Sign in to follow this  
sjgold

New to airliners... what to get?

Picked back up FSX on Steam after a long time away from FS9

I am looking to get into airliners something I never played with before mostly sticking with GA

So there are a bunch of options available, I've heard I should start with an Airbus as its more forgiving to learn in.

I see there is something called project airbus is this better than any of the others out there or should i go with one, not to concerned about the price vs free here just looking for the best choice.

PMDG looks intimidating are there better solutions that can act as a trainer to PMDG on the dash 8 and 7x7 side of things?

Picked back up FSX on Steam after a long time away from FS9

I am looking to get into airliners something I never played with before mostly sticking with GA

So there are a bunch of options available, I've heard I should start with an Airbus as its more forgiving to learn in.

I see there is something called project airbus is this better than any of the others out there or should i go with one, not to concerned about the price vs free here just looking for the best choice.

PMDG looks intimidating are there better solutions that can act as a trainer to PMDG on the dash 8 and 7x7 side of things?

Aerosoft has the Airbus A318/319/320/321 setup, but they kill FPS for me.

PMDG has a steep learning curve but you can't get better than what they have to offer.

Majestic has a Dash 8 that is of similar caliber to the PMDG offerings.

Aerosoft has the Airbus A318/319/320/321 setup, but they kill FPS for me.

PMDG has a steep learning curve but you can't get better than what they have to offer.

Majestic has a Dash 8 that is of similar caliber to the PMDG offerings.

Hey thanks for that

Have you tried project airbus over the Aerosoft product? does it have frame rate issues?

Don't be intimidated. There's an enormous amount of tutorials available and AVSIM threads on almost any conceivable question. And sometimes the more realistic an add-on is the easier it is to learn because it's consistent with the real thing and actual documentation.

Hey thanks for that

Have you tried project airbus over the Aerosoft product? does it have frame rate issues?

The issue is that Project Airbus is fairly basic, and I've had difficulties with their products in FSX. Also, all of the products I mentioned feature a fully-functioning Flight Management Computer. I can't fly without one of those now.

I strongly recommend the PMDG NGX. Boeing jets are the most logical set up in flows, ergonomics and simplicity. The FMC pretty much prompts you through and is much simpler then any turbo prop or classic liner. It is used on short to long routes and will save you a lot of money searching for that perfect liner because this is it.

Vic green

I would suggest you the Airbus as a start actually. It's easier than the PMDG NGX, it's still a jet that can fly all around europe or on normal air routes at least.

Details wise is well done, the price is not high and it offers some interesting stuff like the copilot checklist (which would be easy for new players) and even FMC on tablet/phone eventually.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

My reaction to seeing people recommend complex planes like the NGX was to wonder if they were joking.   Like never having swam before, but then jumping into the deep end of the pool.   But I reconsider now, and also recommend the NGX because of the documentation.

well the way I see it bro, get a decent pool to begin with, then when you do learn to swim, you don't have buy another one. :rolleyes: 

Vic green

The more Systems Integration (FMC, clickable VC buttons, etc.) and eye candy you want, the more expensive and detailed it's going to get. They are NOT of the 'Load it, get it to the Runway, push the Throttles forward and go' variety... lots of Flight Manual pages to read and review before even Starting the # 1 Engine!

If you decide to go that route, reading the Flight Manuals thoroughly will save you from asking those Questions in the Forums that always get answered with the ubiquitous Reply, "RTFM"! 

(Read The F&%$ing Manual).

Good Hunting...

:smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

My frames are just fine with Aerosoft's airbus....less complex than the Ngx? Ehh...maybe if you're familiar with other airliners...but not for someone new to them. I'd say it doesn't matter what you get...There is going to be a learning curve to include lots of reading and also YouTube cold/dark videos. PMDG does make awesome stuff..The 737ngx is a masterpiece. If you want something easier on your way to the super complex, I'd recommend captain sim or feelthere which are a little lighter in systems and fmc config..or maybe a business jet like feel there's e50, flight1's Mustang etc...These have an fmc and are a good middle between ga and heavy airliners.

the majestic dash8 is a bit simpler than the pmdg offerings in terms of complexity, if you prefer to learn through videos the airline2sim video set for it is amazing and might make for a smoother introduction to sophisticated aircraft

i also agree the ngx is as good a place to start as any. the 777 is actually even easier to use as it's avionics are a bit more automated. hard part with modern airliners is getting used to using an FMS but once you 'get it' then it becomes pretty easy to use them on any aircraft that have 'em.

also keep in mind that the pmdg stuff isn't compatible with steam fsx yet although it is my understanding they are releasing updates for that very soon like next week.

cheers

-andy crosby

Kind words Andy, thank you. The Q400 is indeed a 'study level' aircraft and is certainly not one to hop into and hope for the best. As with the real aircraft, the workload is high and the short sectors normally flown by it make the Q400 a harder day out than that say in an A320.

The Aerosoft Airbus is probably a good middle ground between complexity and ease of use. The documentation included is very comprehensive and most people with a reasonable level of talent should be able to fly it fairly well. We'll be releasing a training course for this later this year where I'll be taught the whole Airbus 'thing' by an Easyjet Captain, but there is plenty of other material to keep you going for now.

I'd also add that our friends at Angle of Attack produced a fine set of training videos for the PMDG 737NGX which covers pretty much everything you need to know. The learning curve in any of these study level add ons is pretty steep but it's the learning that makes them fun.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

You might be well beyond them, but if you're wholly new to tubeliners then you could do worse than messing around with the (gasp!) default 737 (or maybe the Lear for smaller fun).

They are not remotely like the real deal but they are a) free and b) a good way of getting used to some of the facts of life in bigger birds - like managing descents from 35,000 rather than 3,500 in GA, or landing at 160kts etc.  Even getting used to larger turning circles and the "heaviness" of the big stuff.

I repeat: the defaults are a world away from the payware, but if you've not wet your nose at all, they might be worth a go.

After that I'd agree with several others - the NGX is hard to beat.  Love it.

Paul Skol

Just remember your not going to master in one hour what takes years in reality. Consider frustration and failures learning experience.

Vic green