Sign in to follow this  
alexzar14

STAT & Transition, J-41.

Good day.

Would J-41's FMS direct you on the runway course before landing or would it not?

I flew my first STAR with J-41 yesterday (previously just used the ILS freq.) into Dallas KDFW runway 35R, entered the proper Transition/STAR/Rnwy (did it with 737, perfect), however the approach path with J-41 did not direct me to Rnwy 35R, it directed me to the airport directly, actually towards runways 31. I went with ILS and landed on 35 anyway but I was surprised it didn't give me a proper path. I checked it 10 times wile still in flight, the runway entered was 35R, with proper STAR and transition selected.

The FMS in the JS41 is was not certified for approaches, like the B737.  Always use the ILS.  Regardless, the STARS at KDFW all require vectors to final and none that I recall provide a path to a IAF for approach.

Dan Downs KCRP

Got it. Yes, I switch my ND to VOR/ILS mode and refer to green needles for loc and glideslop, I just found it unusual that the STAR doesn't show a path to the runway. So that's the way it is.

Another question is why do we have to turn off the avionics before engine start?

I just found it unusual that the STAR doesn't show a path to the runway. So that's the way it is.

Another question is why do we have to turn off the avionics before engine start?

1.  You should get a copy of the STAR and approach. There are many sources including flightaware.com, airnav.com, FAA etc. There are often instructions on the terminal charts that do not show up in the FMS.

2.  An engine start is electric, and there is a possibility of a voltage spike that could damage avionics. Even in a small Cessna, the electronics are turned off for start.  Most jets use air for start so different considerations apply.

Dan Downs KCRP