Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

Hot Start Fix

Guest BeaverDriver

Well, thanks to a good friend, we have a fix for the hot start. You'll need something like AirEd (not sure where you can get that now, and there are alternatives so those in the know maybe can post links for these) to edit the air file. BACK UP YOUR AIR FILE FIRST!!

Look for Section 1526 - Turbine ITT. Change the value on the ITT Limit to 1600 (now set at 2200 - equates to something close to Lava!). I saw elsewhere here on the forum that an AME person said the starts should be around 450 to 500 max on the ITT. This will give you about 550. I have done one flight with it and I don't think it negatively affects anything else, although your temps my run a little on the low side - not sure. But to me that's preferable to watching your engines melt every time you hit the starter button.

Hope that helps. Now to get the other (really obscure) problems fixed, like not being able to read the EADI and so forth.

In addition, this friend read on the Carenado Facebook site that a fellow was talking to a RW 550 captain (same vintage and model as this one). He said that yes, the airplane is really doggy once you approach the 30's. So maybe the step climbing thing is somewhat normal for this airplane. Anyway, with the hot start fixed, I'll go back to flying it because that was the real killer for me. That other stuff has to get fixed too though, which I have submitted a ticket for.

Well, thanks to a good friend, we have a fix for the hot start. You'll need something like AirEd (not sure where you can get that now, and there are alternatives so those in the know maybe can post links for these) to edit the air file. BACK UP YOUR AIR FILE FIRST!!

Look for Section 1526 - Turbine ITT. Change the value on the ITT Limit to 1600 (now set at 2200 - equates to something close to Lava!). I saw elsewhere here on the forum that an AME person said the starts should be around 450 to 500 max on the ITT. This will give you about 550. I have done one flight with it and I don't think it negatively affects anything else, although your temps my run a little on the low side - not sure. But to me that's preferable to watching your engines melt every time you hit the starter button.

Hope that helps. Now to get the other (really obscure) problems fixed, like not being able to read the EADI and so forth.

In addition, this friend read on the Carenado Facebook site that a fellow was talking to a RW 550 captain (same vintage and model as this one). He said that yes, the airplane is really doggy once you approach the 30's. So maybe the step climbing thing is somewhat normal for this airplane. Anyway, with the hot start fixed, I'll go back to flying it because that was the real killer for me. That other stuff has to get fixed too though, which I have submitted a ticket for.

Very nice!  AirEd is still available in the library.  http://library.avsim.net/search.php?...root&Go=Search  

Matt Moore

Chief Pilot | Elite Airways "The Virtual Executive Airline" 

Look for Section 1526 - Turbine ITT. Change the value on the ITT Limit to 1600

I try 2000, 1600 was to cold in startup, cruise and steady conditions, but thanks for the Tip very nice.

Cheers Janek

1600 gave me a perfect start. The JT15 starts cool, 450-500*C. But my ITT on take off and cruise was low. I'm going to try 1800 later.

Matt Moore

Chief Pilot | Elite Airways "The Virtual Executive Airline" 

Can you then share your results? Yes you are right with startup, in the cruise and takeoff is it too cold. We'll find the best value. Thank You

I would suggest, instead of tweaking ITT Limit, tweak the rate of change.

I don't have the plane but it sounds like a classic spool up overshoot problem.

Try a rate of change of 0.4 and keep ITT back up at default.

That should fix it and keep ITT reasonable during cruise climb descent etc (or at least near whatever default values there are).

I would suggest, instead of tweaking ITT Limit, tweak the rate of change.

I don't have the plane but it sounds like a classic spool up overshoot problem.

Try a rate of change of 0.4 and keep ITT back up at default.

That should fix it and keep ITT reasonable during cruise climb descent etc (or at least near whatever default values there are).

I gave this a try, but it still way overshot to the same 700 plus degree temperature on startup, it just took longer to get there and longer to fallback - but it was fun seeing what would happen  :smile:  

Cheers...

1600 gave me a perfect start. The JT15 starts cool, 450-500*C. But my ITT on take off and cruise was low. I'm going to try 1800 later

1800 gave me a 550 degree start and then about 450 degree operation just about all the time after, so this sounds too low as well...

Wound up trying 2175, and the starts hit just below the yellow line and the operating temp range appeared to be better  - so generally speaking,  it seems that by manipulating this variable you can have good "cool" start temps but cold operating temps, or vice versa...

Incidentally how long is the start up procedure? From starter button until idle?

Roughly 20 seconds with the ITT rate set at 2.000

I missed this one a few days ago - great tip Glenn - have just d/l'ed AirEd and going to try some of the values mentioned here.

Guest BeaverDriver

Thanks Craig. I think I ended up at 2000, similar to others here. 1600 gives you a cool start, but it is too cold in flight.

Thanks Craig. I think I ended up at 2000, similar to others here. 1600 gives you a cool start, but it is too cold in flight.

I'm on 2100 Glenn, and quite like it; still a comprimise as you reflected but so much more realistic than the stock ITT start figures!