Sign in to follow this  
Aviators

Prepar3D v2.5 Development Update

Hi Rob, could you please confirm if this has any bearing on the invisible AI traffic strobe lights

Not sure what you mean, the AI traffic I've encountered have working strobe lights?  I have several video's showing working strobes ... unless I'm not understanding you correctly ... is there a specific circumstance where they don't?

Cheers, Rob.

AI planes do not have working strobe and navigation lights in my version of P3D, Rob.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

May not be true in this case but I've found that a LOT of light problems come from the video driver and the settings in Nvidia control panel. A while back I had large blocks of light blinking at night - ultimately changed an anisotropic setting and all was well. Several other light related problems fixed with a driver change.

I see strobes on AI too. I think we can assume that the P3D's are the same, so you might start looking at drivers and settings.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Not sure what you mean, the AI traffic I've encountered have working strobe lights? I have several video's showing working strobes ... unless I'm not understanding you correctly ... is there a specific circumstance where they don't?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, I've had this issue with both WoAI and MyTraffic. I don't get any visible strobe effects on AI aircraft unless I'm right up next to it (the effects are still quite subdued). I'd say the effects disappear when I'm 50-100m away, the result being that AI strobe lights are all but invisible most of time. It's a lonely place at night...!  

Just wanted to add that the MyTraffic dev also confirmed this issue on his forum - he alluded to "longer tracking of visual elements".

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/77753-prepar3d-night-lights/

May not be true in this case but I've found that a LOT of light problems come from the video driver and the settings in Nvidia control panel. A while back I had large blocks of light blinking at night - ultimately changed an anisotropic setting and all was well. Several other light related problems fixed with a driver change.

I see strobes on AI too. I think we can assume that the P3D's are the same, so you might start looking at drivers and settings.

Vic

Hey Vic, I've tested with with/without DSR, FXAA and various AF settings (I'm currently running 8X in-sim). I also don't use Nvidia Inspector. Could you please clarify what anisotropic setting you changed in the control panel? 

From what I've read in the P3D forums, all Nvidia drivers after 337.88 have some problems with lights in the sim. Might be worth it to try and downgrade unless your GPU is too new to work with those older drivers.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

For those of you with Strobe light issues, what GPU and driver version are you using?

Also, be aware that if you revert back to an older driver using nVidia's uninstall/re-install process, you will be left with component version mismatches.  This caused some strange issues for me and caught me out ... so per other's recommendation I used the DDU tool to remove the nVidia driver via safe mode ... tool here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html .

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Vic, I've tested with with/without DSR, FXAA and various AF settings (I'm currently running 8X in-sim). I also don't use Nvidia Inspector. Could you please clarify what anisotropic setting you changed in the control panel?

There's a link to my current settings in the SLI thread here. IIRC, I changed it to application controlled at 16x - I had previously used enhance application.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am using the 337.88 drivers with a 2GB GeForce GTX 770.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest tymk

I don't get any visible strobe effects on AI aircraft unless I'm right up next to it (the effects are still quite subdued). I'd say the effects disappear when I'm 50-100m away, the result being that AI strobe lights are all but invisible most of time. It's a lonely place at night...!

I have the same issue. The strobes are there, but very 'anemic', so they tend to get completely overpowered by nav lights even at short distances, plus they're virtually invisible from further away. I remember LM did some experimenting with effect sizes in the recent point releases, and it seems that the strobe effect was not made consistent with other effects. A quick'n'dirty fix is to edit fx_strobe.fx in the effects folder (make a backup first) and double the values in all "X Scale=x.xx, x.xx" and "Y Scale=x.xx, x.xx" lines.

Tym

I avoid "fresh installs" whenever I can, now that I know that LM only allows a certain number of them.  Once the limit is reached, you have to get with them and get their blessing to re-install P3D, probably prove to them you paid for it, yada, yada.  I don't need the hassle.

1. I emailed just before Christmas to reset one of my P3D licences from an old computer that no longer functions. The response was very professional...and took eight minutes! Nothing was reuired other than a 1-2 line email.

2. Under normal circumstances, just uninstall via windows and your licence will then be automatically reset. Easy!

I'm looking forward to 2.5 at this point and have no qualms about knocking off my entire installation to bring 2.5 in. (*I'm horsing around with FSX:SE right now, and I immediately started to miss the cloud shadows and more rich visual experience P3D brings to the table.)

Thanks to all,

-Greg

P3D doesn't look much different to FSX - until you go back to FSX! I didn the same as you, reinstalled FSX recently in the form of FSX SE. There's some planes I'd like to fly again in FSX, but to be honest I just don't enjoy that sim any more due to the lesser-uality visuals.

Also, I noted a few comments earlier about having to reinstall photoscenery and how difficult this is. I have quite a bit of photoscenery (I think I have all the commercially available photoscenery apart from France VFR, some Vero FS and two megascenery regions (Germany+UK). I just bought a new 4TB drive just for photoscenery and it is almost full already!

Photoscenery is the easiest thing in the world to 'reinstall' bewteen updates. When performing the original install, always put a region in its own folder, then add manually via the scenery library. You need to only activate specific folders of photoscenery anyway as you fly it otherwise load times become extreme (and I have the photoscenery that I commonly use on a 1TB SSD).

This means that the photoscenery that you installed in FSX 5 years ago is still fully usable in P3D v1/v2/vX.

The additions that I use with photoscenery - such as Aerosoft night environment, Open VFR, mesh - are also all added and rmeoved in the same way so no need for reinstall.

That means that the only things that need to be reinstalled with a full update like v2.5 are the planes, Orbx and a couple of other random addons such as UTX.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

CB, the link doesn't seem to work.

The link works very well for me.

Spirit

CB, the link doesn't seem to work.

I suppose you have to be registered with the ORBX forum.

Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11