Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 to be a FREE upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users

Though I don't think W10 is ugly (I like the modern UI), I can personally attest to Brandon's comment about holding developers back. There are so many cool, new, integrated features in the newer OS's that we have to ignore due to backward compatibility. I can't wait to play around with some of these things once we get past the age of the aero desktop.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

I can't wait to play around with some of these things once we get past the age of the aero desktop.

Not going to happen in the near future, I know a lot of corporate networks still imaging XP on machines due to the fact that their applications wont run on newer equipment.

Windows 7 will be around until you simply cannot find licenses for it.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Not going to happen in the near future, I know a lot of corporate networks still imaging XP on machines due to the fact that their applications wont run on newer equipment.

Windows 7 will be around until you simply cannot find licenses for it.

Oh, I know it. Still an exciting thing to think about. Also kind of scary that there are so many companies potentially losing money and productivity by under-utilizing modern technology.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

On one hand I could see why it would be free - so they can have as many users on their new platform as possible and kill off their older OS versions very quickly, getting rid of the need to support these anymore and putting them up to task to take on Google etc. They want to be the dominant force for tablets and smartphones etc.

On the other hand, "just because it's free doesn't mean there's not a price to pay". What is that price? Every new release of Windows nets them probably a few billion in sales? I know they have a lot of money, but leaving this much on the table seems so unlike MS. Will I find out too late I made the wrong choice going with a freebie OS? Are we going to  get advertisements on our desktop to fund this or.....

We will see what windows 10 about, but it better run fsx like windows 7 does before all used it. Wait a while no need change over unless forced to play games.

All you're doing by staying back is making it harder for us addon and software developers to move forward. As the operating system matures, new development techniques and such make for better products (not just in the flight sim world, but in the software world as a whole). Older versions of Windows will slowly hold things back over time if people don't upgrade. One unified platform makes relying on dependencies (.NET, Visual C++ Redistributables, DirectX, and even something simple like fonts) so much easier. This is one reason that Windows XP is not supported by many anymore.

Interesting. Hadn't thought about that. But then again when I buy something and, eventually get it working, I'm really not that interested in starting the process all over again. I bought FSX and several addons to sim. Not to tweak and test. I understand how you feel though.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

This has really brought out the 'Nay Sayers' yet again...

What is it with this hobby of ours that we too often see guys trying to justify staying backwards!!

We see.. " I'm happy with .. FS2004/FX/FS/Windows XP/Windows 7/Windows 8.1... (fill in whatever), why should I change to ............ (fill in the gaps).

Is it only within this hobby of ours where guys blow their trumpets & tell us that they will not move forward, & try to justify it?

For goodness sake, stay behind, stick to your whatever, &...

Who the h_ll actually cares when a some random guy wants to stay behind, & stands on his soap box & proclaims to the world?

Stick to your FSX/FSX:Steam & other 8 year old games, outdated OS's etc..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Aint no such thing as a free lunch!

how long is the lifetime of the device????? I make it more than 5 years  do you think they will still release updates for it in 20 years ? i dont think so! after all this is M.S. we are talking about .

I also wish they would write their blogs in english not bablespeak

Nigel.Porter

They know what they are doing. There are no new CPU's in the pipelines to back them up and for the near future but they need to put behind Window 8 asap, After the year of releasing Windows 10, new computers will ship with it anyhow and people will have to pay for it. Maybe Mr Gates is lurking around cause it reminds me of IE introduction.

No new CPU no new Desktop and ergo no Win10. But I have a Laptop with Win7. It might get it for kicks and giggles.

Cheers,

Be careful everyone, who has a 'happy' working W7.(anything).  There has been some discussion that this is a 'carrot' dangling.

W10 might be coded for a yearly 'subscription' model...whereby you need to yearly, update a license (drop the coin) to insure/release it to operate.  Microsoft is all of a sudden, handing out full-system upgrade freebies?   Really?

I'd be careful about this...and cautious. This could be an ingenious way to produce a renewable revenue stream.

The 'talk' is that after the year-to-upgrade session has gone and passed, the 'subscription-to-operate announcement' could be forthcoming for those that have gone past W7 or W8.

Just sayin....

Man: The pessimism that certain things bring out is amazing! I have always said "If you get a group of people together to do something there are problems" I can't believe some of you aren't playing FS2 on a 4GB hard drive. I do agree that I may not be the first one to jump on the bandwagon for W10 but I am not going to bash it in a forum when I do not know anything about it! I watched the release video and saw some promising things that could really help our hobby. How many of you that are slamming Microsoft watched or read any material? You are still using a lot of their products and must agree that they do put out quality items. How many of you are running AMD processors instead of INTEL?

Sorry I am rambling. Just saying.

I wish they would make a stripped down windows gamer edition that just had the basics with no bloatware

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I wish they would make a stripped down windows gamer edition that just had the basics with no bloatware

I couldn't agree more, exactly my thoughts when beta testing it and the Windows 10 installer was only 4GB at that time. The Beta was a barebones O/S and worked better then anything I've seen in a long time. Yet to be determined if the final release works as good but my guess is it's going to be fat. They will try to make too many people happy and make them unhappy at the same time  :rolleyes:

Matthew Kane

I couldn't agree more, exactly my thoughts when beta testing it and the Windows 10 installer was only 4GB at that time. The Beta was a barebones O/S and worked better then anything I've seen in a long time. Yet to be determined if the final release works as good but my guess is it's going to be fat. They will try to make too many people happy and make them unhappy at the same time  :rolleyes:

What do you think the market would be for such a system? (Not that I don't want one)