Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16JAN15] Update 2 - FSX:SE - Compatibility Update

As an AMD user, there is no way in hell I am loading up again FSX.  I get the weirdest graphical glitches and its unplayable. Even with the DX10 fixer. So I am waiting for PMDG to release an P3D version of their SKU. I'll be the first one in line to purchase.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just my opinion here so don't blow darts:  I've got FSX set up and running with scenery and weather like I want it, FSXSE offers nothing additional for me... I don't play online and I don't think even the Steam edition is going to allow PMDG online play. So, I wonder what's the buzz about FSXSE?? It's exactly the same as FSX as far as I can tell, same bad wx engine and ASN won't work with it, same horrible head movement effects, same 32b application so VAS management still applies... I give up.. why FSXSE over FSX (besides cost.. and you don't even own it, you must download it and redownload if you unistall)?

This is somewhat short sighted. You have boxed FSX as you like it, that's great for you. What about those who don't ? I don't have FSX boxed version. I don't want FSX boxed version, this is 2015, I'm done with boxes, especially with my job making me moving around a lot.

You say FSXSE doesn't offer anything more, and you are right (it does offer better FPS out of the box), but it also does not offer anything less except ASN for now. It's a great way to get new people into the hobby and instead of bashing it, you should be welcome it.

If you don't want to buy it, that's fine.

Steam Edition opened the game to quite a few new people, and I know of at least 4 that are waiting for the new installers to buy the PMDG, sure it's not much, but why should a company pass up on it ?

Olivier GIRARD.

It's exactly the same as FSX as far as I can tell

There is a lot of information on the avsim and steam forums regarding the major differences so I wonder how did you come to this conclusion ? is just a gut feeling or do you have a link you can add where I can read about it?

ZORAN

People worrying their FSX Gold Edition will vaporise come the day that Microsoft fall out of the sky (I refer you to the post above mine).  Never, basically.

The post above yours (mine) expresses the concern that FSX Gold will vaporize come the day that Microsoft fall out of the sky?

ooooooka.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yeap, I've no Boxed Version and I want to start playing a flight simulator!! What's the problem??? 

"P3D is better!!!!" - It might be!!! Dude I don't care about it, I prefer FSX!

"XP10 is better cause it is 64-bit" - Then what?? I've tried XP10 and I still prefer FSX

I just don't want to buy the boxed version since the Digital Version is much better to use, FOR ME!!

Man It's just my opinion! STOP thinking only about YOURSELVES!!

Thank You PMDG for the hard work!! I'm the first in line to buy it as soon as it has been released!!!!1

Good grief, you'd think I call somebody's parent a dirty name... lol

I said I can't imagine why FSXSE would be preferred of FSX, I did not say FSXSE was any less of a product than FSX only that it is not more.  A good point was made regarding reinstallations and Microsoft, if they go out of business getting the key reset might be a problem.

Otherwise, it's a preference for download vs boxed versions.

Zoran, please enlighten me as to the improvements in FSXSE. I've used it for a couple hours and see absolutely no difference between it and FSX out of the box.

Dan Downs KCRP

PMDG Team:

Will the patch require and "uninstall/reinstall" to make things work?  I have FSX:SE (and the CD version, no haters pls) and I've been reluctant to do the uninstall unless the patch will require it.

Thanks PMDG for taking the time to try to make this work.  For me, the Steam version does offer some small performance gains on my other aircraft and that made it worth the $5 for me.

Good grief, you'd think I call somebody's parent a dirty name... lol

I said I can't imagine why FSXSE would be preferred of FSX, I did not say FSXSE was any less of a product than FSX only that it is not more.  A good point was made regarding reinstallations and Microsoft, if they go out of business getting the key reset might be a problem.

Otherwise, it's a preference for download vs boxed versions.

Zoran, please enlighten me as to the improvements in FSXSE. I've used it for a couple hours and see absolutely no difference between it and FSX out of the box.

Why are you getting excited, it was just a simple question lol. This is not the thread for a debate about FSX vs FSX-SE however since you asked I will post this , seriously you only need to do a tiny bit of googling to find all you needed.

If you need more help just PM me

ZORAN

So, I wonder what's the buzz about FSXSE?? It's exactly the same as FSX as far as I can tell

You'd think two identical sets of software that share the same identical name would be completely different?

Aaaaaaand we're done arguing about the differences and pros/cons of the two.

Continue and you'll end up on the wrong side of a sick, and jet lagged me :)

Kyle Rodgers

seriously you only need to do a tiny bit of googling to find all you needed.

Okay, I googled (sorry, I'm not going to watch a 40 min video). Found a good informative article from SimFlight (here: http://www.simflight.com/2014/12/24/fsx-steam-edition-updates-fixes-comment/ ) and in fact there are some improvements to anti aliasing and water effects and users of Win8 will have fewer problems. Otherwise, same product in a different package.

Let me reword the question:  I have FSX in a Win7 installation, should I be interested in moving to FSXSE?

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay, I googled (sorry, I'm not going to watch a 40 min video). Found a good informative article from SimFlight (here: http://www.simflight.com/2014/12/24/fsx-steam-edition-updates-fixes-comment/ ) and in fact there are some improvements to anti aliasing and water effects and users of Win8 will have fewer problems. Otherwise, same product in a different package.

Let me reword the question:  I have FSX in a Win7 installation, should I be interested in moving to FSXSE?

Not really. I've had zero OOM issues, but then the annoying g3d.dll CTD errors have returned. There is a detectable performance increase in the Steam Edition due to some under the hood work, but probably not large enough to entice someone from switching over completely.

I would've stuck with the boxed but my boxed version crashed so much on my WIN8.1 that I literally went mad. Luckily the FSX:SE came in and it definitely crashes alot less..

Here's a good reason for me to switch to the steam edition. I can use the steam overlay and use its browser for charts/other things without switching my window or getting out of fullscreen mode. Kinda like a EFB.

Waiting in excited anticipation  B) 

Just one question; once the update is done, will I still be able to use the add-on liveries and FS2Crew (already own FS2Crew for the 737NGX) files or will these also need updates?