Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

WINDOWS 10 and what it mean for us.

Someone in the FSX facebook group brought up, what is to me, an interesting question. With the coming of Windows 10, what does that mean for us. Better compatibility than windows 8.1? He went on to say that he has the windows 10 technical preview and has FSX running on it. Also, for those of us who have Steam edition, will it run since SE is optimized for Windows 8.1? Thoughts?

I can't see a better compatibility as I have no compatibility issues with win 8.1

In opposite, win 8.1 is a much more performant OS then win7 on my system (which has the same components with win7 as with win8). So I do not think, win 10 would bring up any big issues.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We actually do not know, until we run & test it. We have a diverse of equipment, both desktop as well as laptops, & it is actually quite silly trying to pre-empt amswers. Things will run differently for each of us, as we have already seen with guys camparing installs, GPU cards, FSx vs FSX:SE etc..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Well, Vista was Windows version 6.0, Windows 7 is version 6.1, WIndows 8 is v6.2, Windows 8.1 is v6.3, and Windows 10 is version 6.4. So I would say there's a good chance it's going to be compatible. Improvements to networking and graphics came with Win8 as Guenter found.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Don't know enough about Windows 10 or Hololens and how interrelated they are, but Hololens look interesting from a Flight Simming point of view.

Matt Webb

The one things that caught my ear during the Microsoft Windows 10 presentation yesterday was the free update to Windows 10 for all Windows 7 and 8 users.  It is likely this will motivate all the vendors that do not support their products on Windows 8 to support Windows 10.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

FSX Gold, FSX SE, and P3D2.4 all run exceptionally well in Win10 Technical Preview (Build 9926).  I have the latest Win10 build on all my home-built PCs including my main machine and have all three simulators loaded.  The most significant observation, for me, is the complete elimination of the controller drop-out issue that plagued many using Win8/8.1.  With 100+ flights now completed using Win 10 (all builds starting with 9841) I haven't had a single joystick problem... and for me that's great news!

Windows 8/8.1 was actually lighter on resources than Windows 7 and FSX performance was on par and even slightly better, IMHO.  Win10 has been a bit better again, and this is still beta code.  I am very encouraged.  Of course, with the plethora of hardware configurations out there, YMMV.  At least for me, Win10 is shaping up to be an excellent OS release with regard to flight simulation.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

FSX Gold, FSX SE, and P3D2.4 all run exceptionally well in Win10 Technical Preview (Build 9926).  I have the latest Win10 build on all my home-built PCs including my main machine and have all three simulators loaded.  The most significant observation, for me, is the complete elimination of the controller drop-out issue that plagued many using Win8/8.1.  With 100+ flights now completed using Win 10 (all builds starting with 9841) I haven't had a single joystick problem... and for me that's great news!

Windows 8/8.1 was actually lighter on resources than Windows 7 and FSX performance was on par and even slightly better, IMHO.  Win10 has been a bit better again, and this is still beta code.  I am very encouraged.  Of course, with the plethora of hardware configurations out there, YMMV.  At least for me, Win10 is shaping up to be an excellent OS release with regard to flight simulation.

That is good to know, I may be ready to build a new system by the time Windows 10 is released.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

That's good to hear and I hope confirmed by other Win 8 users.  I'm D/Ling 9926 as I type but not usrer how I will deploy it.  Among other things I need Windows Media Center on my HTPC machine and I don't know if Win10 is going to support WMC any more (MS seems to be content to let WMC die off).  Apparently people have used their Win 8 media center pack to add it to earlier Win10 builds, but after doing that Win10 wouldn't update any more as it showed a different build.

scott s.

Thanks Doug. This is what I wanted to hear. I quit 8 and went back to  7, because of the controller dropout and no other reason. IMO, 8 is just a better version of 7 if you add a 3rd party start menu (Start 8, etc).

Now it's early days, but imagine using a desktop computer and screens only for the outside view; and sitting in a virtual flight deck that's a hologram. I think MS were very wise to make the HoloLens a see through setup. What is it they call it 'augmented reality'? Excellent idea. Not the first, I'm sure. But if they get it right, it will revolutionize not just flight sim, but also PC gaming. Try not to get myself too hyped up.

I am an early adopter of OS and I am running it on my secondary computer. I love the new Windows 10 but I don't dare install it and then run FSX. I am a heavy user of 3rd party addons and there are developers such as PMDG who do not support Windows 8 or 10. Please consider this before replacing Windows 7 with  Windows 10. You may run into problems with complex addons. There was a simmer who was having issues with Windows 8 in the PMDG forums and they were told by PMDG support that that OS is not supported. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Installed (upgraded actually from Windows 7/64 bit Ultimate) to Windows 10 build 9926 as my primary OS, FSX, FSX-SE and P3D 2.4 all running fine.

all major add ons for FSX and P3d are installed and no issue what so ever (PMDG 777, 737) for example.

I left FSX-SE with no scenery addons and installed PMDG 777, DX10 fixer and Opus weather to enjoy a full flight to any where in the world with no OOM problems.

Joystick Saitek X-55 running with no single drop out on any simulator that I have so far.

Windows 10 looks very modern and elegant to me.

P.S. a full week now with no single BSOD on a test build, very impressive.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

penta_a - glad to see someone else with the same experience as me.  I am very encouraged in these early Windows 10 days!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64