Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Anyone using Skymaxx Pro Sky Colors or other offerings?

Just bought it and have tried a few different ones but was not overly excited.

If you have tried any sky colors even if not the Skymaxx Pro offerings,

what is  your favorite and why?

Regards

Bob

Did you try in combination with Real Terra Haze with FlyLua ? I think both together with Skymaxx Pro 2. works pretty well.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I have Skymaxx pro v2 and also use (just) the sky textures from Aerosoft's Sky Tools (which are free).  It took me a little while to get it working but the Skymaxx interface lets you change themes without a moving files and a sim restart.  I quite like it, but I struggle with having a choice of themes to use!

Did you try in combination with Real Terra Haze with FlyLua ? I think both together with Skymaxx Pro 2. works pretty well.

I was told that if using RTH then the Skymaxx cloud shadows will no longer work. Is this true do you know for sure?

Bob

I have Skymaxx pro v2 and also use (just) the sky textures from Aerosoft's Sky Tools (which are free).  It took me a little while to get it working but the Skymaxx interface lets you change themes without a moving files and a sim restart.  I quite like it, but I struggle with having a choice of themes to use!

In the Skymax UI it states you must restart XP in order for the sky color selection to take effect. Are you sure you do not have to restart. Maybe I have an old version? Just bought it yesterday though.

Bob

I was told that if using RTH then the Skymaxx cloud shadows will no longer work. Is this true do you know for sure?

Bob

In the Skymax UI it states you must restart XP in order for the sky color selection to take effect. Are you sure you do not have to restart. Maybe I have an old version? Just bought it yesterday though.

Bob

The RTH cloud shadow are disable but not the Skymaxx Pro shadow.

Yes you must restart X-plane for sky color rendition changes.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Theoretically to change the sky colours using Sky Max Pro yes you should restart XPX, however there is a turn around whithout restarting which i use, it saves time :)

Go to special ->show sky colours->Reload all cloud colors after selecting the sky color in sky Max Pro :) Enjoy! i like Hazy Days High Contrast you can check them all easily now.

If you wish to change manually the sky colours, go  to the following folder X-Plane 10\Resources\plugins\SilverLining\skyColors or any other folder to pick up a sky color and copy all the files of the sky colour you choose then paste it in X-Plane 10\Resources\bitmaps\skycolors and after this you can click on the reload all cloud colors.

RTH works with SMP but i think only the shadows used are the one of SMP.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Thanks all!  

I appreciate your time and input. Nice to not have to restart and I may try the RTH. It sure looks like a  lot of tweaking, but I used to use FSX LOL.

Bob

RTH is a really great add-on - not only for haze but light settings too which you can see change on the fly.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I have read some reviews. I was curious though as to what the XP developers will be doing with the visibility/haze code if any. 

If it is not difficult to install I may give it a try, but if it is going to be redundant in XP then I can wait.

Bob

I strongly recommend you don't wait, it really makes a huge change to the visuals and there's no current talk from LR about standard art settings for the many options they have embedded in the engine.

It does take some tweaking to find individually pleasing settings (and those often change depending on season / seasonal textures, weather, time of day etc.) but it really is 'a game changer':)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I strongly recommend you don't wait, it really makes a huge change to the visuals and there's no current talk from LR about standard art settings for the many options they have embedded in the engine.

It does take some tweaking to find individually pleasing settings (and those often change depending on season / seasonal textures, weather, time of day etc.) but it really is 'a game changer':)

SE, 

Where might the best instructions for getting this installed and is there a good preset  that might work. After FSX my little tweaker is just limp.

Bob

Sorry, at work at the moment so can't give any active support but get an account at the .org if you don't have one and follow the instructions on this link:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

You'll need the flywithlua plugin mention on the above page and also the RTH download from that link. Simple Readme's are included with the plugins and they're simple to install (just drop in the correct folder in your main XP folder).

You should be up and running in about 20 mins...

Edit: it also comes with 4 presets which you can play around with to get the balance you want.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Thank you Scotchegg! 

Appreciate your input and help?

Bob

Appreciate your input and help?

Bob

Like the question mark; makes it seem like you're not sure yourself if you appreciate the input and help:)

Let us know how you get on.

I'm using the Hazy Day Medium Contrast preset, but I actually like the default X-Plane sky colors too, especially with RTH. In RTH I'm using these settings:

DSwPk.jpg

Here are some examples of what it looks like

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457332-bremerton-to-ranger-creek-in-a-bonanza-x-plane/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457448-just-picked-up-the-carenado-saratoga-for-x-plane/

Sky colors, clouds, haze etc. is really a matter of personal opinion. Some what a milky white sky, others want a deep blue, or something in between. Same with clouds - white puffy clouds, grey dirty ones etc.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP