Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Coming back after loooong break... lot of changes?

It has been ages to me really - I just moved in to my new apartment and after almost half year break from FSX - coming back to the airfield and I honestly hope this is like with riding a bicycle... ;) Until today I was completely not aware of FSX Steam Edition. Now from a quick read through forums I understand it's the same sim but now edited to be compatible with Steam platform, but also tweaked a bit to make it perform a bit better. 

That's great news that guys working on TS switched to FSX also. But I have some really serious concerns before I will spend 25 bucks for this. 

The full list of my FSX addons consists of well... MANY positions. The full list is on my profile. Is there any place to check for their compatibility with FSX SE? I assume all should be since the core of game is same and nothing change in the code? I will be performing a clean install of FSX itself - Should I also go for the full OS reinstall or its not that necessary? And finally - has anyone made it to fix Windows 8.1 joystick issues? :) 

P.S. Nice to see lot of great contributors are still active in the community!

Hi Mephic

I also have just returned and bought the steam FSX on Disk from down under. Thinking it was the original gold.

I then started to read all about Steam FSX and what I read was not faverable for me. Some things dont work as yet in steam. So my advice is to check out all steam posts on this forum before purchaseing the steam edition. Myself I installed my old FSX disk and updated it and at the moment all is well.

Good luck with your Return.

Rex

Welcome back...This is been hashed out ad nauseum. It's worth the $25 if you want increased stability... especially when most people drop more than that on a good addon. Watch this video where this simmer turns everything to max and lod to 6.5 and flies over the same high res scenery in fsx and fsx steam in split screen. Fsx ooms after 1/3 of the flight ..steam allows completion.FSX /FSX Steam Edition *MAX Settings Side by Side*:

Hello! I really appreciate feedback from both of you. The movie is impressive!!! I know that my 2 favourite as both don't have support yet and that's ASN and 737 NGX but it's not game breaker since I still have to remind myself the basics in a2a 172 Cessna. Therefore it seems this will be again a great experience. Thank you. I hope I did not forget everything. My last doubt is joystick disconnect issues

Hifi and PMDG both have stated that they will have steam versions out here shortly...so you won't have to wait much longer...I'm using my old as2012 until the asn patch is released...

Guys thanks - I was a bit overwhelmed by amount of content about the new Dovetail edition and TBH all your replies are SO MUCH helpful. :) 

Right now I'm trying to recover all my download links to all addons which I don't have on my second HDD (some of them I needed to remove back than). But this time I'm going slowly and I'm more picky regarding addons to ensure stable experience without necessity to tweak. That was the second reason why I stopped flying - more tweaking than having fun... 

Anyway - can't wait to get in my 737 NGX and say "Takeoff" to my 2nd pilot in FS2Crew :) Even my fiancee missed it and she said that probably I will finally stop moaning and start to be relaxed again :) 

Once again - I appreciate your help!