Sign in to follow this  
saintly1941

FSX Default scenery.

Newbie here. Since FSX Steam Edition came out I'm on the fence with the look of scenery I've seen on You Tube. So I'm wondering if I should give FSX Gold a try. The question however is I have a load of FSX pay ware that has been stacking up since I was interested in FS9(Being compatible with FSX). Question again so as not to blab on, is should I delete the default scenery as installed with FSX so that I could for instance install FSX Extreme Heathrow?

Thanks

Roger

Addon scenery works OVER default, never delete default anything in FSX or you could have issues

Jay

Get ORBX Global and Vector as soon as you can. If you are interested in flying in Europe get ORBX OpenLC EU. They are a vast improvement over FSX default. You can get comparison screenshots on ORBX's forums between Global and FSX default.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Newbie here. Since FSX Steam Edition came out I'm on the fence with the look of scenery I've seen on You Tube. So I'm wondering if I should give FSX Gold a try. The question however is I have a load of FSX pay ware that has been stacking up since I was interested in FS9(Being compatible with FSX). Question again so as not to blab on, is should I delete the default scenery as installed with FSX so that I could for instance install FSX Extreme Heathrow?

Thanks

Roger

Not to mean to appear pedantic, but just to address a couple of points in your question;-

• 'FSX Gold' is just boxed FSX (with the 'Acceleration' pack), and it contains exactly the same scenery as FSX Steam Edition.       So if you're not happy with FSX Steam Edition's scenery, don't buy FSX Gold - it's the same simulator! :smile:
  • Most FS9 sceneyy isn't compatible with FSX, and vice versa.
  • As others have said above, you don't 'delete' anything, to get better scenery - you install new addon scenery and it will just supercede the default sceneries, in area(s) which it relates to.

You can buy specific airports, (eg.. Manchester), or specific scenery regions (eg.. Orbx Pacific North West), or Global Texture upgrades, which is what 'AviatorMan' was referring to above.

I'd agree with him, that best initial antidote to unimpressive default FSX scenery would be to buy "FTX Global", and then "FTC Global VECTOR".   These 2 products improve the scenery of the whole world.

www.fullterrain.com

Thanks guys. Craig, I did say that the FS2004 pay ware that I had built up were all marked as compatible with FSX on the box. And the only reason why I mentioned Gold was as an example to what I might have needed, but even then I was dubious because of the arm and a leg price.

Ok now that you've all pointed me to a better direction I might just go for FSX and not Steam. First though, because I'm not too sure as I've read over different comments on FSX etc. Am I right in saying FSX is a 32bit program? My PC is pretty powerful(I think) and runs on Win 7 64bit.

Okay, now what do you suggest, although I'm swayed towards the stand-alone program. I have looked and found these to choose from:

FSX Deluxe Edition

FSX Acceleration Pack

or just simply FSX.

Cheers for now.

ALL versions of FSX are 32 bit, thats the original code.

FSX Deluxe Edition-IF you want to fly multiplayer you will need at least this version, it also includes a few other 'bells and whistles'. You will also need to install the 2 FSX service pacs (free).

FSX Acceleration Pack-This is an addon pack that includes it's own version of the 2 service packs.

FSX Gold- Includes the Acceleration addon.

or just simply FSX.- go with at least the Deluxe version

Jay

Thanks again everyone. Would I be pushing it if I gave my specs and what software I have just to see if they are worth using? Some of the software as I said have been built up so may be a bit old in the tooth now(As I am). They might not be compatible with FSX even though it says when OS is Windows or higher.

Tell me if it would be okay to provide information on both.

Roger

Addons on FSX-SE (Steam edition) are in the process of being converted, mostly makign the installers detect whenever you have both FSX and FSX-SE installed or not.

If you are starting now, to be honest i would suggest you to go for FSX-SE. More accessible, there are some tweaks that helps against Out of Memory errors on really heavy sceneries plus FSX-SE already includes all patches and the Acceleration pack too. So it's something less to be worried about.

The cons right now are exactly that, the fact that not all addons have been updated by the developers yet.

Scenery wise tho, i think Orbx's FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX OpenLC Europe now can detect FSX-SE (as long as it's the only FSX copy installed on your pc)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thanks france89. Reason why I was on the fence really was the graphics. I saw what they looked like on You Tube and thought why not wait till DTG fix the bugs. But not to defect to the old myth of what it's been like on TS204/5 things tend to take a little bit long to address with the many incompatibles. So if I choose to stay with Steam version and the mentality to be patient and wait for what we all need. I need to see a much more sharper view when I open up FSX Steam for the first time with add-ons that I hope will work to make it what I want it to look like. If it means purchasing REX and ORBX etc then so be it. Those patches need to come sooner than later.

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy gold over the steam edition. I've seen a lot of people on twitch talking about how they want to buy FSX but don't want to go with steam and instead get the boxed version of gold. Steam Edition is gold, but bug fixed and continuing to be patched by dovetail.

In terms of price, on amazon.co.uk the box version is selling used for £92 and new for £125 (Click here)

so for the price of getting the boxed gold version you can get steam edition (£19.99) Orbx Global (£53.81) and Global Vector (£37.66) spending £111.46. You have have spent less than buying the boxed version of the game new, have massively better textures than you would get in the gold version of the game and still have some change to play around with to spend on maybe other add-on, an airport or something depending?

So personally if you don't already own the game just save yourself money, get the steam edition of the game enjoy the add-ons that do work and a lot of them do and wait for add-on like active sky next and PMDG aircraft.

Thanks Mitsunari. I made my mind up whilst reading the comments of which was the real reason for posting anyway. I have FSX SE installed so it's just a matter of setting up the hardware of which I have most of to play the sim. I just wasn't sure about the add-ons that I have would work as such which led me down the windy path of Gold, of which I reiterate was only used as an example of what I could aim at instead.

So I'm going to stick with Steam edition and wait for the patches etc before going head first into the muck.

Because I made a request if it would be okay to list my specs and what I have to hand in the way of add-ons, I'll offload these so you're the first to see. I won't bother with the specs unless you would be interested in seeing them. So here is what I have scenery wise:

UK 2000 Xtreme Airports Vol 1 Stansted+London City

UK 2000 Xtreme Airports Vol 2 Heathrow+ Gatwick

UK 2000 Xtreme Airports Vol 3 Manchester+Liverpool

PILOT'S FS Global X 2010

AEROSOFT Mega Airport Paris Orly

AEROSOFT Mega Airport Hong Kong

AEROSOFT Mega Airport Frankfurt

AEROSOFT Mega Airport Amsterdam Schipol

I see PMDG has released the B737 version to Steam so that's the first thing I've seen since it started. Apart from the RealAir Duke(Which is superb) nothing else is showing as yet. Sorry about talking planes but it just crossed my train of thought.