Sign in to follow this  
boeingaviation

Hardware advice please

190?

Isn't it more like 80 bucks?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In New Zealand it retails for $190. Also I just did a google search for high temps for my CPU with H60 cooler & have just looked and realise 4 years ago when the PC tech installed the cooler he has done so upside down so the tubes are coming out the top of the radiator and the pump is mounted upside down on the CPU what an idiot. Would this effect temps not being installed correctly.

Is it worth spending $190 on the h80i just to cool my PC

No.  :mad:

Prime 95 is a severe stress test and FSX/P3D will run at much lower temperatures.

Poor installation of your H60 shouldn't really effect its operation, that why it has a pump.  If you do intend to alter it however I agree with the recommendation above to replace the thermal paste at the same time.

I want to get my CPU to 4.4ghz as reading on many forums I shouldn't have any problems even with my H60 as I have seen reviews and the H60 should he keeping my temps below 60degrees.

I'm off to pc tech tomorrow to get the the thermal paste re applied and cooler mounted correctly and will let you know the results.

Also I'm thinking about upgrading my cooler to an h80i unless my h60 can perform.

FWIW I couldn't get my it 2500K above 4.4 Ghz...  sometimes you just have a junky CPU for OCing.  Mine is probably the worst of them all... the OC is dying and I've had to keep bumping down currently at 4GHz, and even that gets a crash once in a while.  I also have a H60

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Update: thermal paste reapplied and cooler mounted correctly and had a few degrees drop in temperature. I have overclocked to 4.2ghz and max temp is 73degrees.

73 is still safe to run at as fsx doesn't make my PC run at 100% cpu.

Hi there,

Am looking at getting P3D 2.4.

Currently Specs are:

Core i7-2600K at 3.8ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston Ram, EVGA GTX 570 Super Clock 1.2gb card.

I ran v2.4 and found that my cpu was only sitting about 35% usage with all sliders maxed, however GFX couldn’t cope and only had 20mb of free ram left available so I understand my GFX is the bottleneck.

I am wondering, I’m torn between two options for the best upgrade. I have been looking at both the AMD R9 290x and the EVGA 970 FTW, both have 4gb ram but there are so many mixed opinions around which card performs better.

I want to be able to run P3D on reasonably high settings and get minimum of 30fps smoothly.

Can this helpful community advise me on what my best course of action would be?

I did read that someone else was running the very 1st core i7 870 and they were able to achieve very good results with orbx scenery getting a minimum of 30fps with max settings so I’m just wondering what I can expect to get and whether it’s worth upgrading the GPU now.

Many Thanks.

Chris

i went from an i5 2500k @ 4,3 and a gtx 780 OC to an 4790k @ 4,6 (turbo) this week. It made a huge difference, in both fps and smoothness. If you're on a budget I would suggest first replacing your vid card to something with at least 3 gb. If money left get the 4790k which I think atm is the best cpu you can get without having to sell your house.

I have orbx global, vector, rex for everything but the cloud textures, ASN. Also went with Rob A's 4k settings, on 1920/1080 and locked the fps at 30, where it pretty much stays even in overcast cond.

hth

-Roland

Never run anything AMD with FSX. It's well known that AMD hasn't developed their hardware to work perfect with FSX. Nvidia is the way to go if you wanna use FSX

CPU is @ 1.30v. Have been doing some research and from what I've read the Corsair H60 doesn't have good performance to cool an Overclocked i7-2600K as at 3.8ghz the max temp reached was 72 with radiator fans at maximum speed.

Did some research and I'm thinking about getting a corsair H80i as this is recommended over the antec 950.

Is it worth spending $190 on the h80i just to cool my PC to overclock as primary reason is to run PREPAR3D flight simulator.

Look at my specs, I can tell you that it was worth it :)

Hi All.

After not being happy with results of my H60 so I bought the H80i and wow the performance difference is amazing. Now have my i7-2600k overclocked at 4.5ghz and max temp after running prime95 for 7 hours was 67degrees which before hand I couldn't go above 4ghz at max temp of 75degrees with aida64 stress test I couldn't even run orime95 stress test with my h60.

Well Worth the money.

Good to hear thanks for the update. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+