Sign in to follow this  
FlyingAxx

737NGX and ASN turbulence effects - recommendations needed

I use ASN and wonder if I should switch off the turbulence in FSX and simply adjust ASN to my preference. Or should I leave FSX enabled?

What turbulence in FSX are you referring to?  You lost me on that one.  If you're talking about the one in fsx.cfg, then I just leave it at default.

As for EZDOK, the camera reacts to the turbulence...it doesn't create it.

Interesting, it seems to be time to find out specific differences in the setup or environment.

I only use the default turbulence settings in ASN during normal use.  (I move it around when I'm testing it) 

With the default settings, I've never had the upsets you've had from wake turbulence...not in the same situations as you.  I have had upsets, but I have to be pretty close to the traffic.

ASN models wake turbulence to act as close as possible to real wake turbulence.  It will fan out behind the aircraft.  It will settle (drop in altitude) over time.  It will drift with ambient wind conditions.  It will slowly dissipate over time.  It will be more powerful with the size of aircraft and weather the wing is generating high lift or not (which affects the strength of the wake).

Using the ASN map with AI turned on, you can see the wake turbulence trail it leave behind.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Using the ASN map with AI turned on, you can see the wake turbulence trail it leave behind.

Devin, your last hint can be helpful for sure. I've lost sight of this function and I'm afraid I have to search for it...

Regards,
Axel

It's not only PMDG planes that are getting this wake turb bug...it is others as well...such as in my case when using my A2A planes. I fly both their C182 and Cherokee...and with any wake turb enabled within ASN the effects of that are downright silly looking...it is not a smooth roll but rather more simllar in appearannce to an immediate change of viewpoint to something like a 30-60 degree change in position of the wing. The wing drop happens in a split-second...and then a couple seconds later again...a split second change (no smooth roll) to 60-90 degrees to the opposite direction.

When I tested this effect using a default FSX plane, however, it worked fine...you had a smooth roll effect (albeit quick as it should be). There is something about the effect's coding in ASN that doesn't seem to work correctly with some 3rd party planes.

When I tested this effect using a default FSX plane, however, it worked fine...you had a smooth roll effect (albeit quick as it should be). There is something about the effect's coding in ASN that doesn't seem to work correctly with some 3rd party planes.

That's my experience, too. That's why I'm not sure on which side of the interface the best could be done.

Regards,
Axel

Thank you Netshadoe for your input.

I am referring to the weather settings in FSX where you can enable or disable turbulence affect on aircraft.

I agree that EZDOK reacts to and does not create turbulence but you can adjust the severity of the affect and this was where I wanted opinions. If you run FSX, EZDOK and ASN together, any tips on achieving best realism?

I think you can leave the turbulence setting in FSX out of the picture since ASN will override that setting AFAIK.

Richard Åsberg

It's not only PMDG planes that are getting this wake turb bug...it is others as well...such as in my case when using my A2A planes. I fly both their C182 and Cherokee...and with any wake turb enabled within ASN the effects of that are downright silly looking...it is not a smooth roll but rather more simllar in appearannce to an immediate change of viewpoint to something like a 30-60 degree change in position of the wing. The wing drop happens in a split-second...and then a couple seconds later again...a split second change (no smooth roll) to 60-90 degrees to the opposite direction.

I have noticed this same thing with ASN and A2A and RealAir.  I have to completely disable wake turbulence in ASN if I am flying on Pilotedge.  I can't even take off after a 172 without getting uncontrollable effects.  I agree that the effects are very poorly implemented but it may be due to the aircraft config files (.air?) not being able to properly handle the information that ASN is providing.

Ryan

Seems pretty realistic to me if you watch this video, doesn't seem like a smooth roll like people are talking about. Seems pretty sudden and violent.

Also this video seems pretty conclusive that it is a sudden occurrence. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwL_jw4v5c

Thank you Netshadoe for your input.

I am referring to the weather settings in FSX where you can enable or disable turbulence affect on aircraft.

I agree that EZDOK reacts to and does not create turbulence but you can adjust the severity of the affect and this was where I wanted opinions. If you run FSX, EZDOK and ASN together, any tips on achieving best realism?

I don't think shaking the view in turbulence is very realistic. I find it distracting because I don't feel any actual motion to go with it. It's realistic enough to see the aircraft respond to the turbulence. Shaking the whole VC also makes using sim controls unrealistically difficult. In reality your hand would be "grounded" on the panel and you could easily use any control in turbulence. Following a moving clickspot in the VC is frustrating, not realistic.

ki9cAAb.jpg

What I find works for me best is FSUIPC turn off all weather as HIFI suggests. Set ASN default turbulence settings, except set wake turbulence to 20%  click off Enhanced turbulence (This option causes the most severe turbulence reaction). Turn off turbulence in FSX. In EXDOK if you have it, use DHM only and set overall sensitivity to 25% in DHM settings.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I can only agree to the last statement of Tom as far as wake turbulences are concerned. I'd opened a Ticket at HiFiSim and got really good support. They produced and offered some Beta versions, got feedback and for me the problem is solved now. However, the recommendation to set the wake influence back to 20% is what I'm doing as well, even after running the updated version. The other weather settings are okay for me. The problem of always generated thunderstorms is solved, but they still appear where I would expect them. ASN is now a great and usable product.

Regards,
Axel