Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Loading flight plan into ASN has one big advantage

I'm sure most of you know about this but for those who don't...

When you switch your Com 1 frequency to 122.02 (or 122.025) you will hear the current METAR information for your destination airport.

This only works when you preload your flight plan into ASN.

Also, tuning in 122.00 will give you the wx at the closest current location.

Tuning in 122.05 will give you a full wx briefing per what you receive from  Flight Service.

Loading flightplans these days is one of the most strange and confusing things.  You can load it in FSX and/or so many things...ASN, FMC, GTN or GNS, ATC software, EFB, traffic programs.  Each has their advantages and blind spots.  It would be great if there was one central sandbox where they could work...with current data, of course.

Ugh.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Is there any actual advantage to the weather accuracy in FSX if we load the plan into ActiveSky, even in a networked config?

Is there any actual advantage to the weather accuracy in FSX if we load the plan into ActiveSky, even in a networked config?

There is an advantage, yes. To quote a portion of the latest ASN manual (page 8), "Flight plans are not required but are highly recommended, as they enable more accurate weather conditions as well as provide more accurate data reports."

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Does it not read the flightplan that's in FSX if it's loaded?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Does it not read the flightplan that's in FSX if it's loaded?

It will do so ONLY if you enable "Auto load simulator flight plan" within ASN's Settings-- General options.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I never load a flight plan except occasionally specifying departure and destination points in ASN because I never use the FSX flight planner.  What is the most convenient way to handle a flight plan that is not based on default FSX nav data, like what might get programmed in a plane with an FMS? 

I believe that the only flightplan format ASN can read is *.pln; you can also manually enter a flightplan directly into ASN.

I use PFPX and Aivlasoft's EFB, and I generate with these both a FSX flightplan along with a flightplan compatible with whatever addon (i.e. PMDG) I'm flying. I then load the FSX plan into ASN.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I just tried that with a flightplan injected into FSX by Aivlasoft...didn't put the flightplan into ASN and it works great.  

Gregg Seipp