Sign in to follow this  
Paulbr

Activate ATC

Paul, full names in the PMDG forum please.

FSX has a basic poorly implemented ATC feature, regardless of aircraft selected. You should be in the FSX forum. Sorry.

Dan Downs KCRP

Paul, full names in the PMDG forum please.

FSX has a basic poorly implemented ATC feature, regardless of aircraft selected. You should be in the FSX forum. Sorry.

With respect Dan, I don't think that's his problem. Anyway FSX ATC may be poor but it does a job. I use it when flying offline (which is most of the time).

Hello,

Can anybody pls. tell me how to activate ATC in the PMDG 777?

Tnx.

Paul

Paul,

By default for realism purposes the PMDG 777 requires you to select a microphone to transmit on. In most FSX planes you can transmit regardless of how the comms system is configured. On the center pedestal, forward left, there is the comms tuner and comms selection panel below that. Make sure the MIC is on for COMMS 1. See below:

777comms1.jpg

However there is a user option which enables you to avoid doing this, controlled from the FMC CDU:

PMDG SETUP/OPTIONS/SIMULATION (7/7)

FSX COMMS DISABLED

The choice is either WHEN FAILED/MISCONFIG or NEVER

You can select this to NEVER and have ATC work all the time or configure the microphone realistically.

ki9cAAb.jpg

With respect Dan, I don't think that's his problem. Anyway FSX ATC may be poor but it does a job. I use it when flying offline (which is most of the time).

You're right, Kevin.  I assumed OP was having trouble with FSX and since I never use the default ATC I didn't remember the tip you provided.  I don't recall it being mentioned in the Intro but yeah, always need to point the MIC to a radio.  I tried RadarContact a couple of years ago and worked with it for a couple months but still couldn't get realistic ATC so I just use the controller in my head.  I'm lucky in that one of my wives was a controller in the USAF and when she was in school at Keesler studying the 7110.8 I was working on my instrument rating so I have a controller in my head... doesn't sound like my ex thank goodness.  More like the sweet voice I heard one day passing through Memphis center.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

Just to prevent any confusion, Paul, are you talking about the ATC in FSX or the ACARS system of the T7 (ATC on the Comm page of the lower EICAS)? Because if you talk about the latter, it is not modeled in the PMDG's model.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

You're right, Kevin. I assumed OP was having trouble with FSX and since I never use the default ATC I didn't remember the tip you provided. I don't recall it being mentioned in the Intro but yeah, always need to point the MIC to a radio. I tried RadarContact a couple of years ago and worked with it for a couple months but still couldn't get realistic ATC so I just use the controller in my head. I'm lucky in that one of my wives was a controller in the USAF and when she was in school at Keesler studying the 7110.8 I was working on my instrument rating so I have a controller in my head... doesn't sound like my ex thank goodness. More like the sweet voice I heard one day passing through Memphis center.

The simulation option is mentioned in the Intro Manual but not explicitly in relation to FSX ATC. It caught me out to begin with too which is why it stuck in my mind.

I only use FSX ATC in the terminal area. Once I'm airborne I ignore the first handoff and vector myself around until I'm in the descent. You can then contact ATC and resume the cleared flight plan. Even then I usually follow the STAR and ignore the strange headings FSX gives. It's quite entertaining keeping track of where it wants me to go. The worst it ever did was after a go around and it vectored me away from the airport and then never contacted me again.

ki9cAAb.jpg