Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 to be a FREE upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users

I kind of figured they would do this and make money in the store that comes with it. I beta tested it and their is nothing wrong with it. Performed well and has that start menu back in place. 

Matthew Kane

You can also view the latest news directly from the Window blog: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/?OCID=ANNOUNCEMENTS_SOC_FB_ORGANIC_W10BLOG&linkId=11873473

There's some rather impressive stuff in Microsoft's/Windows's future by the looks of it. Exciting times! HoloLens looks especially interesting.

Brandon Filer

I hope there's some intrepid gamers out there willing to test drive WIN10 for us. After the WIN8/8.1 fiasco, there's no telling what WIN10 will do to FSX, Steam, P3D, and all the associated add-ons which tap into WIN services. With release next week, perhaps it's time for AVSIM to spin up the WIN10 Forum. And also check how AVSIM site functionality holds up under Spartan, the new web browser replacing IE. Hope springs eternal that most everything will go swimmingly!

When I tested it in the first beta FSX and other stuff performed extremely well but this was because Windows10 at that time was a 4gb installer. The final release will have a lot more fat on it.

Matthew Kane

. With release next week, perhaps it's time for AVSIM to spin up the WIN10 Forum.

Wouldn't it be better for them to just make one subforum, and use tags for different posts (kinda like FSX forum with tags for either FSX SE or FSX original)?

It makes sense,

Microsoft seem to have learned that it is difficult to move users from a platform that works great (XP) and see this as a way to not have the same thing happen with Win7 (which also works great)

Hopefully the old rule that every other Windows version is a good one holds true with Windows 10

The bottom line for me is - why should I go to Win10?  What makes it worthwhile?  What does it offer that I don't already have?  I couldn't care less about mobile apps from MS, I'm already on Android on multiple devices.  Seems to me that they are late to the party.

DJ

As above.  I have everything FS wise running nicely in Win 7.  Why on earth would I want to mess with that?  But an interesting post from the OP all the same.  Thanks.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

When I tested it in the first beta FSX and other stuff performed extremely well but this was because Windows10 at that time was a 4gb installer. The final release will have a lot more fat on it.

Well, you have a year to get the free upgrade from W7...so, I think that I will sit in the bush..and see how it goes per flight sim interests.  It sounds great...and if there are no 'this does not work..or that won't fire up' issues, I'll give it a go. I'm glad that Microsoft is still around...and producing. I have to tell you though...I still like XP...and think it was the best edition of Windows ever. It worked...and was not bloated to death.  No wonder they had to kill the sucker off.....

I have read that DX12 will not be supported on W7...that's a pretty big reason for gamers and potentially (down the line) for P3D's to upgrade.

Ryan

The bottom line for me is - why should I go to Win10?  What makes it worthwhile?  What does it offer that I don't already have?  I couldn't care less about mobile apps from MS, I'm already on Android on multiple devices.  Seems to me that they are late to the party.

DJ

As above.  I have everything FS wise running nicely in Win 7.  Why on earth would I want to mess with that?  But an interesting post from the OP all the same.  Thanks.

All you're doing by staying back is making it harder for us addon and software developers to move forward. As the operating system matures, new development techniques and such make for better products (not just in the flight sim world, but in the software world as a whole). Older versions of Windows will slowly hold things back over time if people don't upgrade. One unified platform makes relying on dependencies (.NET, Visual C++ Redistributables, DirectX, and even something simple like fonts) so much easier. This is one reason that Windows XP is not supported by many anymore.

Brandon Filer

All you're doing by staying back is making it harder for us addon and software developers to move forward. As the operating system matures, new development techniques and such make for better products (not just in the flight sim world, but in the software world as a whole). Older versions of Windows will slowly hold things back over time if people don't upgrade. One unified platform makes relying on dependencies (.NET, Visual C++ Redistributables, DirectX, and even something simple like fonts) so much easier. This is one reason that Windows XP is not supported by many anymore.

I'm so sorry Brandon - I don't feel that it's my duty to make life easy for add-on and software devs by moving to a new operating system every time MS or any other core system developer feels moved to attempt to exploit new marketing directions.  I spent 40+ years as a software and systems developer in the MS and UNIX world and don't really give a hoot how 'difficult' things are for developers - I know better.  If developers want my coin they will develop to my particular desires and habits and I will buy or not as the spirit moves me - if they do not, then we can clearly do without each other.

DJ

All you're doing by staying back is making it harder for us addon and software developers to move forward.

That is a very good point.

W10 is way too ugly for me to spend money on, but for free and as a dual boot to run my sim on then why not.

I will certainly give it a go.