Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Side by side testing FSX vs FSX-SE

Some well produced and informative Vids starting to appear now.

ZORAN

I'm no scientist, but, he had a control group and tested his hypothesis against it....looks like FSX:SE improvements are no BS... (which I already have concluded).. now add dx 10, steve's fixer and reduce lod, and you can pretty much fly any kind of scenery in this new version.

I'm no scientist, but, he had a control group and tested his hypothesis against it....looks like FSX:SE improvements are no BS... (which I already have concluded)..

I quite agree, that video really leaves no room for the naysayers to argue.  I too wanted to believe the best for this new version of our old, tired, worn out, tweaked-to-death, flying on the edge of your seat at approach after a 10 hour flight hoping not to OOM - flightsim....and I think this video should be referenced whenever we see "Oh its just the same sim, just in a different wrapper, no difference at all".

I actually find it both funny and sad that some want to expect the worst about FSX:SE, like bashing it somehow makes us all ashamed we spent FIVE FREAKIN' BUCKS on the thing! (If you got it during the Christmas sale).  My goodness, I spent more on coffee this morning than I did on a new version of my favorite pastime that will give me 1000s of hours of entertainment.

I say if all the naysayers are happy with FSX:MS and want to live in that version, by all means do so...just don't try to convince me that the 2 sims are the same.  I mean, if Pete Dawson is singing its praises and says they are different, who better to believe?

This all comes as I'm getting a killer system (after years of making due with all I could afford) on Friday.  FSX:SE will be a lone install on the new system.  Goodbye FSX:MS, :hi:  you were a great sim, but you've been replaced after years of great enjoyment.  Sending you to the software boneyard :lazy: (in keeping with our aviation theme here, like an old airliner retiring to the desert after its flown its last revenue flight)

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ha...I lived in Tucsom AZ for a few years...The boneyard and the PIMA Air and Space museum (in addition to the beauty of the area...and the Mexican food) are definitely worth the visit!

Interesting to note that although the VAS management appeared to be noticeably improved in SE, the FPS was generally the same, if not slightly better, in MS which contradicts what a lot of SE users have been claiming. One enthusiastic report I read recently claimed to have achieved almost double the FPS in SE with the same setup! I fly VFR/GA exclusively and don't use any of the highly detailed airports and have never experienced any OOMs in MS so can't see what I'd gain at present from switching to SE. However, if you have VAS/OOM problems, SE would seem to be worth a look.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Interesting to note that although the VAS management appeared to be noticeably improved in SE, the FPS was generally the same, if not slightly better, in MS which contradicts what a lot of SE users have been claiming. One enthusiastic report I read recently claimed to have achieved almost double the FPS in SE with the same setup! I fly VFR/GA exclusively and don't use any of the highly detailed airports and have never experienced any OOMs in MS so can't see what I'd gain at present from switching to SE. However, if you have VAS/OOM problems, SE would seem to be worth a look.

Yeah, I never bought the double FPS argument. But I'm sold on the VAS management. No OOM's yet.

I bought FSXSE as a (very cheap) backup to my boxed version. But 2 years of flying A2A and Carenado in Orbx never produced an OOM or CTD, so I'm not sure what benefit I would get out of installing SE vs boxed.

However I am intrigued, and will continue to follow progress, albeit slight and limited. P3D continues to present issues that sometimes make me wish I hadn't completely removed my FSX install.

Not at all. I have closely monitored FSX-SE topics before making the switch and in general the comments have been sensible regarding FPS with many reporting a slight decrease in FPS.

However the overwhelming majority have reported a solid decrease in VAS numbers when fully loaded and that was what drew me in and can happily report no OOMS, not even close on fully loaded ORBX scenery.

Im my case it just so happens there is also a FPS increase but nothing like you quoted 

ZORAN

This is pretty big news.  From what I've seen with some experiments in MS FSX, the issue isn't the 4Gig limit so much as the fact that it seems to be wasting so much of it...hanging on to scenery it loaded and left 40 miles back.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison between FSX:SE and P3D. I know a lot of users have reported that P3D give higher frames but jumps around more when FSX:SE seems to be smoother. Be an interesting video/experiment to run.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison between FSX:SE and P3D.

You'll never get the settings to match up close enough.