Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

FSX: SE. A Dead End?

Dead End... Well if you mean new features and functionality yes its a dead end. But DT has already shown they are willing and able to make changes and bug fixes and even some performance tweaks.

One massive thing to consider is the fact that if you wanted to get into MSFSX it was about 100$ or more to purchase on eBay or Amazon, now its the price of a bag of crisps... well not all the time, but I picked it up for 5$ if you wait till a steam sale you will most likely be able to pick it up just as cheep.

More Community, is never a bad thing. For developers its a boom, I would likely say there has been an uptick in purchases since the launch.

Stop with the doom and gloom, if nothing else exposing it to the massive power or steam distribution is a great thing for us.

It brought me back to FS and I purchased fspisupc, orbx g and v, all 3 rex's and a few planes from A2A and Coranado and i will most likely buy gtx global mesh tonight.....

Thats a nice chunk of change into the developers hands that they would not have had if DT had not done the re-release, which means more development on the 3rd party will more likely get, increasing everyone's enjoyment......

I don't understand the hate....DT did a good thing....

I'm very happy to see FSX:SE get people excited about the hobby and stir some buzz.

The add-ons make the sim in my opinion. FSX has all of the add-ons, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more than P3D. So I know alot of people really like to feel that P3D is "better for training", but I don't see how exactly, with the same add-ons, short of volumetric fog and enhanced dx11 lighting, that the experience -for training- is different. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong....have they re-worked ATC or added some feature that makes the P3D platform better for training?

That's not even touching on the fact that their licensing is ridiculous and bogus, unless you're running a k-12 program or are an undergraduate college student.... Hope no one is getting any entertainment value from P3D, even all those kiddies or college students that are being taught aviation on all of those academic licenses out there!

I'm with Pete, I love my FSX Steam, using it has been a very positive experience for me so far.  I got along with FSX, but I'm really enjoying FSX SE.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

...unless you're running a k-12 program.

Academic is pre-k through 16, not "k-12," which category doesn't even take into account the other forms of schooling legitimately available.

One really should strive for accuracy, especially so if one is criticizing any subject.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Before you lock it, let me point out that references to k12 (or otherwise) are irrelevant in this context.

Thank you for the correction n4gix; in the future, I will strive for accuracy. k-16. My statement of opinion has been amended for accuracy.  The point is, I be highly surprised if everyone on an academic license runs a k-12 program, or are in an undergraduate degree program. I work for a university that has an undergraduate program. that neither makes me an undergraduate student, nor a teacher of such.

In the last Facebook news here: https://www.facebook.com/fsxinsider/posts/1546163298969253:0

Dovetail talk over your team only can convert FSX to give the multi-player compatibility with Steam, but the problem coming by that paragraph:

With ACES Studios and MS Flight Simulation team dissolved and closed. How can dovetail fixed stability problems or crash bugs if they can´t make changes into the core simulator files? Has FSX: SE only a placebo to a dead end franchise or MS has "rebuild" some type of team to help dovetail to counter the FSX problems? what happens if some fsx addons will be no compatible this FSX: SE meanwhile no core changes has maked?

Keep reading - they discuss an entire new simulator further down...

The add-ons make the sim in my opinion. FSX has all of the add-ons, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more than P3D. So I know alot of people really like to feel that P3D is "better for training", but I don't see how exactly, with the same add-ons, short of volumetric fog and enhanced dx11 lighting, that the experience -for training- is different. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong....have they re-worked ATC or added some feature that makes the P3D platform better for training?

That's not even touching on the fact that their licensing is ridiculous and bogus, unless you're running a k-12 program or are an undergraduate college student.... Hope no one is getting any entertainment value from P3D, even all those kiddies or college students that are being taught aviation on all of those academic licenses out there!

P3D has no autogen popping, best fix IMO, but I don´t like P3D, it´s ugly, poor performance, many issues still to be worked on.

The FSX-SE "hoopla" I do not understand, they made a clever trick with the zoom, so you don´t  load that much as FSX, get it??

Keep reading - they discuss an entire new simulator further down...

Where???

I noticed this:

•  
    • Riccardo Milan So if I well understand only MS can modify FSX:SE core? So you can't modify and improve FSX:SE code core and so performance in terms of fps and smoothness?

Too many expectations, too many wild and crazy dreams, I´ll stay with FSX.

work for a university that has an undergraduate program. that neither makes me an undergraduate student, nor a teacher of such.

Are you not either a student, instructor or staff associated with  academic education?

Perhaps you can tell us what  the "definitely license issues" are -  given that only Microssoft and DoveTail know them?

No, it's public knowledge, straight from the horse's mouth.

Our aim with FSX: Steam Edition is to provide a stable standalone simulator which utilises the advantages of the Steam platform. Microsoft remains the developer of FSX and is solely responsible for implementing any new features or content to the core simulator. Meanwhile, Dovetail Games is acting as a publisher for Microsoft and is only licenced to modify the simulator in order to make it Steam compatible. This necessitated updating some of the existing features in the game such as the introduction of Steam multiplayer support to replace the now defunct GameSpy services. Although we have optimised FSX: Steam Edition for use on Steam, in accordance with our licencing agreement with Microsoft we are not at liberty to make significant functionality changes to the simulator.

So there we have it, please take note all you "Commercial Members" - why are you all pushing and promoting this new thing as the future FSX?

Why?

This place was previously a nice and honest place for good advice with regards to our great hobby, now it stinks with how to make these:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:ph34r: 

No, it's public knowledge, straight from the horse's mouth.

So its features/functionality can't changed but anything can be changed just as bugs and performance?

Most of would be more happy with FSX with those two provided.