Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Wet aircraft skins

Has anyone done (or considered it if it hasn't already been done/tried) wet aircraft skins for flying in wet weather? The paintwork would be shinier and gleaming a bit more being wet that it would when it's dry. Don't know if it's technically possible but just had to ask as I've been thinking about it.

It might be if there was a way to reload the textures while in flight. The thing is how so you reload textures with out reloading everything else which would kill VAS. If the alpha was added as a effect than it would be much easier. But again that would mean reloading. What I would personallt would like to do is make a program that adds dirt and wear to the plane is it gets further away from its C Check. But I need to learn to program to do that.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Not sure if you know this or not but an aircraft would only remain "wet" while it sat on the ground but even then, it would not be wet - it would have rain drops on it.  As the aircraft accelerated down the runway, as expected, and much the same as a car, the rain would run off the aircraft's skin.

Now a dirty aircraft like the second poster mentioned, now that would be amazing.  You tend to get a lot of grime and dirt around the underside of the winds aft of the main bogeys and the underside of the fuselage.  You would also have some residue around the APU exhaust and the nacelles, especially around the TR's.

Great idea but I feel that it would have a feasibility factor of zero or close to it.