Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

FSX: SE. A Dead End?

All I know is that I could never run FSX. Now with FSX-SE, I'm getting 40 fps, with an off the shelf $350 Dell from Best Buy.

Yes, the performance is much better, especially when it is heavily loaded.   This statement, quoted from a January posting:

"Recompiling the source code will have a minimal, if any, impact on game performance.  What it will do, is make the game more stable for users employing modern operating systems (e.g. Windows 8).  To that end, it will have minimal impact; however, it will not, as you suggest, optimize the code  to take advantage of modern CPUs"

is wrong. The later compilers optimise for the later CPUs, especially in areas like pipelining.  I've had to examine the code to convert FSUIPC over to operate on FSX-SE the same as it did on FSX, so I can see this in the machine-level code (assembly code).

This part also isn't true:

"However, DG has stated they haven’t altered any source code; "

In fact they never stated that, but instead the exact opposite. They've fixed several known bugs in the original FSX code and adapted the multiplayer code to work with Steam.

The only prohibition they had in their license was that they aren't allowed to change its "functionality", which I would take to mean they can't actually add new facilities and features.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

"However, DG has stated they haven’t altered any source code; "

In fact they never stated that, but instead the exact opposite. They've fixed several known bugs in the original FSX code and adapted the multiplayer code to work with Steam.

The only prohibition they had in their license was that they aren't allowed to change its "functionality", which I would take to mean they can't actually add new facilities and features.

Pete

Don't forget the much improved VAS management changes. Which didn't come to P3D until V3.x.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The thing with Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 is that it has wireframe buildings and objects with solid colours for ground, water, sky and clouds, I can't wait for the detail to get better and imagine someday we will be flying desktop Flight Simulators that use a whopping 128 Kilobytes of RAM. Perhaps someday I will be able to see my own house.

Oh what the future will bring  :smile:

I hope that was a typo, there - 128Kilobytes of RAM. Surely you mean 128 Gigabytes of RAM???

Actually John, I do believe that was retro-scarcasm... :dance:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Are you so naive to think that Lockheed is using their full force on a simulator? :P

Woudn't you say that Lockheed, being what it is, would also had the power, if they wanted to, to develop their own graphic engine instead of basing it on the FSX ESP one?

As for the license of Dovetail, it's obvious it will be for entertainement since that is their market.

Using cinematics is something pretty much every game company does, the important thing is that after that there have been real gameplay videos, community contributors taking even more videos, live streams and so on.

The Lockheed story is that in the last 20 years or so, the US military, at a somewhat lower level in the chain of command, began an informal use of MSFS in primary training. Eventually, it was integrated into the training syllabus. There's certain aspects of MSFS that restricted it from being a true simulator. Lockheed, sensing an opportunity and adept at drinking at the DOD trough, bought the rights from Microsoft when the opportunity presented itself, then talked DOD into paying for it. The "educational" license was originally planned to be just that, available to educational institutes, and distributed to their students. When and how it was decided to allow Joe Blow Simmer the ability to buy the product I don't know. If Lockheed designs a totally new PC based sim, It probably won't be available to the public, and will be cost prohibitive for most simmers if it is.

• Upvote 1

If Lockheed designs a totally new PC based sim, It probably won't be available to the public, and will be cost prohibitive for most simmers if it is.

You have absolutely no factual basis for this speculation. I could just as easily speculate that LM will give away its new simulator (which doesn't presently exist) for free.

Pure speculation, certainly does not need any factual basis to speculate..

So there, anyone can speculate without any factual basis at all!!

Simple Definition of speculation
  • : ideas or guesses about something that is not known

speculation
ˌspɛkjʊˈleɪʃn/  
noun
noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations

The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

If you fly in virtual reality with Flyinside (as I do now exclusively),FSX-SE is the way forward.(Along with P3D)

The boxed FSX version performs poorly in VR.

And with the frequent Steam sales (I got mine for the price of a coffee) FSX SE is definitely something I will be using for a LONG time!

Jay