Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

FSX: SE. A Dead End?

It was a dead end 5 years ago and it still is. Badly optimized compare to P3D or X-plane 10. The only reason simmers are holding on to it is because of the addon investment they have in it. Otherwise, they would have switch a long time ago.

Glad you have it all figured out. :P

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It was a dead end 5 years ago and it still is. Badly optimized compare to P3D or X-plane 10. The only reason simmers are holding on to it is because of the addon investment they have in it. Otherwise, they would have switch a long time ago.

I don't know what you mean by "dead end". I still get enjoyment from it, and even more so with the improvements, including stability, that the Steam Edition has brought. Not to mention companies are still developing new products for FSX.

My wife has a 2007 Porsche which she occasionally lets me drive (normally so I can wash it for her <g>). Just because there have been new models since then does not take away any of the enjoyment I get when driving it.

There is also the fact that I do not qualify as a student, so purchasing P3D would cost me $200 - something I simply refuse to do, out of a matter of principle.

I don't care what the nay-sayers say: FSX-SE has brought many improvements, and they are not "placebos" - I can complete flights I never could before due to OOMs, even after a fresh installation. I am one happy customer!

Edit to last paragraph - I meant "I can complete" not cannot.

Glad you have it all figured out. :P

When you are in a bad marriage, sometime you have to bit the bullet and divorce instead of living in the past. PMDG is coming to P3D, I already ready to move on. In the meantime, I got a nice 777 in X-plane 10.,

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

As to Flight with full world coverage, we are there already.  Go to the MS Flight Forum, and read about the Flight Toolkit ^_^

Very true, it is almost there, thanks to stonelance and a couple of other dedicated people. My only problem, after almost 500 hours in MS Flight is the six year old graphics jn FSX. MS Flight is so so much cleaner and it is all about the eye candy for me. I also hope that Dovetail is smart enough to use the Flight engine in their "new" sim. I will buy it.

Steve

My only problem, after almost 500 hours in MS Flight is the six year old graphics jn FSX. MS Flight is so so much cleaner

FSX + Orbx Global looks much better than MS Flight ever did.

Your problem with FSX is that you never spent enough on it to realise its potential.

With the addons available now and with todays PC's, FSX is a completly different proposition.

I actually think that having FSX:SE is good just as a back up in case the worst happens to my beloved boxed version. I was only £3.99 in the steam Christmas sale, I'd say totally worth it.

Based on all the information that I have read so far, it is my opinion that DTG can actually make changes to the game engine. Based on what I have read so far Microsoft still owns FSX, but they are not developing it anymore. A third party company is now doing this, which in this case is Dovetail Games. I suppose that you can think of it kind of it like it was when Bungie (the makers of the Halo franchise) was once a first party developer for MS, just like the Aces Team once was. Bungie made Halo, however MS owns the rights to it. Today, 989 studios are the developers of the Halo franchise. Just last year republishing the old Halo collection that Bungie did, and updating the code to work on the XBOX One. Some of the changes to the core engine probably had to go through Microsoft, such as some of the graphic updates etc etc. Again just my opinion, but based on what I have read, Dovetails can indeed for example make FSX SE DX11 compatible, or any other major change to the core engine if that's something that Microsoft wants to happen. Here's an excerpt from the FSX SE Facebook page and I quote, "We can make changes to the core game like you mentioned Angel but we can not do that as we see fit. It is up to Microsoft to decide what changes if any they want to make".-Dovetails Game (Flight Simulator X Steam Edition Facebook)

So in summary I think FSX SE is great! I do believe that much like how 989 Studios carried on Halo for Microsoft by releasing the new next gen Halo series, Dovetail will do the same for Microsoft. They will probably release a new Flight Simulator, based on the work done in FSX, with new graphics and probably 64bit. Or it could be a new engine branded with the MS Flight Simulator name. For now we have FSX SE with some awesome bug fixes (haven't seen an OOM since installing), and who knows, if we demand it maybe Microsoft will give Dovetails the green light to enable DX11, or maybe they already have. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Very exciting times in this hobby. Change is good.

Sources:https://www.facebook.com/fsxinsider/posts/1546163298969253:0

See Post from 1/20/2015 comments section.

of course it's going to be smoother and more stable. You're performing a clean installation of the sim, without the bloat of an old installation with tons of add-ons, left-overs of uninstalled and upgraded add-ons etc.

If you install both versions( I did) and run them without any add-on ( which I also did) only default textures and so on, I can tell you that the boxed version doesn't even come close to level of smoothness  you get with the Steam version.I mean, how can it be a "placebo effect" if we don't even need to tweak the cfg?. Think about it.

No, I'll switch to P3D when it is better on my system. Currently it looks worse than FSX and performs worse than FSX-SE. I do have both Academic and Professional licenses for it, and i have been developing for it, but it needs to look good to me and perform better. I'm sure it will, one day, but it isn't there yet -- for me.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

No, I'll switch to P3D when it is better on my system. Currently it looks worse than FSX and performs worse than FSX-SE. I do have both Academic and Professional licenses for it, and i have been developing for it, but it needs to look good to me and perform better. I'm sure it will, one day, but it isn't there yet -- for me.

Pete

That I understand Pete. I guess my hardware differs from yours.  I get the exact opposite effect.

FSX SE is just a re-release of the same old 2006 simulator. It's nice to have it on a more modern, digital distribution platform, but other than that there's no real advantage.

I think any "bug fixes" or "optimizations" are just placebo - of course it's going to be smoother and more stable. You're performing a clean installation of the sim, without the bloat of an old installation with tons of add-ons, left-overs of uninstalled and upgraded add-ons etc.

I've seen you type this post, almost word for word, repeatedly since FSX:SE was released.   Your solid statement that any perceived improvement in performance is just placebo (and not based in the updated MS compilers that were used, or the changes to scenery flushing, etc) and every time I just ask the same question;--

Do you have it ?

Have you tried it ?

I'm pretty sure from your posts that the answer to both is no.   And therefore your statement is as credible as someone who claims that FSX:SE now gives them 100 FPS in the PMDG 777 over Aerosoft Heathrow, with 100% AI ......... (who also hasn't even tried it).

Pete

+1

.....nothing I'd love more that to throw FSX in the bin, and to uninstall FSX:SE and Steam, and run only P3D2, but similarly it runs terribly on my system.  It can't even deliver the level of AA/AF that I get in FSX, never mind deliver it with adequate performance.

Not true. I am using all my add-ons (except ASN at present, waiting for it), and all my sceneries, textures, aircraft and AI. I have deliberately loaded it up to the same level as my FSX installation -- easily done by using the same CFG files (I have full paths in each). FSX-SE is performing far better than FSX-MS.

Sir,

I do not profess to have the years of experience or credibly you have; also, I have immense respect for EVERYTHING you have done for our hobby.  However, I do hold a Masters in Computer Science and have actively worked in IT community for 20 years; thus, I consider myself knowledgeable of the subject matter.  To that end, I believe my statement has some credibility.   I am not disagreeing with your assertion; however, simply recompiling the code without altering the source code will yield little performance increase. Moreover, it will not correct any fundamental problems associated with FSX performance.  I believe Froogle shares my opinion? I hope that’s accurate as I feel like an &@($* disagreeing with an unquestionable pillar of our community. 

“That certainly isn't true either! You have obviously not even bothered to read the list of changes they've made, openly published on their Forums”

Sir, I honestly do not know how to respond to this.  DG has repeatedly, and openly, stated time and time again that they are prohibited from altering FSXs source code.  In fact, this very thread contains verbiage to that effect.    I have read EVERYTHING DG has released, and they have implicitly stated:  “Dovetail Games is acting as a publisher for Microsoft and is only licenced to modify the simulator in order to make it Steam compatible.” 

I have read your post stating the OP interruption of this statement was incorrect; yet, I believe this statement is clear.  Moreover, DG stated a similar position during the interview conducted by AVSIM.   DG cannot alter the core code without MS implicit permission.   DG themselves stated the following:

“We can make changes to the core game like you mentioned Angel but we can not do that as we see fit. It is up to Microsoft to decide what changes if any they want to make. – Martin”

IMHO, DG has been opened and honest about the limited performance gains FSX SE will yield; yet, we continue to apply our own spins to DG official statements, which have created a paradigm where some believe FSX SE is the next iteration of FSX.   As an FSX SE user, I simply do not agree with assertion.  Although, the Steam platform offers some AWESOME in-game benefits (in-game browser anyone…), it’s not going to yield “significant” performance increases (i.e. above 10%). 

Again, please do not view my descending viewpoint as a display of disrespect, Mr. Dawson.  Again, I appreciate your immense talent and dedication to our hobby!  I simply see things differently than you…

Edited by n4gix
Deleted excessive quote.

Matt King

DTG can't change the look and feel to FSX significantly.

But they are allowed to make it run better as they have started.

It's funny how people keep bringing up p3d and PMDG. The fact is once pmdg releases the 777 for p3d we will see posts after posts about oom lol.

In my opinion p3d is not ready for prime time until its 64bit because the inherent problem of running out of memory is still present. Anyone can upgrade their system to handle it. I have a gtx 970 with an i7 4770K running at 4.7ghz and p3d runs beautiful on it but to avoid oom I have to turn down the very settings that make it so beautiful which brings it right back to the level of fsx.

I also have fsx:ms and fsx:se. They both run great but seriously runs alot better and starts alot faster with all my addons and I have the same addons in both. Just waiting on asn and PMDG to complete my switch full time

That's because you have an Nvidia card. If you had an AMD card, you would sing a different tune all together. I can't wait for PMDG to be on P3D than we will really be able to compare apple to apple.