I have a computer totally dedicated to FSX.  Windows 7 and FSX (along with all the add ons) are on the 120 GB SSD.  It is almost full.  I bought a 1 TB SSD and having the 120 GB cloned (using Acronis software) to the new 1 TB.  I am paying some computer guru to install the new SSD and do the cloning.

Prior to this everything was / is perfect using the 120 SSD - but I was running out of space to add more airports.

Do you think everything will just work as perfectly as before?  I will keep the 120 GB SSD installed and just boot to the 1 TB SSD and use it.  It has a 540 Mb/sec read rate compared to the 1st gen SSD of 100 Mb/sec.  I doubt the faster speed will translate to better performance, but I just want everything to work without re-configuring all me peripherals, liveries etc.

Any insight?

Paul Gugliotta

Just cloning and swapping a hard drive is a simple and straightforward process. I hope you're not paying much to do it.

Unlike replacing a motherboard, you don't have to reconfigure anything or load any drivers: Windows will find the new hard drive once you boot into it the first time and that's it. I've cloned and replace many a hard drive and it's one of the most boring (boring is good) processes out there...

Just buy true image and do it yourself.  2 minute job to install the ssd, and about 5 mouse clicks to clone it

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

That comes out to $40 a click.  I paid $200 to install the SSD and clone the HD.  He had the computer for 4 days now.  He supplied the Acronis software. 

I know I over paid, but FSX means so much to me and I am not too computer savvy to do it on my own.

I really I wish I knew a big FSX user/ pilot with exceptional computer skills in Long Island.

Paul Gugloitta

Paul Gugliotta

Ouch.  I'll fly over the pond next time ;)

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I just got my computer back.  My 120 Gb SSD had  Win 7 plus FSX on it and was 105 Gb filled - almost maxed out.  I had a 1 TB SSD installed and the 120 Gb contents were cloned over to the new drive.

Everything seems to work perfectly.  Now I can add more scenery and the new 787 (when it comes out).

Paul Gugliotta

I just got my computer back.  My 120 Gb SSD had  Win 7 plus FSX on it and was 105 Gb filled - almost maxed out.  I had a 1 TB SSD installed and the 120 Gb contents were cloned over to the new drive.

Everything seems to work perfectly.  Now I can add more scenery and the new 787 (when it comes out).

You should NOT be running a SSD anywhere near that full, especially an OS drive.

UKV6427

Any insight?

In 2013 I switched my internal laptop system drive from a 500GB HD to a 500GB SSD and two weeks ago to a 1TB SSD  (C drive with everything installed on it).

I regulary make system back ups on an external USB drive via WIN7 "Backup and Restore" (just in case).

I also have a WIN7 system repair Disk (start/boot DVD) "ready". With this disk WIN7 can write the USB-drive backup back to the old disk (e.g. in case of an installation going astray). Or write back to a new disk of same size (e.g. if old disk corrupt/fails).

Or write back to a (new) disk of larger size. The only thing to remember here in the end is to set the C partition to full capacity (Extend Volume..) via Control Panel/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

Otherwise the larger disk (C partition) will only have the size of the former (smaller) disk...