Sign in to follow this  
G MIDY

Vsync- What is correct?

Hi all,

I currently am attemping to smoothen up my sim and I have run into problems again with VSYNC. Essentially my understanding is that setting your ingame FPS lock to 30 and using half refresh with adaptive vsync apparently gives great smoothness. I have tried this and well FSX runs exactly the same as FSX without VSYNC but I am instead limiting my FPS to 30 which is stuttery and choppy on a 60HZ monitor.

What is the trick here? Am I missing a setting somewhere because I do not see any point in even having VSYNC on let alone further causing stutters by setting it to limit your FPS by half. I don't see any real tangible benefit to VSYNC except where you can maintain 60FPS which is near on impossible in FSX, anything else results in tearing or stutters. I remember once everyone used this half refresh but does this only apply to people who have 30HZ monitors where 30FPS will appear smooth anyway? I certainly cannot get any level of smoothness with any settings unless VSYNC is on and 60 FPS is being achieved, it seems to me in any other case better to leave it off entirely.

Any input would be great.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

In your FSX cfg make sure to add this ForceFullScreenVSync=1 under [GRAPHICS] and make sure your monitor is set to 60hz, cap your fps inside fsx to 30, also set nvi  vsync to 1/2 refresh rate, your other tweaks are correct, you need to run in full screen also. and enable windows aero after fsx starts.

Rick

tpewpb-6.png

If you do not use TrackIR then you may be happy running without Vsync.

With TrackIR Vsync is essential