Sign in to follow this  
Xplosion2002

Need help autolanding the pmdg737ngx

Hello,

I am kinda new to the very cool pmdg 737 ngx and I can do just about everything but autoland. Just before top of decent I would program my radios and my HUDS up display on the center pedestal. I would enter in the elevation, length, and select the ARMIII. After that I would capture the localizer select APP then select CMDB. The aircraft flares like it's supposed to, but then that's it. In videos I have seen the spoilers retract and the reverse trust comes up, when I do it I would usually do it manually and I'm pretty sure that's not right. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks,

Xplosion

Well, you have to arm the spoilers. Take a look near the throttle. There's a notch in the spoiler lever that says "ARM." As for reverse thrust, you have to do that manually.

And before someone else gets to it, full names in the PMDG forums please  :BigGrin:

Well, you have to arm the spoilers. Take a look near the throttle. There's a notch in the spoiler lever that says "ARM." As for reverse thrust, you have to do that manually.

And before someone else gets to it, full names in the PMDG forums please :BigGrin:

Ok I do have one more question. How would I go about assigning my reverse thrust button. When I did it a couple days ago I would have to wait till the engines reached somewhere around 20% n1 till the reverses actually worked. Is the armed spoilers button a button or is it the when I actually move the spoilers axis.

Thanks,

Jack Roberts

The spoiler's arm function is on the speed brake. The second notch says ARM.

To use the reverse thrust, you would either need a proper throttle quadrant (I'm no expert on that) or you could hit F1 to make sure the engines are idle and then just hold down the F2 key on your keyboard.

You can also use buttons for reverse thrust.  I have programmed the spoilers in a similar way on my Saitek throttles.  There is a button behind each detent on the quadrants and I have programmed them using FSUIPC.  The throttle reverse are programmed for each engine using the commands throttle 1 decrease and select repeat when pressed, you select the command throttle 1 cut when released.  You have to have programmed multiple throttles as opposed to the single linked throttle for the two engines.  For me that gives a realistic experience.

The spoiler armed is a similar button and is programmed through FSUIPC on this occasion I select Spoiler Arm Toggle when the button is pressed.  No repeat or release actions need to be programmed.

Brian Crawley

Ok I do have one more question. How would I go about assigning my reverse thrust button. When I did it a couple days ago I would have to wait till the engines reached somewhere around 20% n1 till the reverses actually worked. Is the armed spoilers button a button or is it the when I actually move the spoilers axis.

Hey Jack,

Apart from what the others have mentioned, there are two tutorial flights that came with this aircraft. It would probably do you a lot of good to fly both of them.

Kyle Rodgers

Hey Jack,

Apart from what the others have mentioned, there are two tutorial flights that came with this aircraft. It would probably do you a lot of good to fly both of them.

I have a quick question and I hope you dont mind me asking, but when I was flying a short flight today from KLAS to KSFO the departure went fine and I got up to the cruise altitude and then I heard what I thought was the takeoff configuration, but then I thought to myself im in the air. It kept beeping until I hit the airhorn cutout button. Then on my cabin pressure panel it said auto fail, and the panel turned blank. I want to make sure I dont make this mistake agian.

Thanks

Jack Roberts

I have a quick question and I hope you dont mind me asking, but when I was flying a short flight today from KLAS to KSFO the departure went fine and I got up to the cruise altitude and then I heard what I thought was the takeoff configuration, but then I thought to myself im in the air. It kept beeping until I hit the airhorn cutout button. Then on my cabin pressure panel it said auto fail, and the panel turned blank. I want to make sure I dont make this mistake agian.

Where's the question?  :blink:  :P

I'm assuming you're wondering how this happened...

This incident is not without real world precedent, either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522). The warning sound is rather ambiguous, which led to that accident. The sound, however, was a low pressure warning. My guess is that you left the packs off after starting the engines.

At the most basic level, following the checklist will usually always keep you in line.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle's right. That usually happens because packs are off. Happened to me a couple weeks ago when I was flying for my VA. I got so involved in ATC communications, I forgot to put them on auto again  :lol: Luckily Worldwide Virtual is lenient.

Where's the question?  :blink:  :P

I'm assuming you're wondering how this happened...

This incident is not without real world precedent, either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522). The warning sound is rather ambiguous, which led to that accident. The sound, however, was a low pressure warning. My guess is that you left the packs off after starting the engines.

At the most basic level, following the checklist will usually always keep you in line.

Next time I will make sure to turn my packs on after engine start-up.

Thanks,

Jack Roberts

Kyle's right. That usually happens because packs are off. Happened to me a couple weeks ago when I was flying for my VA. I got so involved in ATC communications, I forgot to put them on auto again  :lol: Luckily Worldwide Virtual is lenient.

I would really like to fly on Vatsim but I am to worried that I will either make mistakes or wont be able to understand them.

I would really like to fly on Vatsim but I am to worried that I will either make mistakes or wont be able to understand them.

The good controllers just roll with it. Mistakes aren't a big deal as long as you stay away from the busy fields while you're learning (and nothing is usually busy until the weekends, or during an "event" anyway). Heck, I'll teach someone how to fly when controlling if it's slow enough.

Kyle Rodgers

The good controllers just roll with it. Mistakes aren't a big deal as long as you stay away from the busy fields while you're learning (and nothing is usually busy until the weekends, or during an "event" anyway). Heck, I'll teach someone how to fly when controlling if it's slow enough.

Kyle is right, its not only controllers but decent pilots as well, all try to help newcomers. Just today I ended up holding short of a runway for about 20 minutes whilst a few guys did go arounds and  a few didn't quite know how to take off. We all try to help each other, but yeah, during a busy event you may not get quite as much slack as on a quiet day.

Just after I posted my comment about being "worried" about vatsim I looked on the website and was thinking to myself I think this would be a good experience. So I may give it a go. What airports do you think would be a good starting airport, and also would it be best to have ATC running on one computer and flight sim on another.

Thanks,

Jack Roberts 

If you're familiar with the West coast start with KLAS-KLAX.. nice short flight with all the parts (departure, enroute, arrival and approach).  Flightplan available on Flightaware.com

Dan Downs KCRP

If you're familiar with the West coast start with KLAS-KLAX.. nice short flight with all the parts (departure, enroute, arrival and approach).  Flightplan available on Flightaware.com

If I do decide to sign up I will definitely fly this route. Do you know if there are any ground movement charts besides the airport diagram. I know they have one for KIAD in Washington. If you know where these charts are available please let me know,

Thanks

Jack Roberts