Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Any AntiVirus recommendations?

Hi there,

do you've any antivirus recommendation? I have been using Avast Free AntiVir, but I don't know if this one does his job as best as possible. I am looking for a good antivir, that cause no issues with FSX. I know, product like FSDT need an deactivation of antivir, but free AVG is difficult to handle, in my personal opinion.

Are there any good (free) alternatives?

Try Microsoft Security Essentials, free, fast and better than the heavy and slow applications like Norton.

ESET NOD 32. I've used it for several years with no problems what so ever. It's not free, but very well worth the price in my opinion. Small footprint, uses very little resources.

Try Microsoft Security Essentials, free, fast and better than the heavy and slow applications like Norton.

Agreed. Plus you can set what percentage of CPU usage you want scans to run at -which will lighten the load on your resources. Windows-h8 already has a cut-down version of Security Essentials installed, curiously renamed to Windows Defender, but you cant run schedule scans with it unless you do some research on how to install the full version of S.E.

Its also good to run the free and amazing Malwarebytes once a week or so to root out hidden malware.  As a PC tech I'm always amazed at how many trojans etc I find on PCs running Norton and AVG etc yet I'll run Malwarebytes and it finds them no problem. (Tip: In order to avoid the time limit, un-tick the box that says 'Run 30-day trail'  during installation).

I personally never ran anti-virus while flying MSFS and would unhook from the internet as well unless playing online.

Agreed. Plus you can set what percentage of CPU usage you want scans to run at -which will lighten the load on your resources. Windows-h8 already has a cut-down version of Security Essentials installed, curiously renamed to Windows Defender, but you cant run schedule scans with it unless you do some research on how to install the full version of S.E.

I personally never ran anti-virus while flying MSFS and would unhook from the internet as well unless playing online.

MSE is no longer the best antivirus out there. Check out this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

I suggest the OP to get COMODO or AVG. Avast is terrible now.

MSE is no longer the best antivirus out there.

As a PC tech with 18 years experience -with clients including Asda/Wallmart, I really would suggest Security Essentials for anyone wanting to reduce drag on their PCs resources.

Bells and whistles programmes such as AVG can really weigh a computer down and yet still let trojans in ..plus these top-heavy programmes get new interfaces and CPU- draining additions added each year in order to attract new customers, while Security Essentials remains light-weight, effective and free.

So in my experience: a combination of Security.Essentials and Malwrebytes works a treat, and I've personally never seen a virus on my PC using this combination..and  seldom seen any on my clients machines.

Just saying.

Been happy with Webroot Secureanywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers as the real-time antivirus protection (very lightweight and uninstrusive while gaming) and also use free Malewarebytes as an occassional secondary scanner.

Security Essentials from Microsoft. It's free, fast, easy to use and doesn't constantly popup like most other antiviruses. To be honest, since Vista, anti viruses have become pretty much useless. They don't prevent infections at all, only tell you once you've been infected. The best antivirus is you. Don't click links in email, make sure to check the url of the site you are on before entering personal info, always separate your computer from the modem with a router, use your computer as a standard user. Just be smart. 

I have MSE and let me just say, its the first anti virus I've ever had that doesn't constantly slow my computer down and tell me that I need to update to the pro version very time I start my computer. I would definitely recommend MSE because it is lightweight and the definition updates come through windows update, which is really convenient.

use your computer as a standard user

Is that not very time-consuming/complex? Do you've to enter always your admin password when you want to install something? I've read a lot, many users get problems with software, because it hasn't run as admin.

I fully agree to your post and have considered to set an admin + normal user account, but for some a reason I've an mind, that you're very restricted. Is there a lot difference when you're not Admin. I remember very good when I was in school, we hadn't admin rights and were literally not able to any chances. I know, this is the sense of it but I don't want to enter 10x a password to change settings.

MSE is just about dead last in effectiveness, I would not trust it.  I use ESET and it is very good.  PC magazine rates Webroot very well, I may consider it on another PC to see just how good it is, the main program is apparently less than 1 meg is size!

I use Malwarebytes after using the free version found viruses not picked up by other programs then upgraded to premium for just $25 per year which gives a license for up to 3 PC's and active protection. I rarely notice it's running unless a blocked notification shows up. 

So in my experience: a combination of Security.Essentials and Malwrebytes works a treat, and I've personally never seen a virus on my PC using this combination..and seldom seen any on my clients machines.

This is the set up I use as well and never had any issues downloading addon's and its light on resources. No virus issues either. I also uninstalled Java and all its hiding places on my HD.

Best,

Brian