Sign in to follow this  
Augustin320214

Can't handle Sparse grid supersampling

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for looking at this thread.

My system isn't the best and I would like to know how I have to configure the dx10 fixer/Nvidia Inspector/Fsx for multisampling/supersampling but not for sparse grid supersampling.

Specs:

I5-4200M

GTX760M

windows 8.1

And yes, it's a laptop but I'm only 14 and I have I'm running this hobby of my pocket money.

Thanks in advance

That article has lots of flaws and settings that are simply not correct.

Check out theis thread and read it carefully to the end and you'll have a great looking sim.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459884-optimum-nvidia-cp-settings-p3d-24/

I'll put together a quick guide that covers all dx versions asap.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

That thread is going on over prepar3d, I use fsx dx 10 with steves dx10 fixer.

My system just can't cope with SGSSAA. I just don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance

Hi there Augustin320214,

Check out this article below. This is for DX10 and NI Inspector and understanding the settings. Should clear a few things up for you. Hope it helps :-)

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=500

Best, Jeff

Hi

Thank you for replying

It definitely cleared up some misconceptions for me about AA.

But my system just is not strong enough for SGSSAA. Do you have any recommendations for Fsx Dx10?

Thanks in advance

You can try turning off the trasparancy antialiasing altogether and use DSR (dynamic super resolution) instead. It should work with your card if you have recent drivers.

You can for example make a 2x and a 4x resolution to try out.

Use 20% smoothing, that I find is a good value to start with.

You'll find the DSR setting in the global profile in nvidia control panel.

When you've enabled the new resolutions, select them in the display settings in FSX and use fullscreen mode.

Well, as SGSSAA and DSR basically needs almost exactly the same amount of performance, I doubt that a computer not able to run 2xSGSSAA is suddenly able to run 2xDSR (it is basically the same, just the calculation behind is different). There are reviews though showing that in some games, 4xDSR is up to 30% slower (regarding FPS) compared to 4xSGSSAA. I do not know how FSX is regarding the performance needed for DSR, but if it is anything similar to any other game, DSR would be actually worse than SGSSAA.

I would rather go for some less challenging AA modes like FXAA or something similar. If he uses the Fixer from Steve, simply try the lowest possible AA modes there and see, when you reach the cutoff between acceptable image quality and FPS numbers. No chance to achieve this without try and error, as every system is different (slightly).

In the end, if the laptop of the topic starter is not capable of running even 2xSGSSAA, it is how it is. There is NO possibility of getting the same imagequality without using SGSSAA, otherwise anybody would do it, no? There is nothing for free, not even FPS in a sim...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Yes Ankh, you are correct, however giving it a try is no harm.

I've been testing back and forth all day and have come to the same conclusion.

One thing I learned though, is to watch out for the "Texture filtering - Quality" option in NI.

I've been used from FS9 to always set this to "High Quality". In DX10 and DX11 however, this causes massive shimmering, so set this option to "Quality" only.

Hi,

Thanks for all your post!

I don't know what to do because 2x sgsaa is already hard for me. I didn't think my system is that bad. (GTX 760 M)

Kind regards

GTX 760M

Its a mobile GPU?

That will be the issue right there. 2x SGSS is hard on desktop GPU's let alone laptop versions.

Hi,

Thanks for all your post!

I don't know what to do because 2x sgsaa is already hard for me. I didn't think my system is that bad. (GTX 760 M)

Kind regards

Well, you must know that even my i7-3770K@4.5GHz coupled with a GTX-780 OC can be seriously hampered by to high settings (4xSGSSAA is the absolute limit). If you now think about the fact that my system has about 100% more power than your laptop, it easy to understand that 2xSGSSAA is to much for it. That is why I recommended the use of FXAA (you need to force it via nVidia inspector). This is really the only AA method not using that much of performance with the drawback that the image gets slightly fuzzy. Together with a DSR factor of 2 (2xDSR), your laptop should be able to handle this and gives you a good imagequality nonetheless. The shimmering issue you can address by playing around with the LOD bias setting and by forcing anisotropic filtering.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well, you must know that even my i7-3770K@4.5GHz coupled with a GTX-780 OC can be seriously hampered by to high settings (4xSGSSAA is the absolute limit). If you now think about the fact that my system has about 100% more power than your laptop, it easy to understand that 2xSGSSAA is to much for it. That is why I recommended the use of FXAA (you need to force it via nVidia inspector). This is really the only AA method not using that much of performance with the drawback that the image gets slightly fuzzy. Together with a DSR factor of 2 (2xDSR), your laptop should be able to handle this and gives you a good imagequality nonetheless. The shimmering issue you can address by playing around with the LOD bias setting and by forcing anisotropic filtering.

Hi, I don't know what the cause is but i discovered that I could run fsx with 4xSGSSAA but when I installed rex soft clouds I remember I had incosistent (5-30 fps). Before it was more stable with 18-30 fps. I reduced the sparse grid supersampling to 2 but it didn't work and then I posted here. Stupid me ;-S

If you have any suggestions, Any help is greatly appreciated

That article has lots of flaws and settings that are simply not correct.

No, it doesn't!

Hi there Augustin320214,

Check out this article below. This is for DX10 and NI Inspector and understanding the settings. Should clear a few things up for you. Hope it helps :-)

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=500

Best, Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

I'll put together a quick guide that covers all dx versions asap.

Can't wait to see it!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi,

Like some of you have been suggesting, I tried DSR, it didn't work, because I can't find it. And I have the latest drivers. Another thing that I noticed was that my fsx doesn't recognize my graphics card. I just shows some intel 4600 HD ######. I also remember in the early days of dx10 that I had to force fsx to use my graphics card. This was also the case with dx9.

Remember SGSSAA is only required for some aircraft models in DX10, so it's not always necessary to use it.

Follow my guide as Jeff suggests, and we can pick holes in neumanix's explanations later.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com