Is the GTX 970 noisy running FSX?

Noisier than, say, the GTX 670?

Has anyone experienced the dreaded coil whine?

Which flavor GTX are you referring to? From my research, the Asus STRIX 970 and 980 seems to have a lot of problems with coil whine. I had an MSI 970 which was replaced by a EVGA 980 and both of them were/are very quiet.

My 970 GTX MSI Gaming 4G is silent under most conditions. Early releases were complaining about a high pitch coil whine, but my card is so far silent.

supporter.jpg

My Asus 970 Strix doesn't make a sound for the most part. The fan's don't turn on until over 65c, which isn't very often at all and there's no coil whine what so ever.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I moved from a GTX670 3gb (3 fans) to an Asus strix 4gb (2 fans)

There was a noticable reduction in noise, actually I have yet to hear the fans on my 970 strix when I think about it! temps are also fine...

Well chuffed with this strix card so far :)

Rgds, Shaun

My Asus 970 Strix doesn't make a sound for the most part. The fan's don't turn on until over 65c, which isn't very often at all and there's no coil whine what so ever.

+1 it is a brilliant card very very quite and powerfull

peter

No noise on my Asus 970, then again, I've only had it for about a month.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

My 980 is silent way quiter than my old 660TI I gave my little cousin. Way faster too lol

I think the coil wine was related to super high FPS(ie above 100)which is something we wont see in FSX hahaha. I recommend an MSI card they are about the best available for a good price!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi load on the gpu the coils on power phases can make some noise Its more common on 970 than 980 , normaly more phases on 980 common 10 phases.

Nothing to do with the fans.

The name coilwine can be missleading you probaly think of the fans coils.

Even in BF4 with over 120fps, I can barely even hear the fans and no coil whine. Running full out and overclocked well past any out of the box cards, it barely gets over 64c with the fans at 50%.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS