Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 to be a FREE upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users

I wish they would make a stripped down windows gamer edition that just had the basics with no bloatware

Do you by your PCs from OEMs? They tend to throw a bunch of unnecessary applications and stuff on your PC. A clean install of Windows is very fast and and doesn't have any "bloatware."

Brandon Filer

Windows has always had a tool to allow you to remove unwanted features

Do you by your PCs from OEMs? They tend to throw a bunch of unnecessary applications and stuff on your PC. A clean install of Windows is very fast and and doesn't have any "bloatware."

I've been building all my own systems for years

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I wish they would make a stripped down windows gamer edition that just had the basics with no bloatware

But that's how it is right now, as long as you don't buy a prebuilt computer.

Interesting thread with the varied opinions one would expect from this crowd.  I have been using FSX Gold, FSX SE, and P3D2.4 in Windows 10 now since the Windows Insider program started and couldn't be happier with performance.  I have updated all my home-built computers and use it daily on my main machine. 

The biggest obstacle to enjoying FSX for me up until that time was the controller drop-outs introduced with Win8/8.1   That is now history with Win10 as I've taken over 100 flights since switching with not one hiccup with my joystick.  That's a big one for me, but I understand it is meaningless to those still using Win7.

Win10 looks to be the same type of update to Win8/8.1 as Windows 7 was to Vista.  The cycle seems to repeat itself.  In any event the new OS, although still in the alpha/beta stage, is really stable for me and is likely to be a win-win for those who decide to make the switch.  Just my opinion, of course YMMV.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

What do you think the market would be for such a system? (Not that I don't want one) 

I think if anyone could deliver a Gaming O/S that would be Steam, but not sure how well it will catch on. They don't seem to be focusing on the hard core Gamers with it and trying to capitalize on the Family Living Room (again trying to be too many things):

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Matthew Kane

Who wants to be the first Guinea pig to change from their current system (where everything works and causes no major problems) and switch to the new  Windows 10 perhaps before all the bugs are discovered? Any volunteers?

The good news - I think I read that they are giving everybody one year to do the switch for free...   

Windows 8 is a better operating system than Windows 7. Faster, more secure, native USB 3.0 support...the list goes on. If they'd kept the start menu and there hadn't been the controller dropout; I would hazard a guess, most of us would be using it. Windows 10 will be better than Windows 8. The start menu is back and from reports I've read from folks using the technical preview, there is no more controller dropout. It would seem that upgrading would be a no brainer. As far as upgrading the first year for free goes, I would guess that's about MS attempt to simplify support. There are those who will probably not upgrade for their own reasons. That's fine. But if LM upgrades P3D to use DirectX 12, then those using P3D will upgrade or be left behind.

As far back as I can remember, MS has been tick tock. Tick (ME), Tock (XP) Tick (Vista) Tock (7) Tick (8) Tock (10). I can't wait for the release of 10. This is just my personal opinion...no better or worse than anyone else's.

Cheers.

Who wants to be the first Guinea pig to change from their current system (where everything works and causes no major problems) and switch to the new  Windows 10 perhaps before all the bugs are discovered? Any volunteers?

The good news - I think I read that they are giving everybody one year to do the switch for free...   

I have two i7 Desktops at home but the problem is with the installers not letting you install on two different machines at the same time.

I do have three licences for FSX but it is the third party stuff that go online to activate. But I have no problem putting WIndows10 on one of my i7's with FSX:SE and some of my third party stuff I don't really use anymore.

I will do this on my weekend  B)

Matthew Kane

I'm excited to 10, but still found this funny

Very good!

I will do this on my weekend  B)

Cool.  And remember, the next Win10 build (Consumer Preview) is releasing sometime this coming week to all Windows Insiders.  If you do complete the install over the weekend, don't forget to update to the very latest, and likely far more polished, build next week.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

+2

Been thinking this for years. By stripped down we don't mean like Windows basic that limits memory and CPU cores...just remove all the garbage, shovelware and unneeded services.

When you guys are talking about a stripped down version exactly what are you talking about. Is it mail etc. I am running 7 and also using it as a comp for myself and my wife. We have one program for school. I removed all of the extra stuff that originally came with the OS.

The start button griping has always seemed strange to me.  Are people still using the start button?  What is this Windows 95 (cue Rolling Stones music)?  Whether it be Windows 7, 8, 10 just hit the windows key, type the first few letters of what you want and hit enter.  Much quicker than the start button for me.  To be honest, I can't remember the last time I used the start button.

Ryan