Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

747 V2 options

Hi chaps,

Sorry if it's a bit taboo to ask 744 V2 questions on the forum - if it is, just delete as I don't want to annoy anyone. I just wanted to know whether we'll have options to swap between CRT or LCD screens like the old 744, and also the choice of integrated standby instrument or the old mark I analogue ones.

I just wanted to know whether we'll have options to swap between CRT or LCD screens like the old 744, and also the choice of integrated standby instrument or the old mark I analogue ones.

This was somewhat of a feature on the original version (the 400 had the CRT and the 400F had the CRT). RSR usually posts a whole bunch of info about the options he feels like talking about as we get up to release, so we'll see at that point.

Apart from that, the beta testers usually release screenshots and videos explaining what hasn't been posted when they're allowed to.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes the real-world 747-8 obviously doesn't have CRT but quite a lot of 744/744F out there are fitted with LCD displays bith on PFD/ND and the MCP so I just wondered whether we'd have the choice. Thanks anyway Kyle look forward to more info from RSR and can't wait for release!

The KLM -F models I know fly with LCD displays.    I think the Air France -400 also have them, although I might be mistaken.   I like the older style displays with the three standby instruments as opposed to one display.   It is quite fresh to fly the stock -400 and then go to the -F model which has the different displays and setup.   I think what we may expect is actually very much the same as with the NGX and the 777, the ability to massively customize our setups with the options that we want!   

Btw, Kyle, just as a matter of interest, are you part of the Beta team for the 747 project?

Kind regards

Btw, Kyle, just as a matter of interest, are you part of the Beta team for the 747 project?

Now that I'm part of the internal team I'll be helping to test all of the projects. RSR has been taunting me with screenshots for quite a while  :P (I don't get to mess with it just yet).

Kyle Rodgers

I wish I knew something about programming I'd love to help you chaps test the new PMDG aircraft.

Programming? You mean I have to learn programming?  :ph34r:  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Programming? You mean I have to learn programming?  :ph34r:  :P

Lol.

Yeah I think it would be more about following instructions and recording the requested data accurately than actually coding things.

Lol.

Yeah I think it would be more about following instructions and recording the requested data accurately than actually coding things.

Depends on the role. What I got brought in for was to mod the forums and answer some of the lower levels of support tickets (to start out, anyway).

While I've been learning more about code to get into that side of things, I've also been using some of my existing skill set for other projects  :ph34r:

...and no, I'm not telling what they are.

...and no, they're not at all related to the aforementioned secret projects.

...and stop calling me Shirley  :P

(For the record: This is me, jetlagged, and on some sort of German medicine package the lady said was similar to DayQuil and NyQuil. I'm hoping it's at least moderately entertaining.)

Kyle Rodgers

...and stop calling me Shirley 

Off topic (sorry!) but this just made my day, thank you.

I'm rather fascinated by the testing process for sim products. i've always lamented never being able to get on one, even beta testing. Mainly because I'd love to know how the process works. But I suppose not being a computer programmer or a 747 type rated pilot, there'd be no room for me. PMDG should put a little section on their website about how they test their products. Seeing RSR in the sim a few months ago was a nice little insight, for example, but would really like to know more about how beta testing works. For example, do you give your testers one major system each and then say 'right, take the PMDG jumbo out for a spin and test every single part of that system's functionality, failures, indications etc.' Or is it more general than that?

John, this topic comes up every month or two... there are recent threads that a search will reveal. Beta testing is the last step before release so by then all the individual pieces have been tested in alpha by a technical team. the beta test is by a PMDG selected team that represents users and the whole package is subject to test. Software testing is a science that people with degrees making good money are involved in for many large companies.  PMDG uses the same basic concepts but scaled down of course to be workable with resource constraints. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm rather fascinated by the testing process for sim products. i've always lamented never being able to get on one, even beta testing. Mainly because I'd love to know how the process works. But I suppose not being a computer programmer or a 747 type rated pilot, there'd be no room for me. PMDG should put a little section on their website about how they test their products. Seeing RSR in the sim a few months ago was a nice little insight, for example, but would really like to know more about how beta testing works. For example, do you give your testers one major system each and then say 'right, take the PMDG jumbo out for a spin and test every single part of that system's functionality, failures, indications etc.' Or is it more general than that?

It doesn't require any ratings to be on the wide Beta Team - just an invitation and a passion, really. Luke, as an example, got selected because he was intensely knowledgeable and passionate about the 777 and he showed it. The invitations are based off of observations in the forum, and some of the people on the team have been around for more than 15 years. In other words, they're carefully thought through and not too common.

As far as the process goes, at the wide beta stage, we're given a decent amount of freedom regarding what we want to do with the plane. Some approach this methodically and realistically, giving the plane a set shakedown. Others - like me - tend to just do really mean things to the plane and beg for its forgiveness later. This can be read as "dumping all of the payload and most of the fuel and going blasting off with the engines on the limiters." Thereafter it's "trying regular flight legs with some failures mixed in."

Kyle Rodgers

(For the record: This is me, jetlagged, and on some sort of German medicine package the lady said was similar to DayQuil and NyQuil. I'm hoping it's at least moderately entertaining.)
So, Shnapps?  :P