Sign in to follow this  
sjgold

New to airliners... what to get?

Grab the PMDG NGX.. sure it will seem overwhelming when you first get it.. but just watch a few videos on Youtube.. download a Startup Checklist, and you'll be up and running in no time!

Or course wait till they make it compatible, which I think would be shortly.

Just remember your not going to master in one hour what takes years in reality. Consider frustration and failures learning experience.

Newbies to big iron should frame this quote and nail it to the wall. Bang on! 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

As a die-hard cult follower of the venerable Level D 767, which is also available in a FSX version  I find myself extolling the beauty of that bird at ever opportunity that presents itself, so, I sayeth verily unto thee, SJGold, go forth and acquire the Level D 767, for it can do no wrong.  

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Thanks everyone for the tips...

Looks like the Airbus is the way to go at first and then soon go to NGX....

Should be a fun learning ride...

I just did the same about 3 weeks ago so don't hesitate to ping me if you need some basic information on the Airbus 320.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Aerosoft has the Airbus A318/319/320/321 setup, but they kill FPS for me.

I highly recommend these aircraft. I started flying these aircraft before moving to the PMDG aircraft and it made the transition so much smoother. The Aerosoft planes also come with a co-pilot that will basically do everything for you except FLY the plane. So you can see what is being turned on or what buttons are being pushed so you can start to memorize the checklists. Once you memorize them you don't need the copilot and can do everything yourself. One thing that you do have to do is setup the MCDU with all the flight info but there are tons of tutorials out there that explain this. Once you do it a few times it becomes super easy. The only thing else you are really responsible for is setting up the auto pilot. 

Don't forget that behind all the computer gizmos there's an airplane!

Although these aircraft are designed to be flown by the numbers for safety and economy, both the 'buses and the NGX are a real pleasure to hand fly - the Airbus especially with its "point-and-go" FBW.  You can set the flaps, firewall the throttles, rotate at around 150 knots and do a few touch-and-gos without looking up a single number or touching a single button, gauging your approach speed by the pitch angle needed to hold the glideslope - this is a sim, remember! The MCP autopilot modes (selected modes in airbus-speak) also work fine without any pre-programming.

Knowing how the airplane flies helps avoid a lot of "what's it doing now?" moments when the star trek gear is engaged.

Now, if only someone will tell me how to do this with my airbus...

I don't own any of the PMDG boeings, but from these forums it seems like users spend an inordinate time dealing with OOM crashes.  Maybe that's just a subset of the universe of users, but it's off-puting for me.

scott s.

I don't own any of the PMDG boeings, but from these forums it seems like users spend an inordinate time dealing with OOM crashes.  Maybe that's just a subset of the universe of users, but it's off-puting for me.

it's definitely a subset - it's self selecting. most people don't come to the forums to post about when they don't have a crash! :)

like any complex add-on, the pmdg planes do have a fairly high VAS usage but it only becomes problematic when coupled with other high-VAS addons like airports, photoreal scenery, etc. personally my only needed tweak was that when flying the 777 i set my autogen level 1 step lower than i would with vfr flying. it's also fairly easy to monitor your VAS to isolate and solve those issues. there also seems to be some evidence that fsx-se solves some of those problems by managing VAS better but at least for me it is difficult to test conclusively until pmdg releases their updated versions for fsx-se, i don't really have any other addons with such large memory usage to try against...

anyway cheers!

-andy crosby

They're really completely different levels of complexity.  If I were to pick one to learn airliners on I'd choose the NGX hands down.  It also feels like a much higher quality addon to me.  

Feel free to reach out to myself or the forum with any questions.  We're a helpful bunch and don't usually bite too hard.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

The Aerosoft A318 and forth also offer new learning curve, it will enlight Renton fanb*ys that Toulouse also offers similar, if not more superior, systems. It is important to study how an aircraft works but it is more important to expand one's horison in aviation..through flight simulation, if you are a serious simmer.

Learning curves vary, the lowest perhaps is to properly operating an aircraft, while having comparative study in order to understand how tday's technology has to offer is the highest.

NGX doesnt have any competitor, simulation wise. The new Aerosoft Airbus on the othet hand, offers you the basic understanding of how the system enhances safety and reduces the chances of pilot error. In real world, 737 isnt only struggling to outsell A320, but also suffering lesser orders (although recording higher deliveries in 2014).

Aerosoft Airbus has heavier performance, yes. The nearly 5 year old NGX has surprisingly better frame rates. But the difference is hardly noticeable.

Gorky Max

I echo the statements here. I was Boeing born, and the transition to Airbus was hard initially for me partly due to my addiction to the Boeing philosophy vs Airbus'...and a bit of prejudice I must admit.

But the best thing to help transition to Airbus without a doubt is aerosoft's built-in copilot like Sportsfan mentioned above.

Also like others have mentioned, the PMDG offerings are as close as you'll get to real world.

Between the 737 & 777, the 777, though much larger (and initially intimidating) is actually easier to learn systems wise because of the automation.

The best thing to do is do a little more research, watch the ton of YouTube videos...google frooglesim and sit through his "fully loaded" series...those alone will help and maybe inspire you to step both feet into to tubeliner world.

Good luck!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Iwatch the ton of YouTube videos...google frooglesim and sit through his "fully loaded" series...those alone will help and maybe inspire you to step both feet into to tubeliner world.

Good luck!

Or might want to tear all the hair on your head...Frooglesim video goes to an insane amount of details. His knowledge of aviation and flight simulation is mind boggling. I decided to start making my own video in a "newbie" mindset to give newcomer (like me) them a tier down complexity explanation of all things sims.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.