Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Trying to move from VOR to SID/Stars navigation

Trying to go on to the next step in my flight sim. I use to rely on ATC and VOR to VOR Navigation to get to destination. This weekend  I try to move to SID/STARS navigation. I am using Aerosoft A320. I did program the FMC correctly but I am still struggling with landing and ILS approach. At what exact time should I activate approach phase ? When do I engage LOC and approach hold ? I've read many post on A320 landing procedure and each is different than the next.  If you missed an approach, how do you go back to retry again ? all manual ?

I was over shooting the runaway in all 3 attempt I did. I did managed to land the plain in a farm field 2 miles after the runaway..ouch.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Most SID/STARS are based off VORs, they are just a form of terminal navigation. I would recommend flying some STARs off the needles in a less complicated aircraft(even though the Airbus guves you a lot of help) so that you understand it first.

Try the CAMPS3 arrival into Maui (PHOG) which picks up the ILS to runway 02

-Matt Chase

USCG HC-130H Pilot

One of the best websites ever:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

SID and STAR's are just based off fixes and intersections from VOR mostly anyway. 

Lots of tutorials for SID and STAR procedures.

Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLbPpwWVw58

Some STAR's contain a transition to the ILS approach, some don't. Depends on many factors.

I would recommend you purchase Captain Mike Ray's A320 training book, either download or hard-copy versions, available from his website ... http://utem.com/.  Not cheap but accurate. Procedures explained in easy-to-understand and humorous style.  Much of the info provided can be helpful when flying other aircraft as well.  Win, win.   <_<

This can be supplemented by subscribing to NavData, issued every 28 days, from either Navigraph or NavDataPro (Aerosoft.)  Used in association with airport plates (charts) and enroute (sectional) charts from Navigraph (payware) or internet (free) and a good flight planner PFPX/Topcat, FSBuild, vRoute Premium (payware) others available free from the internet; you will have all bases covered to up your skill set. 

Now given you do go ahead with the above you will quickly realise two things.  Firstly your hobby has become work and secondly you now understand why co-pilots are required ... not merely useful.   :He He:   If you feel overwhelmed you can enlist the help of FS2Crew or Multi Crew Experience (MCE) payware programs which provide voice controlled co-pilot assistance.

The final conclusion you will reach is default ATC leaves much to be desired. Radar Contact and Pro Flight Emulator Deluxe are payware substitutes and can be heartily recommended.

Best of luck with your journey.   :good:

Trying to go on to the next step in my flight sim. I use to rely on ATC and VOR to VOR Navigation to get to destination. This weekend  I try to move to SID/STARS navigation. I am using Aerosoft A320. I did program the FMC correctly but I am still struggling with landing and ILS approach. At what exact time should I activate approach phase ? When do I engage LOC and approach hold ? I've read many post on A320 landing procedure and each is different than the next.  If you missed an approach, how do you go back to retry again ? all manual ?

I was over shooting the runaway in all 3 attempt I did. I did managed to land the plain in a farm field 2 miles after the runaway..ouch.

Just fly the tutorial

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Arming the approach has nothing to do with whether you are flying a STAR.  A fine time to arm the approach is when you get on the intercept heading for the localizer.

I would recommend you purchase Captain Mike Ray's A320 training book, either download or hard-copy versions, available from his website ... http://utem.com/.  Not cheap but accurate. Procedures explained in easy-to-understand and humorous style.  Much of the info provided can be helpful when flying other aircraft as well.  Win, win.   <_<

This can be supplemented by subscribing to NavData, issued every 28 days, from either Navigraph or NavDataPro (Aerosoft.)  Used in association with airport plates (charts) and enroute (sectional) charts from Navigraph (payware) or internet (free) and a good flight planner PFPX/Topcat, FSBuild, vRoute Premium (payware) others available free from the internet; you will have all bases covered to up your skill set. 

Now given you do go ahead with the above you will quickly realise two things.  Firstly your hobby has become work and secondly you now understand why co-pilots are required ... not merely useful.   :He He:   If you feel overwhelmed you can enlist the help of FS2Crew or Multi Crew Experience (MCE) payware programs which provide voice controlled co-pilot assistance.

The final conclusion you will reach is default ATC leaves much to be desired. Radar Contact and Pro Flight Emulator Deluxe are payware substitutes and can be heartily recommended.

Best of luck with your journey.   :good:

I got EFASS and bought 1 cycle from Navigraph so I think I got that part cover.. I was trying MCE this weekend but I ran into some error not recognizing my command with my french accent.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Honestly the PMDG B737-800/900 has the best tutorial out there (it has two official ones now)

Take it from a non tube liner dude, with the tutorial #1 from pmdg I was able to do 95% of what I need for an online flight (the other 5 % is just learning about navigation)

Price is a little steep for a beginner plane but it's extremely well done Acft and tutorials. You can have it loaded engines one etc and all you need are a few mins to program FMS and you're off... Easy peasy

Edit: shoot i just realized this is the P3D forum - 737 isn't offcially out yet

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |