Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Unable at this time

So, I finally decided to give VoxATC a try.  Going through the Kansas City tutorial, followed all the instructions to a T...even contacted Radio to open flight plan.  I returned to tower, told them I was back on frequency, requested takeoff and got "Unable at this time."  Tried various things including changing frequency (as per the manual instructions), came back..."Unable at this time."  All the things that can go wrong with a flight in FSX and now I seem to be in a deadlock with ATC.  I requested "contact ground" and it told me to
"backtrack the ramp"  (I have two jetliners behind me so even that's not going to work).  None of this makes sense.  Is there any solution to this?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I restarted the sim and restarted the flight (Ctrl-E this time) and did not have a problem the second time...have no idea why it didn't work the first time.  Have to say, it's disconcerting...if you're sitting right next to the runway and there's no way to make the program recognize the most simple and obvious thing you want.  Seems like there'd be some sort of override when the software gets lost or confused.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

In my experience also Vox can become confused from time to time.

Sometime disabling and restarting vox is sufficient but its annoying on the ground as he restart the communication sequence from the beginning.

In flight, it can also become confused. I'm not sure why but my impression is that when you change frequencies too fast, the system doesn't cope ( just my guess). He doesn't seem to like either when I miss a frequency change i.e. Forgetting when high workload. This happens from timr to time because i generally dont look at voxatc screen to do more like in real life.

When VOX seems confused or not responsive, I try the following in sequence:

Change frequency back to the previous and wait about 30 sec before switching back. This sometimes get me back on track.

Or disable and enable again which work well except in descent where it will instruct to climb back to flight plan altitude. I ask lower altitude and it generally bring things ok.

Maybe its just my installation.... I would. Like to know if others also experience those erratic behavior.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Or disable and enable again which work well except in descent where it will instruct to climb back to flight plan altitude. I ask lower altitude and it generally bring things ok.

How do you disable and enable it again?  Total noob at this app.

Gregg Seipp

I did some googling and found this, somewhat, dated thread...pretty humorous...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/347738-unable-at-this-time/

Ah, yes...we have come full circle.  But it has some helpful tips so, yes, there's some practical advice. 

In terms of the second, successful flight, it was quite refreshing and had a feeling of flying with real ATC and other folks...even if it was only Microsoft Anna :Thinking: .  Anybody have any good tips for adding more voices?  Any free ones out there?  In terms of procedures, traffic was actually given for reasonable conflicts in reasonable time.  Traffic pattern entry was pretty reasonable.  I have no idea what to do when it tells me to taxi to gate G15.  More reading may be in order.

Any other good tips?

Gregg Seipp

Anybody have any good tips for adding more voices?

You can get free VoxPop voices from VOXATC. In addition (I assume you are on the trial version right now) if you decide to go with VOXATC and go payware, you can get a deal on "Mike & Crystal" AT&T TTS voices from Nextup. I think they are still less than $40 for the pair.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You can get free VoxPop voices from VOXATC. In addition (I assume you are on the trial version right now) if you decide to go with VOXATC and go payware, you can get a deal on "Mike & Crystal" AT&T TTS voices from Nextup. I think they are still less than $40 for the pair.

Thanks!  What's your experience with VoxATC?  Good?

Also, do you have to have an airplane with a FMS in order to use SIDs/STARs?  I typically fly GA and most of them have a GNS or GTN.

• Flight1 Mustang - G1000
  • Turbine Duke - GTN
  • PA-46 Malibu Mirage - GNS

Real world and in the sim, these planes do recognize SIDs/STARs and the Mustang does have Navigraph data.  The others have Garmin data.

Gregg Seipp

Gregg, to disable and reenable, just push the red button on vox window....

Pierre

Gregg, to disable and reenable, just push the red button on vox window....

Oh...duh...thank you. 

Also, I tried installing the VoxPop server and voices but it crashes immediately when I start the server.  I'm running Windows 7.  I installed the voices but only Anna is working.  Any ideas?

Gregg Seipp

Dear lord, doing the IFR tutorial.  It goes like this...

• International Ground Piper 51D request clearance
  • they read me clearance
  • Switch to ground...International Ground Piper 51D ready for taxi
  • P51D hold position
  • reset
  • International Ground Piper 51D ready for taxi
  • Last aircraft calling ground say again.
  • International Ground Piper 51D ready for taxi
  • Last aircraft calling ground say again.
  • International Ground Piper 51D
  • P51D go ahead
  • Piper 51D ready for taxi
  • Last aircraft say again
  • Piper 51D ready for taxi with clearance
  • P51D cleared to yada yada
  • readback
  • they read the clearance again
  • readback
  • they read it again
  • readback
  • readback correct
  • P51D request taxi
  • P51D taxi to runway 1R via...
  • readback
  • they give me taxi instructions again
  • readback
  • they give me taxi instructions again
  • readback
  • no response
  • readback
  • no response
  • I taxi anyway...get out to runway 19L and wait then ask to cross
  • last aircraft say again
  • reset
  • P51D request taxi
  • last aircraft say again
  • P51D request taxi with clearance
  • they give me taxi instructions...then clear me to cross.  I get to the runway
  • P51D ready for takeoff
  • P51D hold position
  • reset
  • P51D ready for takeoff
  • P51D cleared for takeoff (note...no departure instructions)
  • I takeoff
  • P51D contact departure
  • I switch to departure
  • Kansas City Departure, P51D with you climbing through 3800 for 5000
  • Kansas City Departure, P51D with you climbing through 4000 for 5000
  • Kansas City Departure P51D
  • Last aicraft say again
  • Departure P51D
  • reset...try them all again.
  • on and on.  Finallly,....
  • P51D, International Tower, roger.

*Pause.* Guh!

Gregg Seipp

Seems abnormal, did you use the voice trainer? Maybe he cannot identify what you say. I have a french accent and it took me two session of training vox before he got me right...

Pierre

Seems abnormal, did you use the voice trainer? Maybe he cannot identify what you say. I have a french accent and it took me two session of training vox before he got me right...

Glad to hear it's abnormal!  I'll give the training a try.  I'm on a second attempt of the flight and it's going well...so far :)  BTW, if they don't give you departure instructions, then you just fly your route?  They didn't and I made the assumption that they wanted me runway heading but after 15 miles I decided to turn onto my route and got no complaint.

Gregg Seipp

Oh...duh...thank you. 

Also, I tried installing the VoxPop server and voices but it crashes immediately when I start the server.  I'm running Windows 7.  I installed the voices but only Anna is working.  Any ideas?

Gregg, just install the VoxPop server and voices after which, do not touch VoxPop server, it's just there to run the voices I believe. Just install and forget about. Another little tip for those that experience long waits at VoxATC initialization is something I do as a matter of habit now, after booting up my PC and before starting my flying for the day, I just open the VOX voice configurator and run each (VoxPop) voice.

Rick Hobbs

Gregg, just install the VoxPop server and voices after which, do not touch VoxPop server, it's just there to run the voices I believe. Just install and forget about. Another little tip for those that experience long waits at VoxATC initialization is something I do as a matter of habit now, after booting up my PC and before starting my flying for the day, I just open the VOX voice configurator and run each (VoxPop) voice.

I tried that but when I ran VOXATC only Anna said "test" so I assumed it was mucked.  Which voices did you install with the voice configurator?

Gregg Seipp

When you opened the VOXATC voice configurator did you see all of your VOXPOP voices there?

Rick Hobbs