Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Funny "flash"/flicker with SweetFX

I'm  not sure if anyone has experienced this before, but while using SweetFX under DX10 mode, I'm getting this flicker- or screen flash to white- anytime I get an on-screen dialogue. It also happens when I open a 2D panel, or bring FSX out of focus to go into another application. 

In fact, if I were to hold a window and drag it while FSX is running, it appears that the gamma control goes haywire- and freezes the FSX screen.  I'm on NVIDIA 344.65 driver, thinking if I rolled back the problem would go away, but it's persistent. I also tried several different SweetFX profiles (SweetFX 1.5).

It doesn't affect performance, or playability- but its a bit startling. It's most apparent when using VATSIM on 122.80 and a lot of text messages are appearing on the screen- it's almost as if the bloom is trying too hard to "bloom the text." I hope this is not too confusing.  

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Yeah this happens to me as well.  I've just tried to do away with on screen messages, but i realize this isn't practical for everyone.  Not sure if there is a fix or not.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Ok- I'm glad it's not just me!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

No known fix af far as I know. Very irritating issue.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

This flickering problem has been there quite a long time even before SweetFX was released. It's not a dx10 specific issue, even with dx9 the flashes are still there. Quite annoying when loading a PMDG plane and it undergoes it's 15sec. init phase the screen flashes every second..

Any chance anyone has found a solution for this?  Using SweetFX 2.0.

Try using Reshade instead of sweetfx. Here's a link to Word Not Allowed's site with a description on how to install it: https://#####.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/reshade-very-impressed/

It looks at least as good and I'm not experiencing any flickers since + you have many parameters available to tweak. If you want I can share my mastereffect file for dx10.

Try using Reshade instead of sweetfx. Here's a link to Word Not Allowed's site with a description on how to install it: https://#####.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/reshade-very-impressed/

It looks at least as good and I'm not experiencing any flickers since + you have many parameters available to tweak. If you want I can share my mastereffect file for dx10.

Thanks but unfortunately I tried that as well. Screen still flickers when opening 2d panels or changing views. Also do get API.dll crashes with it. Tried following his directions as well but he makes reference that he is using DX9, not 10, and his "as instructed place [the master effect file] into FSX folder" isn't particularly clear, there are multiple files, so certainly can be an installation error on my part. I certainly can change effects and compile them as advertised, but like I said, frequent CTDs and screen flashing when changing views/panels.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Strange, I just tested again with the latest release of Reshade and it works flawlessly, no crashes, no flashes. There must be something wrong then with your installation.

Make sure you completely removed sweetfx. After that all you need to do is copy the MasterEffect folder, mastereffect.h, Reshade.fx (from mastereffect reborn folder) and Reshade32.dll (from Reshade) into your FSX folder and rename Reshade32.dll to dxgi.dll when running dx10, otherwise it has to be d3d9.dll.

No good, unfortunately.  Still flashing while changing views and API.dll crashes.  (Both of which go away when I remove the ReShade and Mastereffect files.)  Likely back to default I go.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Now that's sad. Are you running an nvidia card with nvinspector? Maybe it's just some config in the driver settings that has to be changed.