Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I LOVE Dovetail, and Steam, and ... FSX!

It's Fatal, I always knew it...

whenever something new happens to MSFS, no matter where I am, how far from civil flightsimming, or busy flying for real ( something that hasn't happened lately thanks to Mrs Merkel ... poor lady, blamed for everything... ), I always eventually return, being unable to resist the call....

This turn around it was, of course, DTG's and Steam's fault :-)

I bought FSX SE for €4,99 - absolutely ridiculous!!! I bought, in my simmer life ( the conscious part of it... ) FSX about 4 times, 2 in the form of boxed versions that I sent to trash ( literally ) in one of my madness accesses, 1 through GFWL, and now the Steam Edition.

Each time I return to MSFS, and FSX in particular, there are a series of sensations that build up on my - complex - mind:

1) The beauty and simplicity of the sim when it comes to World rendering, even using the default install, when compared for instance to default X-Plane 10;

2) The Weather rendering, including effects of flying at cruise level without that awful aura limitation imposed by the 64 bit of X-Plane 10 ( 32 bit does a lot better in FSX in this area... )

3) The complexity of some extraordinary add-ons, like the RealAir's, the A2A's the PMDGs my only FSX Carenado ( the B1900D where for the first time in the history of using FSX I find a turboprop model with free-running turbine that strives to, and pretty much achieves a correct implementation of such details as the FF not varying with Prop RPM at fixed Condition and Throttle and Alt.... ), Majestic's superb Q-400, ASN for the weather, Steve's FSX for doing wonders for the performance and beauty of the way every thing is  rendered, ORBX for the only add-on I own from them, but does wonders for FSX SE - ORBX FTX Global!

4) Being again able to fly allover the World ( something I am limited to do in my Combat flightsim - DCS World ) or really can't say I appreciate in the same way in X-Plane 10 where I still lack proper Seasonal effects, and a plausible model of daylight and even Moon phases and ephemeris ...

But now, and while I wait for PMDG's 744, I am also able to use, with better results than when using XP10 for the same purpose, Aerowinx PSX 744 ( the best 747-400 simulator ever available for a PC simulation, and actually even competing with the LevelD 744 sims due to some details that even those multi-million $ sims do not model!!! ), this made possible through a great app named VisualPSX that allows FSX SE to be used as a visual scenery generator for PSX

So, I am back to this extraordinary flightsim - I can't name it any other way!  There's Majic in FSX, and when we look at the numbers even at the recent Steam / DTG franchise just now starting, we see that indeed many continue to find in FSX still the most adequate all purpose civil flightsim platform available in the market!

I look fwd for whatever DTG is capable in the future, including picking MS FLIGHT where it was left by MS, and merging that project with a new DTG flightsim, with the best from both platforms!

Well, I've got to go now... I can't recall how to start up the Q-400 :-( and it's a lot different from what I used yesterday in my 109 K4...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Wow! My nomination for the post of the year. This says it all so well....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I've done a transcon yesterday and the small, performance-increasing fixes that DTG implemented made it really pleasant.

Now if FSXSE can just hold up in terms of stability, I just might fly and develop more often.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Just got FSX_SE today, and first impressions are quite good. P3Dv2 looks better, there's no denying that. But it's marginal. FSX_SE like it's MS ancestor has a rather ridiculous level of autogen popping. Again P3Dv2 is better, and by a mile on that one.

But FSX_SE is butter-smooth  B)  I haven't seen butter since last summer and it's such a joy to experience smooth flying again. Banking, panning, external, internal, takeoff or approach, rain or snow. Whatever you throw at it... butter.

Now every time I bank and look down on the silky smooth (ORBX) scenery down below I get that Jeremy Clarkson grin and just cant wipe it off my face  :lol:

Yes, stability and smoothness is probably the best way to describe this reincarnation of FSX :-)

I have installed FSUIPC, Steve's Fixer latest version ( 1.6 I believe ), ORBX FTX Global, my RealAir's, my only Carenado so far ( the B1900D), the MAJESTIC majestic Q400 ( I was really missing this one...) am waiting for the PMDGs and ASN and this week I'll ask A2A to reactivate my installers :)

So, back to FSX for sure Ah! and still not an hint of problems when using PSX with FSX-SE, contrarily to FSX where I was getting a CTD here & there.

So happy that I am even considering the first DLC ( around the World in 80 days... ) and probably the next... and...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I'm also enjoying FSX-SE alot now with my new 970 card.

I was able to skip SGSSAA and use DSR 4x with 20% smoothing instead and oh my... it's amazing.

Really looking forward to more updates and improvements from Dovetail.

Another thing I noticed was all the niggling little bugs I had in some of my add ons have disappeared as well, eg VOXATC sound looping and finally I get to hear the Morse on ILS approaches. In general add ons integrate better on my system

And of course NO CTD! not one and Ive flown the pants off this thing, no CTD no OOMS even at ORBX YBBN and FSDT CYVR  :-)

ZORAN

Yesterday I installed the Majestic Q-400, now fully compatible with FSX-SE as of the latest patch. I had a remarkable flight in bad weather around LPPT. Used the freeware FSXWX as a weather injector since ASN isn't yet available for SE.

I had a great experience, followed by a flight from LPPR to LPPT in the B1900d - Whow!!!

I don't know if they did anything for the cloud rendering, but it looks different, better, to me ?  

Main Simulation Rig:

At first I thought you were being elaborately sarcastic. So few people here are ever just plain happy about anything! I am glad to see that your sentiments are genuine. I am still mostly using FSX original because of ASN, but when I use SE I too have been happy with its performance.

- Bill Magann

At first I thought you were being elaborately sarcastic. So few people here are ever just plain happy about anything! I am glad to see that your sentiments are genuine. I am still mostly using FSX original because of ASN, but when I use SE I too have been happy with its performance.

Oh, no sarcasm at all !  Quite on the contrary !  FSX-SE is the only version of FSX presently installed on my rig. It shares the sims folder with AEROWINX PSX, DCS World and Il2-BOS :-)

I'm also waiting for ASN to become available for it, as well as for the NGX and 777 ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

l still have a dual install with FSX-SE installed on separate HD.  To date very impressed with FSX-SE and my three year old computer. For the first time I have been able to run everything with most sliders full right using Aerosoft Airbus 318/321. However, I am somewhat concerned since I still have not installed any of my Orbx scenery, FTX global etc.  I hope this will not bring my frames and smoothness back down to my FSX level. From what I have read Orbx still has not provided  installers for SE, which includes Global.  Would be curious if any have a dual install and were able to install their regions and cities to SE with a dual install. 

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

MS FSX no SE is smooth and frame rates are high. However with FSX SE I suspect that when you are install Orbx, UTX, REX etc etc it will eventually become slower since Dovetail has not rewritten the original source code.

I suspect that some amount of the improvement we see is from the new install and the lack of installation and de-installation of addons. Even so, this is obviously the way forward.

It is up to the addon makers to get up to speed and make their products compatible if they want to stay in business. I have been amused by the fact that people are mad at Dovetail because the addons aren't instantly working. Dovetail provides the platform, and it is the addon makers that must adapt to that standard.

- Bill Magann

FTX Global presented absolutely no problem in stability, smoothness of frames to me :-)  That's the only 3rd party scenery I have though. Look forward for Aerosoft to update their Madeira installer though ...

I was also afraid of starting installations of any addons because, above all, I want an as smooth as possible visual platform for PSX, but it was so good that I couldn't resist bringing bag all of my old FSX add-ons ( not many ) and... I ended up infected :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

and it is the addon makers that must adapt to that standard.

Thats only true if the product explicitly state it will support FSX SE. When you bought a flightsim addon, it does not include future updates for "new sims" unless otherwise stated.

That said, developers who refuses to tap into the new market ain't very clever.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png