Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Having Frame Rate issues with the Citation II ?

In my first impressions post on another thread, I stated that Frame Rates were looking really good and not an issue.   Well that was certainly the case early on, but once again, this became another aircraft (just like the iFly 747) where FPS start off excellent and then, when in clouds and weather, things get stuttery with very uneven FPS  (eg... jumping from 9 FPS to 40 FPS).

I done some digging, and the cause may be a gauge called "cmeteoxml.dll".

(You'll see that the Citation II installation adds in to your dll.xml file).

I removed this from the FSX.CFG and then removed it from the dll.xml file.

I then launched a flight and I think the MFD's basic WX display was not working (through removing the above gauge, but frame rates were really high, stable and solid for the whole flight   (Halifax, NS to Moncton, NB).

So, if you are getting unstable frame rates and a lack of smoothness, try opening your FSX.CFG and press search in Notepad (Ctrl+F), and put in "cmeteo".   Now delete the line that contains this reference.

Then open your dll.xml file and carefully remove the <addon> entry for the cmeteoxml.dll from there too.

Maybe it's placebo, maybe not, but worth a try.

Maybe it's placebo, maybe not, but worth a try.

I expect this is more than just placebo, Craig.  I have this disabled on the Seneca as well and it absolutely helps with performance.  The wx radar doesn't really add meaningful value much beyond eye candy, so it's worth a try at disabling if you're having performance issues on any of the recent Carenados that use this dll.

Scott

I expect this is more than just placebo, Craig.  I have this disabled on the Seneca as well and it absolutely helps with performance.  The wx radar doesn't really add meaningful value much beyond eye candy, so it's worth a try at disabling if you're having performance issues on any of the recent Carenados that use this dll.

Scott

Ah that's good to hear, thanks Scott.  I didn't know it was in the Seneca V too (I gave up on that plane due to poor performance - will have to have another look!!).

I think it's a DLL that relates to weather scanning.

I've just flown another flight with this DLL removed and I am 99.9% sure it's making a massive positive difference to frame rates and smoothness in the Citation.

You could set your dll.xml cmeteoxml  to disable true and it wont load it. Believe i've done that forever with Carenado.

An update on performance matters with this aircraft, on my system;-

Despite disabling the cmeteoxml.dll gauge and seeing something of an improvement, I've found that this aircraft can still suffer seemingly random spells of low and uneven frames, on my system.   

I've done some testing and messing around, and have found that disabling the MFD absolutely releases the beast in terms of frame rates.    

• With the cmeteoxmll.dll enabled, and unlimited frames, I am averaging around 25 FPS, but with dips down as low as 9 FPS.
  • With the cmeteoxml.dll disabled, I am averaging around 32 FPS, with less, but still prominent dips down to 13 FPS.
  • With the MFD gauge removed from the VC, and from the [Window00] popup, I am seeing 42 FPS with (so far, from a couple of hours testing) no dips in frame rates.

With the MFD disabled, you can still put the map/route on the EHSI, albeit it it's a lot smaller.

I'm not suggesting people would want to do this, just sharing the experience.    It would be good if others experimented with temporarily removing the MFD, to see what results they get.

If we can isolate the cause of some uneven FPS in the aircraft, perhaps Carenado can look at the issue, and perhaps improve things, for SP1.

MFD disabled, with map and GPS route displayed instead on EHSI

1110.jpg

Well reluctantly, this beautiful looking Citation II is going into the hanger, at my end this evening.

Something really odd is happening with it regarding frame rates, and all the above attempts to find the issue have failed.

I have just took off from the default KROC (Rochester, NY) airport, with very low settings in FSX;  eg, autogen on sparse, very minimal weather, no AI, etc. 

Turned on the batteries and had 40 FPS .... nice....

Started the engines, and turned on the avionics, dropped down to 19 FPS .... erm....

Took off (still at 19 FPS for no apparant reason), and by 6,000' and climbing I had 10 FPS.

Just gave up at this point.

I noticed Ryan had similar performance issues with this aircraft.  I don't see many others talking about heavy performance with it, so we'll have to see.

For me, as much as I love it (and if it didn't have this performance issue I would love it), it's just unusable with these frame rate 'dropouts'.

Oh well, proved to be a much shorter distraction from the RealAir T-Duke than expected!

This may be a dumb question, but where do I find the dll.xml file? I tried a search of my whole drive without success, but I did find the cmeteo.xml file. Assuming I can find it, how do I open it and edit the dll.xml file?

Thanks for any help.

Dale

Dale

Dale, I think it depends on what SIM you are using. I am using P3D and the file is located in user/appdata/roaming/Lockheed Martin. Not sure where it lives for FSX.

By the way, disabling/removing the gauge referenced didn't give me any positive frame increase, although it did seem to stabilize them.

I resized the some of the 4096 textures down to 2048. I think this may have helped a bit too. Thank you for the

cmeteo tip. It has helped.

Dave.

I resized the some of the 4096 textures down to 2048.

Thank you !

I just resized all the 4096 textures down to 2048 too and that has finally made the most stable difference.     I realized that my frames were dropping whenever I was in clouds, or looking up out of the aircraft at cloud filled skies.     I therefore assumed this was related to the WX radar effort in this aircract.

But it wasn't - it came down to plain old HD texture slow-downs! ..... I have a naff graphics card (HD 7850 2GB), and I use REX4 textures.     The Citation II is a very high def VC and the combination of clouds and the VC textures was causing my low frames.

I've just flown 2 regional flights, in upper NY state, through thick clouds and rain, and NO frame rate loss.

Back in the game :smile:    Thanks for the pointer Dave!

Thank you !

I just resized all the 4096 textures down to 2048 too and that has finally made the most stable difference.     I realized that my frames were dropping whenever I was in clouds, or looking up out of the aircraft at cloud filled skies.     I therefore assumed this was related to the WX radar effort in this aircract.

But it wasn't - it came down to plain old HD texture slow-downs! ..... I have a naff graphics card (HD 7850 2GB), and I use REX4 textures.     The Citation II is a very high def VC and the combination of clouds and the VC textures was causing my low frames.

I've just flown 2 regional flights, in upper NY state, through thick clouds and rain, and NO frame rate loss.

Back in the game :smile:    Thanks for the pointer Dave!

Hello Dave,

Maybe if enough of us suggest that Carenado also provide a set of 'Lite' textures it will be simple enough to hold the FPS up in weather. I thought it was a great idea when they added the selection of Lite and HD textures with the Carendo C210 but, they didn't followup with the later models.

4096 is a little on the heavy side for a light jet.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I resized the some of the 4096 textures down to 2048.

How'd you do that?...with Gimp or Photoshop?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I am a P3dv2 user and i surprisingly have not had FPS issues on such a serious level as you folks, I did however replace the MFD with the F1 GTN 750 along with a pop up 2d panel for inputting necessary information into it. that did give me more smoothness in the VC when the avionics are turned on.

How'd you do that?...with Gimp or Photoshop?

I'll bite as well. How do I lower the texture resolution?