Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

I think I am the happiest man on the planet today :)

Hi,

I'm running an AMD HD6850 with an AMD 4 core 3.6GHz proc. Autogen and scenery at max and frames locked at 40.  The only edits to my FSX.cfg are Highmem, Texture bandwidth at 400 (up from 40), most traffic at 15 - 20% except ships at max.  1920x1080 32.  Here are some pictures over KROC.

j5xIi.jpg

VrA8o.jpg

c53mi.jpg

Gf8mB.jpg

mh1AP.jpg

I've always had better performance with AMD. At one time I submitted my fsx.cfg to some online site for tweaking and the results were laughable.  Really.  I checked out the performance in an area which I use for testing and started laughing at how bad the performance was.  In all fairness I think the site was mainly for NVidia.  I do use Gamebooster to prevent unnecessry background tasks from running and run FSX at high priority. Go figure, huh?

Jim F.

edit: I forgot that I do have Force full screen Vsync enabled.

I was a AMD 5870 fan, however I switched to a GTX680 and I never looked backed.. Yes, NVidia all the way when comes to FSX...

Only hope to upgrade to a 980 later in the year.

so +1 Craig....

Hi Craig,

You don't need to look any further beyond that 670 you've got.  I got a new rig with an EVGA 780sc last August and the video card blew up (literally) after about a week.  Since it took a couple of weeks to get the replacement (under guarantee, thankfully) and I couldn't stay without FSX that long, I borrowed a 670 from a friend.  Well, although I'm now back with the 780 I can't say I see any difference in performance at all, and that's with a 4790k processor at 4GHz.   Standard FSX, DX9, at least - I didn't see significant improvements with DX10 so turned it off again.

The gtx670 is still a very good card, I've been running one since they were launched.

I'm running a GTX670 OC 2mb card in the last FSX rig I built in 2012 and it's been a great card for FSX. I see no need to upgrade until I move to a different platform like P3D that utilizes the GPU more, plus I don't play any games so it suites my needs fine.

Prior to that I ran a GTS250 1gb with an OC'ed E8400, on 32bit XP with 2 Ram and even it performed well. The only draw back was texture loading was slow when switching views. Funny thing is I ran that system with the NGX for while and never had an OOM with only 2GB of system memory. Guess I've been lucky to never having been plagued with OOMs like a lot of folks here.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for all the kind comments.   I am still in the honeymoon phase; just flew the NGX from FlyTampa Vienna to FlyTampa Athens, with autogen at Very Dense for the whole flight, plenty AI, thick Opus weather, and 40 FPS.  (ok, 34 on the ground in the airports :wink:)  

.....previously, with the HD 7850, I would have had to have set autogen to sparse for this flight, and would probably have had 23 FPS in the airports, and maybe 29 in the air.

PS..... just want to clarify, I'm not putting forward a nVidia vs AMD/ATI notion with this thread.  I was honestly just talking about one man's experience and how "great performance" is really relative, rather than objective.

I do detest the HD 7850 card  :lol:  but I've had other AMD cards that ....well.... weren't too bad.   Will never get one again though.  I only do flight simming (no other gaming) so will stick with nVidia.   This 670 really is so much better than I was expecting.

Thank you to everyone who offers tweaking and set up help too though.  Information is power!!!  :smile:

I've always used Nvidia cards with all versions of MS flight simulator.  A couple of years ago, I had a video card go and borrowed a fairly high end Radion for a few days whilst I was awaiting my new Nvidia card.

I could never set up the Radion to run FSX well at all and thought the graphics were terrible.

That's not to say that AMD cards are bad, just that i'ts always been clear that MS flight sims work much better with Nvidia.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Craig,

It wasn't my intention to rain on your parade.  I'm just baffled as to why I get the performance I do with AMD cards.  Up until 4 years ago I'd alternate between NVidia and AMD on about a 2 year cycle  (it was pretty much what was on sale at Fry's when the bug struck). A new NVidia would result in a considered reaction that the performance was better; An AMD resulted in a "Whoa!" reaction.  Pretty subjective but true none the less.  I do have an area in which I repeatedly fly in order to evaluate performance and have always gotten far better performance with AMD.

You're 7850 should give better performance than my 6850 and there must be some other factor in play; I just can't imagine what it might be.

What do you intend to do with that dog of a 7850 video card?  I might be interested.

Jim F.

I made almost the same move a few days ago - I have a really pedestrian 2.8Ghz Bloomfield Dell XPS box that came with an ATI HD5670, and yet has always performed pretty well given what it is. I just decided to try and get a bit more life out of this old system before dropping cash on a new self-built set up this year, so I got a GTX 750 Ti SC - a less than stellar Nvidia card by today's standards, but a revelation compared to what I had - though of course I didn't expect or get any FPS improvement (but I do manage a solid 24 in most places and with most planes), I am now able to run at full HD with 12x AA and 16x anisotropic filtering, so my visuals have improved immensely - Nvidia's are well worth the money...

I've always used Nvidia cards with all versions of MS flight simulator.  A couple of years ago, I had a video card go and borrowed a fairly high end Radion for a few days whilst I was awaiting my new Nvidia card.

I could never set up the Radion to run FSX well at all and thought the graphics were terrible.

That's not to say that AMD cards are bad, just that i'ts always been clear that MS flight sims work much better with Nvidia.

IAN

It's an FSX issue for sure. My AMD cards runs better and often outperform Nvidia counterpart in modern games. In game using Mantle engine, You can really see a difference (Battlefield 4).  I am growing tired though of AMD. I like the direction that Nvidia is taking with Shadow Play and I think I will sell my high end AMD card for an equivalent Nvidia.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Hi Craig,

It wasn't my intention to rain on your parade.  I'm just baffled as to why I get the performance I do with AMD cards.  Up until 4 years ago I'd alternate between NVidia and AMD on about a 2 year cycle  (it was pretty much what was on sale at Fry's when the bug struck). A new NVidia would result in a considered reaction that the performance was better; An AMD resulted in a "Whoa!" reaction.  Pretty subjective but true none the less.  I do have an area in which I repeatedly fly in order to evaluate performance and have always gotten far better performance with AMD.

You're 7850 should give better performance than my 6850 and there must be some other factor in play; I just can't imagine what it might be.

What do you intend to do with that dog of a 7850 video card?  I might be interested.

Jim F.

Oh no problem at all Jim, I didn't think you were raining on the parade at all! :smile: .... in fact, if I'm honest I'm glad that some (AMD) users are reporting that they get better performance.   It would be odd if that wasn't the case, and also I didn't want the thread to be a 'AMD bashing' thread.

I'll probably put the 7850 on eBay over the next couple of days.  I'd have been happy to sell it privately but I suspect you're is the US? ... and I'm in the UK, so the shipping / customs could erode any discount I'd happily give to an AVSIM'er.