Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Good enough for P3D2?

You said your budget is really limited, so if you buy another mobo in order to overclock your chip, just be aware that you are going to run into cooling issues that you will have to deal with, and that means more money than just the motherboard itself.

My old, now retired, rig has a i7-930@3.8, a GTX670 2GB and 6GB 1600MHz RAM.

As long as I didn't go bananas with SGSS in Nvidia Inspector, it ran P3D2 quite well at medium settings (including shadows).

You said your budget is really limited, so if you buy another mobo in order to overclock your chip, just be aware that you are going to run into cooling issues that you will have to deal with, and that means more money than just the motherboard itself.

Ok good point, thanks.   Presumably there's a conservative amount of CPU clocking that could be done on the MOBO that wouldn't require extra cooling ?

For example, my current 2600k CPU clock runs at 3.4Ghz; so perhaps I could take it up to 3.8 and not need to look at additional cooling factors?

Cheers.

For example, my current 2600k CPU clock runs at 3.4Ghz; so perhaps I could take it up to 3.8 and not need to look at additional cooling factors?

That is correct.  The "turbo" feature on motherboards will overclock that CPU to 3.8 or 4.0 with the push of a button using stock voltages.  The heat only really becomes a factor once you start increasing your vcore.

Ryan

Your CPU...

with (see my specs)

AND recently installed

...just sayin..

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Your CPU...

with (see my specs)

AND recently installed 

< VIDEO SNIPPED >

...just sayin..

Chas

Interesting video Chas...... and I learned that the US in the biggest importer of Mexican avacados in the world (the radio in the background :smile: ).

So after replacing the MOBO, does one have to reinstall the OS ?

Thanks.

Interesting video Chas...... and I learned that the US in the biggest importer of Mexican avacados in the world (the radio in the background :smile: ).

So after replacing the MOBO, does one have to reinstall the OS ?

Thanks.

After reviewing the video on YouTube I came back here to delete it because the only thing our topic founder needed to know was the answers which were;

1. does one have to reinstall the OS ? Nope..everything stays the same.

2. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus...upgrade to the already existing rig as seen in my profile.

The new cooler took care of all my overheating and CPU throttling problems when Overclocking. I recommend the Mobo I have wholeheartedly!

Make sure you buy from now on cases that have openings in the back so that you can attach the backplane of a super cooler like the one above from behind, and dont have to remove the motherboard.

Mine didn't, so I had to remove the mobo but as you can see from the filth and disarray of my wiring that needed doing anyway.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2