Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Good enough for P3D2?

Hi,

I'm just in the process of changing over from an ATI card (HD 7850 2GB) to a nVidia card (GTX 670 2GB).

I last tried P3D2 in Autumn last year (purchased a 1 month dev license), and it didn't run well at all with my system and the ATI card.

I'm looking for advice on whether people think this system would have a chance at running P3D2 now, with half decent AA/AF ;-

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz (can't be OC'd), GTX 670 2GB, 8GB RAM DDR3, Win 7 64bit

I'm only looking for medium settings overall but perhaps with some basic cockpit shadowing.  Not bothered about terrain shadowing at all.

Do I stand a chance with the above system?

Thanks in advance for your views.

Don't you want at least an 4GB video card  and a I5 4670k instead ?  I think you can tweak it to run P3D with that configuration but I won't be that great. I would save up a little more and get a beefier pc. Your investment would last longer.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz (can't be OC'd), GTX 670 2GB, 8GB RAM DDR3, Win 7 64bit

I am really happy with my set up if you just take a look at it and by the way the CPU you are I have, as you see, was made to be over clocked.

Welcome to P 3-D world!

Chaz

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi,

my configuration is not far different and I can run P3D2 just fine. The only difference is my graphics adapter being a GTX760 / 4 GB now. However, I had it running using a GTX560Ti 2 MB for some time  before, and even this one worked. 

Actually, I use pretty (say, too) high settings and 4xSGSS and even this can be done. Framerate goes down to 20 and sometimes below under very demanding situations (like KSFO using FB + ORBX scenery + UT2 AI traffic), but under "normal" situations it's around 30 which I consider enough. 

However, I should note, I only fly GA planes (C172) and in more or less nice weather most of the time. Plus, I have a hardware panel, thus I use the (34") screen for scenery display exclusively, neither 2D nor 3D panel.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz (can't be OC'd)

Why can't your 2600K be overclocked ? that is exactly what the K series chips are designed for.

If it is your MB limiting you than just buy a better one, your 2600K will run 4.4Ghz easily, possibly more with really good cooling.

My 2500K runs 4.6Ghz without any fuss

Don't you want at least an 4GB video card  and a I5 4670k instead ?  I think you can tweak it to run P3D with that configuration but I won't be that great. I would save up a little more and get a beefier pc. Your investment would last longer.

That's not an option for me.  No disrespect and I know you're just being helpful with good advice, but some people don't have open ended budgets for simming.    I was only able to change from my pesky HD7850 2GB, to the GTX670 because a friend was selling it and I got 'mates rates'.   :smile:    It was very cheap.

Hence, I'm not so much wondering the best specs or equipment type for P3D2, just whether my spec in the OP would stand much of a chance with it.

Cheers.

by the way the CPU you are I have, as you see, was made to be over clocked.

Why can't your 2600K be overclocked ?

Don't start me off on that one!! :smile:   It is a pre-built, mass assembled PC and (as commonly happens), they use MOBOs that have overclocking physically locked out. There is no access whatsoever to clock values, speeds, temps, etc, etc, in the BIOS.  I looked into it many, many times when I first got the machine.  Some claimed 'software overclocking' was an option, but nothing worked.     There are many MOBOs out there that cannot be OC'd, typically in machines like Dell, HP, etc.

It's to do with warranty liabilities and preserving 'stock operation'.

That's why I said can't be OC'd, and not won't be OC'd.   :wink:

You should do fine with the proper settings. Faster cpu, better GPU, all that stuff haelps but if it's not in the cards - what you have outlined will give you decent results as long as you don't try to slam the sliders to the max.

If there comes a time when you have a crack in the budget - go for a 4K minimum GPU. If you were to update the CPU you would easily overpower that card, so any upgrades should be GPU.

Enjoy!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You should do fine with the proper settings. Faster cpu, better GPU, all that stuff haelps but if it's not in the cards - what you have outlined will give you decent results as long as you don't try to slam the sliders to the max.

If there comes a time when you have a crack in the budget - go for a 4K minimum GPU. If you were to update the CPU you would easily overpower that card, so any upgrades should be GPU.

Enjoy!

Vic

Thank you!

That's why I said can't be OC'd, and not won't be OC'd.   :wink:

Totally understand.. beside getting out of the AMD game (that alone can be worth it),  I am not sure if you will get a real difference in terms of performance between the 2 cards. I also uncertain if the GTX 670 allows you to use shadow play. I almost bought a GTX 970 myself this weekend as I grew tired of my R290x but I came back to my senses and came back to reality. Whatever road you have chosen, I really hope it works out for you.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quoted material.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Totally understand.. beside getting out of the AMD game (that alone can be worth it),  I am not sure if you will get a real difference in terms of performance between the 2 cards. I also uncertain if the GTX 670 allows you to use shadow play. I almost bought a GTX 970 myself this weekend as I grew tired of my R290x but I came back to my senses and came back to reality. Whatever road you have chosen, I really hope it works out for you.

Thanks mate. :smile:  - useful insight.  I think for hte sake of $10 I'll try another month's license and see how it goes.   Worth a try!

I

I was using a superclocked 670 for P3D just fine.  However, don't expect to be able to use SGSS in cloudy or overcast conditions.  You should be able to ramp up most of the "stock" graphical settings though and enjoy medium/medium high autogen and terrain settings with that CPU/GPU combo.

Ryan

I was using a superclocked 670 for P3D just fine.  However, don't expect to be able to use SGSS in cloudy or overcast conditions.  You should be able to ramp up most of the "stock" graphical settings though and enjoy medium/medium high autogen and terrain settings with that CPU/GPU combo.

Thanks.

Actually I've not found the need to use the AA Transparency settings (SGSS) with the 670.  Using 4x4 Supersampling gives me a superb smooth result, so I've not been inclined to try out SGSS yet.  (Perhaps this will save me some headroom with P3D2).  

I know you discussed it above but you could get a new motherboard to overclock that CPU.  Those Sandy Bridge CPUs were beast overclockers and it's a shame to see all that free power go to waste.  Decent motherboards are cheap compared to other components.  It's obviously the most time consuming component to change since you have to essentially rebuild the computer but I'm just saying...it's worth a thought.

Ryan

Thanks.

Actually I've not found the need to use the AA Transparency settings (SGSS) with the 670.  Using 4x4 Supersampling gives me a superb smooth result, so I've not been inclined to try out SGSS yet.  (Perhaps this will save me some headroom with P3D2).  Crai

Craig,

I have a 4790K with a GTX660Ti....settings at medium, specially weather at 80nm and also medium cloud density, I get very good stutter free performance unless the sky is severely overcast. Clouds are rendered by the Graphics card in P3D so the better the card, the better performance you will get. Aside from that, it runs fine.

I know you discussed it above but you could get a new motherboard to overclock that CPU.  Those Sandy Bridge CPUs were beast overclockers and it's a shame to see all that free power go to waste.  Decent motherboards are cheap compared to other components.  It's obviously the most time consuming component to change since you have to essentially rebuild the computer but I'm just saying...it's worth a thought.

Thanks - I've never changed a MOBO before (only the components that plug in to it) but I will definitely look at this because you're right, it is criminal that this CPU is not OC'd! :smile:

I have a 4790K with a GTX660Ti....settings at medium, specially weather at 80nm and also medium cloud density, I get very good stutter free performance unless the sky is severely overcast. Clouds are rendered by the Graphics card in P3D so the better the card, the better performance you will get. Aside from that, it runs fine.

Cheers for that Will.  Those are very similar settings levels to what I go for.