Sign in to follow this  
TommyK154

Real weather options?

At this point the only thing holding me back from P3D is the weather. Last I checked (around v2.2ish) there is no option to download real world weather into the game. I know I can use Active Sky Next and REX, but do I have any other options, like anything free, to get real weather in P3D? I'm not a fan of making my own weather and I don't want to fly in perfect weather all the time, that's why I love having real weather as an option like FSX.

Asn is worth every penny.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I just want to point out that the "real weather" feature from FSX is defunct as far as I know. Anyway, I'm pretty sure FSXWX (http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/home.htm) also works in P3D. It's great and is pretty close to ASN. I've seen a comparison video on YouTube and they're pretty similar. But if you can, I would suggest getting ASN, or even REX Essentials+OD if you don't want too much of an FPS impact.

Active Sky or bust. I have all the weather programs to date and I use it all the time. The others are uninstalled now. I think it boils down to opinion. I have wasted many dollars on junk that just takes up space on my hard drive now. The bottom line is we want it as close to real as we can get. From scenery, to weather, and don't forget the aircraft. I think the majority of us take this way more serious than just a game. The ones of us left are looking for the experience without leaving the ground. I use ASN only because of simplicity, you can tune to three freqs and in get inflight weather. I guess it is just plain simple. I use Rex for clouds and textures only. Do a little research before deciding and I think you will like what you get. Just my opinion but I fly more in P3D now than FSX.

Active Sky or bust.

FSGRW or bust. You're right ... it's a matter of opinion.  I just want a weather program. No fancy radars or textures or fancy, confusing GUI.

The OP doesn't state what type of flying they indulge in but if it's tubeliners the excellent flight planning software PFPX includes a 12 month sub to NOAA downloaded real weather.  Other than that Google is your friend.

Add OPUS, Freeware: FSrealWX

I'd be glad if we P3D'ers would have equally much choices with native AI traffic addons.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I had the same quandary. I was waiting for REX weather direct but the suggestion of release pre 2015 never materialised. I couldn't wait any longer as I wanted real weather so I brought ASN. I just use the default settings and it works a treat. How good it is against others I will never know and in any case ignorance is bliss. Main thing is the weather is dynamic and I can forget about it.

Any real weather addon has to be worth it.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722