Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Question about G2XPL

Is there a way to Set G2XPL to adjust the size of the area it downloads?  I know how to adjust the LOD level, but I dont know how to adjust the area it downloads, or if that can even be done.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

If you go into the G2XPL General settings, one of the options is "Adjacent 1x1 degree area margin (m)". If I'm interpreting it correctly, it determines whether or not to include adjacent tiles based on the distance from the aircraft at the time G2XPL generation is started. I'm not 100% sure if I've got the actual meaning of the setting right, however increasing it does add more tiles. The largest group I've been able to generate is 16 tiles. I use the max setting of 80000.

Hope that helps!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Thanks Tony. A few more questions if you don't mind.

I'm using the Simheaven photoscenery of the Midwest and using WED to accurately place everything on top of my home airport MKE. I cross check everything with GoogleEarth as that photoscenery is more detailed. Would using G2XPL enable me to get a more clear photoscenery of MKE to use, even if its just the airport and a little of the surrounding land?

Or would the difference be not worth the bother and time?

Thank you,

Tom

G2XPL can be told to generate around a certain radius at high quality and then the rest at lower quality. But, it's not a draped texture over existing scenery (But in fact, includes mesh, normally it just uses X-Plane's or whatever you have in your global scenery). So I don't think using 2 G2XPL areas in the same 1x1 tile would actually work, since one would simply completely block out the other. I don't think X-Plane will allow 2 meshes to be used in the same 1x1 tile. So, using G2XPL you can generate a 1x1 degree tile and set it to very high detail at your airport, and then say 5km out, reduce the quality to something like zl15.

Your best bet if you only want a small area is to use a draped photoscenery creator such as gmaps http://members.ferrara.linux.it/cavicchi/GMaps/. You can define the area you want in Google Earth (save a KML file), and then use gmaps to generate the scenery at whatever zoomlevel you like. The difference is that it will be draped on top of your existing scenery but won't block out the entire tile. Also, make sure you use the -ssl option when generating, as it no longer works without it.

Hope this helps