Sign in to follow this  
ianf

ILS Inspector/Editor v6.12

Has anyone had any experience using ILS Inspector/Editor v6.12?

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

The program is by the same author of the MagVar data and appears to be a very useful program. It is supposed to fix up all the outdated ILS and runway data in FSX. It also claims to have the ability to align ILS and runway data with an AIRAC cycle so the AIRAC and FSX data are in sync. I was trying to find some instructions or documentation on the program, however I can't seem to find much info.

If this can align data from an AIRAC cycle with FSX then I am assuming that it will also fix the incorrect runway numbers that occur in FSX due to the magnetic north shifting over the last few years. Previously when I have come across these errors I have looked for an updated AFCAD scenery file, or if I cant find use ADE to edit the Airport info.

I would like to give this a try however because it makes so many changes I am a bit worried that it may cause issues with FSX (even though there is a backup performed) and I may need to rebuild FSX which would take me days with all the addons etc.

Would appreciate comments from anyone that has used this (good or bad)?

Thanks

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I don't blame you for trying to gather more information.  The facility data (radios, navaids, etc.) in FSX is contained in bgl files and cannot be changed unless you either replace the bgl file or use an AFCAD file, which has a higher priority than the default bgl files.  My question would be what method does this application use, are changes backed up and can you restore and does it do all airports in navdata or only those you manually select.

Personally, I'd stick to using ADE to fix-up specific airports on as-needed basis.  Also, most of my major airports are add-on's that I paid for and would hesitate before letting a third party application that I know very little about make mods to them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Reads like you are peeking and poking the bgl files. Interesting.  I'd be interested in using the FAA NASR data to not only adjust runway and ILS data that navdata provides (which is pretty rudimentary) but also the FAA NASR data provides LOC, DME and GS location, precise runway end and offset threshold data a so forth. See https://nfdc.faa.gov/xwiki/bin/view/NFDC/WebHome and use the link for current 56d NASR Subscription.... it's free to the public now and no longer are required to create an account.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan/Herve,

Thanks for your comments and information

Herve,

It sounds like you are onto something good with this, especially if future editions can correct runway headings. I will try this out and have a play with some single files first. Thanks for making this (and all your other stuff including your corrective MagVar data which I use) available for us all to use.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I've used the FAA data to "nudge" runway and displaced thresholds (with ADE) at several dozen US locations and the change for the runway is seldom more than a couple of feet, thresholds do vary significantly. The FAA data has lat/lon info to four decimal points on the seconds value, kinda overkill since FSX is very coarse compared to surveyed data. Anyway, I found the most errors were in location of DME.. FSX usually puts DME at LOC antenna when in fact it is usually in a separate enclosure hundreds of feet away, and this could make a difference in DME readout on approach.  Also, FSX usually sets ILS distance to 27 miles when actual coverage distance may be significantly greater.

I just downloaded and ran the ILS Inspector and found most information OP sought was in revision history. It is a nice clean user interface, intuitive to use and is now a part of my utilities library.  Many thanks to Herve Sors for this gem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ian

Only runway identifiers can be safely changed but that's the point when magnetic variation gradually change so as it makes runway magnetic heading pass the 5° boundary and leads to a rwy id change (usually +1 or -1). But I presume it is what you meant. 

Herve,

Yes thank you, that is what I actually meant.

Regards

Ian Friend