Sign in to follow this  
ViperPilot

A Good Candidate For FS(?

Greetings!

I hope it's OK to Post this in the FS9 Forum; if it isn't, please place it in the appropriate place...

My 'old school' P4 Desktop, which I've had FS9 installed on for years, has finally Gone West.

I've now been contemplating installing FS9 on my Dell laptop, but was wondering if it has enough firepower to run FS9 with:

- Default Setup (AI, FSRealWX, ATC).

- Freeware Scenery Enhancements (Basic Water, a couple of small Mesh Areas for Denver, Canyonlands & Alaska, but not on the order of Taburet or Holger).

- Default Aircraft, Freeware (Shupe, Gladden, MJ's C-47, etc.), Payware A/C (Carenado C-206, C-182, Virtavia Long EZ, for example).

Now, the 411 on the Laptop:

Dell Studio 1558 (Vostro 3700)
Core I5 M240 2.4GHz
4Gb RAM
ATI Radeon 5000HD 1Gb GPU (standalone)
200Gb HD for FS (500Gb HD with 2 partitions; 240Gb - O/S, 240Gb - Data)
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

I would like to hear your Comments and Recommendations, but please go easy on me! :P

Thanks for looking!

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Should be fine Alan.

Remember our beloved FS2004 was released in late 2003 (?) where graphics cards with 512Mb on board was considered exotic and Ram was expensive.

As always it is wise to apply the 9.1 and 3Gb/4Gb patches together with making FS9 'large address aware.'

Alan, should be fine. I have a similar spec'd laptop & am running FS9 as well as a regressed version called 'Golden Wings', both with a huge amount of addons.

All runs perfect. I tried FSX... forget it. Slow, jumpy & a pain.

Fs9 still rules! (if you do not have the latest & greatest hardware)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

That laptop is better than the one I use... And I'm for the most part fine with Fs9 on it. And I do use a large number of addons... Make sure your disk is high speed. That's the biggest bottle neck on my system.

Regarding FSX as mentioned by a poster above, my system and probably yours too is insufficient for anything but bone stock FSX. But FSXSE runs just fine...

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your Replies! And, I apologize for the errant punctuation mark in the Title!  :P

I'll have a look at the Large Address and the 4Gb patch for sure. I know of the 'standard' Tips like Installing to C:/ instead of Program Files, and to 'Run as Administrator', but if there are any more things I should do, by all means send them my way!

Thanks again!

Alan :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

are any more things I should do

Alan as I note you don't have SSD storage, if you firstly defrag then add your sceneries West to East starting at Hawaii, your disc access/throughput will be marginally faster and smoother given your cpu.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your Replies! And, I apologize for the errant punctuation mark in the Title!  :P

I'll have a look at the Large Address and the 4Gb patch for sure. I know of the 'standard' Tips like Installing to C:/ instead of Program Files, and to 'Run as Administrator', but if there are any more things I should do, by all means send them my way!

Thanks again!

Alan :smile:

The standard Tips of installing to C:/  .....

I have installed FS9 (x2 versions), FSX, & P3D into their default directories, after dropping the UAC slider (that is of no use at all) right down.

I have NEVER had any problems at all! I have also done this on many (probably about 30) installs at the Virtual Flying Club I belong to.

There are also many comments on various forums from guys that install into default directories without any problems as well.

Sometimes, comments within forums become legends!

As I said, I'm using W7 64bit, 4GB RAM. I have also not used any large Address and the 4Gb patch at all.

Try the basics, & try not to fix that whats not broke!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thanks again for the replies!

Appliance - I presume you're talking about Add on Scenery, where East will end up higher on the List than West?

One more question... when installing add ons, will Administrator issues crop up, and if they do, what is the correct course of action? My thought is if the root FS9 Folder is set to 'Run as Administrator', I should be OK... right?

Many thanks again!

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

If Administrator issues do crop up, which they very well might if you've never installed to the default directory before, you can do away with them forever and ever by transferring ownership of the FS9 directory to your account name. It's not difficult to do - but I have been problem free for three years now, so consequently I've forgotten all the details of the process. Google is your friend here - and take my experience as testimony to the effectiveness of the procedure - as I mentioned above, I've never run into an administrator issue at any time in the last three-and-a-half years since I got this computer, despite having FS installed in the default directory.

At last.. Another default directory user.

Guys, try it. It works. Also, some installers battle to find the FS directory if not default.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

where East will end up higher on the List than West?

Thats correct Alan.  Not so important if you only have several sceneries though essential when you have hundreds.  B)

BTW add photographic sceneries within a region first, followed by LandClass files, 'normal' sceneries and finally by airports.

Cheers.

I'll have a look at the Large Address and the 4Gb patch for sure.

You will be using Windows 7 64bit so you will not need the 4gb patch. That is only needed on 32bit operating systems. Do however make FS9 large address aware. That will save you some headaches once you start adding stuff to the simulator that adds to the work load of the simulator.

Regards,

Mel - can you explain a bit more about making "FS9 large address aware?" I don't recall having heard that before and am curious how to go about it

Cheers mate

Ian

Ian,

I found this Thread using Google (as ematheson suggested)... I take it you need to have FS9 installled...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/344119-large-address-aware-4-gig-patch-better-instructions/..

Going to make the Install this weekend... hope everything goes OK!

Thanks again to everyone for their tips and for holding my hand as I give this a go!

Alan  :P

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Thanks Alan. I have long used the 4gb patch so I don't think this is an issue for me. I was just curious about how one would make FS9 "large address aware" without using the 4gb patch.

Good luck with the new install. My recent experience tells me it might be a couple of weeks before you get everything just the way you like it but the end result is worth it