Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

Saitek Instrument Panel as a 737 MFD?

I have seen that the little Saitek Instrument Panels have had routines written for them that allow them to be used for more functions than the default settings allowed. I have not seen one that lets them mimic the MFD in a 737-like aircraft. Does anyone know if such a mod exists?

Bill

- Bill Magann

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Should I take the silence to mean that no one is aware of anyone doing this? I can't find any evidence of it myself.

- Bill Magann

Thank you for the link. There are certainly a lot of cool gauges there, although he doesn't appear to have done any airliner type panels. But as you said, if it's possible I bet he is the guy to try.

- Bill Magann

PM your em and I will send you some Jet gauges I picked up over the past several years for FIP's.

Rick S

I have seen that the little Saitek Instrument Panels have had routines written for them that allow them to be used for more functions than the default settings allowed. I have not seen one that lets them mimic the MFD in a 737-like aircraft. Does anyone know if such a mod exists?

Bill

Hi Bill, looks like we are on the same Saitek/Jet quest! See my post http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458863-options-to-extend-fully-loaded-ga-setup-for-commercial-jets-737/

I am trying to assess how much of the Saitek gear can do double duty on say PMDG-737. How are you getting on with the rest of your Saitek kit on the jets?

Hey Dino,

Yes, we are on a similar quest! Despite the kind help of several AVSIM members I have so far not been able to find a mod for the FIP that turns it into a MFD. There are several for a PFD and an EICAS, but nothing with the onscreen mapping and flight plan function provided with an MFD. If you find something let me know! I will certainly post here if I find something that works.

I am also making my own cockpit board, although out of wood rather than metal. I am beginning to think that perhaps the best way to do the MFD, PFD, and EICAS might be via a separate monitor mounted or inset on the cockpit board. Just drag and resize them. I gave up on getting the Saitek autopilot to work seamlessly with the PMDG 737, so I bought the GoFlight MCP-Pro as a Christmas present this year when it was on sale for under $400. I find that the Saitek radios (x2), switch panel, throttles (x2), yoke and pedals are all good enough for me! I'm sure that if you spend the extra $$$ there are much better ones out there, but these all meet my needs.

But maybe ask around about the switch panel. I really only use it for the gear lever in the PMDG.

- Bill Magann

I am beginning to think that perhaps the best way to do the MFD, PFD, and EICAS might be via a separate monitor mounted or inset on the cockpit board. Just drag and resize them

Me too. I am actually wondering whether long term, I should build a separate CS-1 Stallion enclosure (or similar) and set that up for jets.....would that just be too greedy?! :D

I found this on the appstore for C182T (G1000 PFD/MFD) http://www.simionic.net

Interesting re your challenges with the Saitek panel - were you using FSUIPC (unpaid/paid), SPAD, Linda?

My Main Instrument Panel is in storage right now, so I cannot experiment for a while. So I treated myself to a Saitek X55 (picking up from Post Office today) HOTAS to tide me over (I will probably get the TM Warthog stick at a later date - it's too heavy while I am 'on the road').

I found this on the appstore for C182T (G1000 PFD/MFD) http://www.simionic.net

I saw that. All you would need is several iPhones or iPads on your dash (har har).

I have FSUIPC paid, but for the most part I just use the Saitek drivers (horrible I know). I have never played around with SPAD or Linda. I guess it's time to. But the GoFlight MCP Pro is super cool. It looks just like the real thing.

- Bill Magann

Eliminating the Saitek drivers and using SPAD is a "must do" for the non FIP Saitek panels. 

You will still need the SiaFlightSimX.exe reference in your exe.xml for the FIP's to work.

Rick S.

Eliminating the Saitek drivers and using SPAD is a "must do" for the non FIP Saitek panels. 

Yeah, everybody tells me that, but I'm stubborn. Or lazy. Probably the later of the two.

- Bill Magann

Hey Dino,

Yes, we are on a similar quest! Despite the kind help of several AVSIM members I have so far not been able to find a mod for the FIP that turns it into a MFD. There are several for a PFD and an EICAS, but nothing with the onscreen mapping and flight plan function provided with an MFD. If you find something let me know! I will certainly post here if I find something that works.

I am also making my own cockpit board, although out of wood rather than metal. I am beginning to think that perhaps the best way to do the MFD, PFD, and EICAS might be via a separate monitor mounted or inset on the cockpit board. Just drag and resize them. I gave up on getting the Saitek autopilot to work seamlessly with the PMDG 737, so I bought the GoFlight MCP-Pro as a Christmas present this year when it was on sale for under $400. I find that the Saitek radios (x2), switch panel, throttles (x2), yoke and pedals are all good enough for me! I'm sure that if you spend the extra $$$ there are much better ones out there, but these all meet my needs.

But maybe ask around about the switch panel. I really only use it for the gear lever in the PMDG.

Guys,

I have three excellent and free MFD type gauges specifically for twin jets. I'm not at my PC now but I showed them off, I think, in an Avsim review a couple of years ago. I am using all 3 in different Saitek FIPs now while flying the new Carenado S550 Citation II.

Search for a combo software/hardware review with Saitek - External - Cockpit in the title by Ray Marshall. You will find a source or link to download the FIP gauges in that review. They are truly excellent pieces of work.

I found the review. Phillipe Verhaege is the name you need to search along with FIP MFD gauges. You can find the review here. http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/mad-catzsaitek-flight-simulator-cockpit-r690

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .