Sign in to follow this  
Aviators

Prepar3D v2.5 Development Update

Excuse my idiocy but why do so many folks clamor for a transparent ATC window? I must've missed something...

Don't you think the current ATC window that blocks so much of your view is annoying? A transparent ATC window has been promised since 1.3 and we still don't have it.

I generally use ProATC X now.  So the window transparency isnot that big of a deal for me.  When I use the built-in ATC, I just keep the window on another monitor.  I'd rather that they would take the time and improve the ATC logic a bit.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

What puzzles me is why the ATC window was released as opaque in the first place. It was transparent in FSX, so why change it? Or has the ATC window in ESP always been opaque?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What puzzles me is why the ATC window was released as opaque in the first place. It was transparent in FSX, so why change it? Or has the ATC window in ESP always been opaque?

Good question. If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere it was made opaque for performance reasons. It is ugly, though.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Cheers...

Rob,

Thanks for forwarding many of the issues raised here to Lockheed's attention. It would appear that the ground scenery shadow issue is being looked into AND the extrusion bridge snafu might also be fixed up as well.

Thank you also to those who brought it to Rob's attention and provided additional details on how/when such issues might be taking place.

I'm looking forward to 2.5 at this point and have no qualms about knocking off my entire installation to bring 2.5 in. (*I'm horsing around with FSX:SE right now, and I immediately started to miss the cloud shadows and more rich visual experience P3D brings to the table.)

Thanks to all,

-Greg

Guest tymk

It does appear LM are moving configuration items around (SimObject for example now has it's own .cfg and isn't part of the Prepar3d.cfg, effects folder shaderHSLS.cfg and more) and making for a more modular future where they can update independently of 3rd party ... however, it's a two way street, 3rd party will have build their products to be less version dependent also ... but this seems to be the direction LM are moving and it'll benefit 3rd party also but they will need to make some adjustments.

Has this caused any issues with third-party product installation during your testing? In other words, will updated versions of any of the major add-ons be required for re-installation in 2.5?

Tym

They said something about the transparent ATC window not being compatible with Windows XP, and that it would not be a problem with Vista and 7. Since 2.x is not compatible with XP anyway, I have no idea why they're not bringing it back.

EDIT: Complete explanation: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/transparent-atc-window/#post-28022

I assume you mean SimObjects shadows?  I'm not seeing that problem in any of my aircraft with SimObjects cast/receive unchecked I still see VC shadows.  Is there a specific aircraft this is happening with?

Hello Rob,

thanks for the response.

Have a look here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454659-lost-my-cockpit-shadows/

I have only cockpit shadows, when I set "object shadows" (the slider) at least at the lowest stage,

This is with all addons, standard and 3rd party and for 100% reproduceable

When I set the "object shadows" slider to zero, the VC shadows are gone.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, will updated versions of any of the major add-ons be required for re-installation in 2.5?

Any 3rd party product that ties themselves to P3D versions will need to be updated (same as before) ... Orbx Object Flow, FSUIPC, maybe Virtuali (haven't enabled that yet).  Not all product are tied to versions, you'll have to check with the vendor.

As far as ATC window transparency ... by accident when I was using one of my A2A products, setting their configuration window transparency also affects the transparency of the ATC window -- probably not intended.  Now I have not tested this in a while (many versions ago 2.1 I think) so I don't know if that still operates this way.  But if we're getting down to requests for ATC window transparency, then I'd consider that good progress.

Has this caused any issues with third-party product installation during your testing?

I only have one product where SimObject.cfg will be an issue and it's not a product designed for P3D ... Ultimate Traffic 2 requires a SimObjects entry in the Prepar3d.cfg ... on a re-install, this will have to be put in the SimObject.cfg.  So any existing product adding SimObject entries will need to be adjusted.  There are also other developer related changes that I need to explore and see how they are impacted and/or if they are impacted, specifically Windows permissions.

If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere it was made opaque for performance reasons.

That would make sense, transparency requires pixel compares from a foreground window with a background window -- not too bad if the background window is static, but when it'a rendered window in real time I can see the performance impact there.  If you notice Windows 8.x also hides the Aero transparency look and feel because it does have a performance penalty.

Cheers, Rob.

When I set the "object shadows" slider to zero, the VC shadows are gone

I believe this is by design ... if you set this value to Zero you should not get any shadows listed under Object Type regardless of checked or unchecked ... as you are defining the shadow distance to 0.  

But I'll test the scenario you listed in your link to see if I can replicate.

FYI, getting a new build today with many more fixes and will test tonight.

Cheers, Rob.

I believe this is by design ..

would be sad as it was definitely not the case in 2.3

thanks for your great work for the community!!!!

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

They said something about the transparent ATC window not being compatible with Windows XP

Was it not compatible with XP in FSX??? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Don't you think the current ATC window that blocks so much of your view is annoying? A transparent ATC window has been promised since 1.3 and we still don't have it.

I followed Chaotic's link above, and in November 2013, LM said this:

"Hopefully this will be enabled in a point release."

That's far from a promise.

Was it not compatible with XP in FSX??? :huh:

Sorry about that, I didn't remember what Beau said well. I edited my post with the link where he says the transparent ATC window actually caused a big performance hit in Windows XP and 7 with Aero disabled (I don't remember anything like that in FSX though).

Guest tymk

I only have one product where SimObject.cfg will be an issue and it's not a product designed for P3D ... Ultimate Traffic 2 requires a SimObjects entry in the Prepar3d.cfg ... on a re-install, this will have to be put in the SimObject.cfg. So any existing product adding SimObject entries will need to be adjusted. There are also other developer related changes that I need to explore and see how they are impacted and/or if they are impacted, specifically Windows permissions.

Thanks, now I get a clear idea... I wasn't sure if this only affected add-ons that need to write to the main .cfg or others as well. Looks like there's nothing to worry about.. :wink:

Tym

Fixed an issue that would prevent effects from visually displaying if the effect was at a low level of detail distance

Hi Rob, could you please confirm if this has any bearing on the invisible AI traffic strobe lights?

Sorry if I missed it somewhere else in the thread...