, I'm running FSX in DX10 mode using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer and reading through the documentation that came with PrecipitFX it says the product is fully DX10 compatible with Steve's Scenery Fixer but are there any recommended settings in the DX10 SF I should be aware of when it comes to effects?

Looking at the effects option in DX10 SF for instance it has a setting called 'Exclude Particle Effects' which is by default checked. I guess it might be a good idea to uncheck this option with PrecipitFX installed to get all effects showing up correctly...?

Richard Åsberg

I have it checked but I was only interested in the new rain and snow as I never leave the VC. Try it both ways and see what happens

Just be sure to load the DX10 Fixer after installing PrecipitFX so it can process any new effects files added.

OK, will try it out and see what happens and if there's any noticeable difference having the option checked/unchecked.

Reason for my question is the DX10 SF documentation says:

Exclude Particle Effects - selecting this restricts the effects converted to be light style effects and excludes effects such as spray which have a large number of “particles”. This improves performance and should be left selected unless you have an issue with an effect that flashes or does not appear.

To me this means for effects added by an addon such as PrecipitFX these effects will not be converted by the fixer with this option checked since they are not light style effects.

Richard Åsberg

OK, will try it out and see what happens and if there's any noticeable difference having the option checked/unchecked.

Reason for my question is the DX10 SF documentation says:

Exclude Particle Effects - selecting this restricts the effects converted to be light style effects and excludes effects such as spray which have a large number of “particles”. This improves performance and should be left selected unless you have an issue with an effect that flashes or does not appear.

To me this means for effects added by an addon such as PrecipitFX these effects will not be converted by the fixer with this option checked since they are not light style effects.

Web, with the Exclude Particle Effects checked as  'on/default' I had contrail flickering and outright disappearance. When I un-checked this, and converted again, PrecipitFX's contrails ran fine and strong.  I think you need to have this un-checked with the PrecipitFX product. for DX10. 

Yep, that confirms what I was thinking and reading the DX10SF doc it's really quite obvious. I also have the option unchecked at this time and will keep it that way.

Haven't had that much time/suitable weather yet though to really get to experience PrecipitX in action.

Richard Åsberg

Haven't had that much time/suitable weather yet though to really get to experience PrecipitX in action.

-----------------------------------------------

Where the package really shows its stuff...is P3D v2.4    The effects are better than 'stock' with FSX.x in view...but like I said...it's wham-bam in P3D.x

Web, I don't know if you have seen this in P3D...but if not yet...give er a go. It's a smile-maker....

I do have P3D but it's waiting for its time to come.

Gotcha...but with all due respect, Web....you are not seeing fully what PrecipitFX can dish out, even as it sits within P3D.x   with one feature disabled as per the install mask.

You'll enjoy the effects, when you do fire it up again....

Ses